Honda Element Owners Club banner
41 - 60 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I too bought reflectix. After I bought it online from home depot, I found out that lowes carries in stock.
I'm doing a week long bike ride in June and need to camp in the E one night. I'm camping at a truck stop and was going to buy a curtin from E bay, but the reflectix was about a third of the price. I keep it rolled up in the garage with a bungee. I got the idea from Lifizgood. It was very easy to do.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Cyclist_306 said:
I'm camping at a truck stop and was going to buy a curtin from E bay, but the reflectix was about a third of the price.
Not to mention that it looks like it would actually do a better job. From what I can tell, the curtains all leave big gaps between them and the window, especially along the rear.

- Jeff

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Okay, so I went to a local $0.98 store and picked up a sunshade. The height is just about right for the sunroof and I had to do some minor trimming. I taped up the edges with black gaffer's tape and installed some grommets and suction cups. The whole process took about 20 minutes and the fit is great!

Attachments

·
EOC Rank: Granny Smith Apple
2,593 Posts
tidy job there, ......
j.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Sheniferous said:
Okay, so I went to a local $0.98 store and picked up a sunshade. The height is just about right for the sunroof and I had to do some minor trimming. I taped up the edges with black gaffer's tape and installed some grommets and suction cups. The whole process took about 20 minutes and the fit is great!
That may be the best MOD of 2006....:D I have the screen, However it does still let in some sun/heat... I may do this MOD to add to the screen.... Thanks for the pics...:cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Amazingly simple and elegant, I must say. Makes me real glad that I found this site immediately after deciding on buying my Element. I especially liked the sunroof/suction cup post.

Question remains - what are most doing for the front windshield? It seems like the Reflectix is suffienct for the sides/back, but that leaves the front still.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi Kids,
I just performed this mod: 15 bucks for the Reflectix at the Home Depot and a lazy 45 minutes in my driveway, too easy. Be sure to buy the roll that is 16 inches wide, there is enough for all the windows except the windshield. For the sunroof I cut a 30 in wide piece and 2 X 5 inches wide. Duct tape the smaller ones along the top seam (small overlap)and presto, exactly the size needed for the sunroof. All 4 corners act as a tab to hold it in place with the window open (parked) or shut.

Bungeed them into a roll-up bundle for easy transport and I'm ready for camping next weekend. Thinking of duct taping a balsa wood dowel across each one to act as a stiffener and to prolong their life, but then they won't roll up for transport.

Classic DIY mod and easy,
KM

·
Registered
110 Posts
made Reflectix panels too

I made some space age panels too thanks to the ideas on this thread. I bought a 24 inch by 10 ft roll of the stuff for $10.59 and made panels for the 2 back side windows, the moonroof, and the front windshield. The back side panels stay in place very well. The moonroof panel needs some support I think. Plan to add velcro to the corners for support. At Home Depot yesterday, I found that they sell a velcro designed to stick to vinyl. So I'll give that a try.

The rest of the roll was used for the windshield, but was about 8 inches too short. So I spliced a scrap piece onto the large section with aluminum tape and that holds the pieces together pretty well. The rest of the windows I had already made individual curtains which will be held in place with button magnets.

Now I'm ready for my Colorado to Maryland camping road trip!

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Sheniferous said:
Just found your post... kudos and thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
lifeizgood said:
I went with the ReflectIX: $17.50 w/tax at Lowe's for a 25' x 16" roll. Not tall enough for the front window but I have heavy shades for that. It took about 45 minutes to cut 'em all out (I'm pretty meticulous). Once done, I rolled them up and wrapped a loose bungee cord around them and tossed them in the back. I cut them large initially, tucking the material tightly into the inner frame of the window, then cutting an inch beyone that crease, and finally trimming 'til they looked clean. Take a look...
P.S. Nothing for the sunroof done yet.
There isn't an edging around them or anything? just cut them and press them in place?
PERFECT!
in my civic I used those round wire things, could put them all up from the font seat, now I'll have to get up and walk around....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sunshades for Window Panels

Caught the post referring to the sunshades from the 98 cent store. Thought this was a neat idea, so went to our local dollar store and bought 5 sunshades, and 5 packs of velcro (total cost 10 bucks plus tax). We then cut the sunshades into the shape of each window, leaving a little overlap to install the velcro fasteners. We also marked the panels to correspond with the window that each panel was made for (ex. left front, left mid, left rear etc...). For the front window, we just used an uncut sunshade. Have enclosed some pics of the final product. The panels work great and are very easy to install and uninstall. However, note that if you do this method, you'll have to accept installing some velcro on the interior of your element.

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
t00n said:
However, note that if you do this method, you'll have to accept installing some velcro on the interior of your element.
Interesting idea.

It seems to me that, for the door windows at least, magnets instead of velcro might work. (Maybe attach them to the sunscreen with a square of duct tape over them, which would also protect the paint.)

- Jeff

·
Registered
5 Posts
Velcro

Here's what it looks like with just the velcro installed. The velcro's acceptable to me, but some might not like it. The advantage of using velcro is the ease and speed at which you can install and remove the panels. It's great if you're active campers (like us), or just use your element as a mobile Motel 6 ;-). But remember to use the velcro sparingly if you go this route.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Motels

t00n said:
Caught the post referring to the sunshades from the 98 cent store. Thought this was a neat idea, so went to our local dollar store and bought 5 sunshades, and 5 packs of velcro (total cost 10 bucks plus tax). We then cut the sunshades into the shape of each window, leaving a little overlap to install the velcro fasteners. We also marked the panels to correspond with the window that each panel was made for (ex. left front, left mid, left rear etc...). For the front window, we just used an uncut sunshade. Have enclosed some pics of the final product. The panels work great and are very easy to install and uninstall. However, note that if you do this method, you'll have to accept installing some velcro on the interior of your element.
To think, some folks spend thousands on trailers.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Grommets

Sheniferous said:
I like this the best. How do you install grommets? Where do you get gaffer's tape?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I like this the best. How do you install grommets? Where do you get gaffer's tape?

You can get grommets and the grommet tool at almost any fabric store. For gaffer's tape try a photo supply or photo rental outfit. It is just strong fabric-type tape, so "similar" might be available at office supply places for things like book spine repair.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Does anyone have a template that I can use to cut out the reflectix for my windows?

I made the reflectix panels -- I didn't use a template, just kind of "eyed it" cut it a little large then cut to fit, making sure you leave a little extra for "stuffing"-- Once you get done with one side you have the templates for the other side:D I used another windshield visor for the back window.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
18 Posts
48" x 10' Roll of Reflectix is perfect

Wow, this has probably been said to death, but I just made my Reflectix panels, and it was easy and works great!

I found a 48" x 10' roll at my local hardware store (didn't have to order from the big chain store), and it did the job for all windows, including windshield and skylight.

I just used a seamstress style tape measure to get the rough dimensions (and to kind of lay out how I cut the roll up in order to have left what I needed for the windshield all in one piece)...then I just eyeballed it a little, held them up, trimmed here and there, and done.

That size roll did the job, and was big enough to give me a little room for scraps and such...didn't have to cut the perfect sizes the first time.

One step closer to being ready to camp in the new rig. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
My first real "do-it-yourself" mod!!!

Here it is ladies and germs!!!

One 16" x 25' roll of Reflectix from Home Depot: $15
My time: 60 minutes
My first real mod and my wife calling me a nerd: PRICELESS!!!

41 - 60 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.