Honda Element Owners Club banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great job earthBum, wish I had jacked some of the black napkins from my old job. is it just me or does that pattern in the windows make you hungry for Curry?

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Privacy Curtains"

glad if that helped anybody's side curtain issues. i'm still looking for a solution for the rear side windows. Right now, i actually just stuff two pillows, one for either side, behind the seat belt tensioners. then across the back i use an aphgan, clipped, to the "latch system" for the child seats. oh, and i just use a mercedes benz M-class sunscreen shield for up front, and fits the E's windshield snug and tight. for the door windows, i am currently just opening the door, then hang a dull colored towel, just into the door channel, then shutting the door. ...no one can see in

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Anyone ever consider just throwing a 5% of tint on the windows in the back?
thats what i did. works out fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Covering for Windshield

As noted, can't buy material large enough for windshield. Thick windshield cover available from a couple of sources including some who advertise on this site for keeping sun off the dashboard, steering wheel, etc. Works well. rolls up for storage.

·
Registered
10 Posts
DIY Screens?

Great ideas in this thread! Currently comtimplating different ideas for camping this summer in WV.

Has anyone completed any mods for the window screens, especially the rear sun roof? I looked at the instructions for the Honda sunlight screen and it looks like more then I want to take on. Pictures would be appreciated please. :grin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Reflectix Question- 16" vs. 24" roll

I've reviewed the numerous posts but am not finding the answer. When I went out to measure my windows I found that they are about 17" high- how is it that you're getting away with the 16" X 25' roll? Are you doubling the material to get that height? At Home Depot they also see the 24" one- while it's a few dollars more, I'm thinking I would rather cut to fit than have to double it. What am I missing here-
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100020855/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Here it is ladies and germs!!!

One 16" x 25' roll of Reflectix from Home Depot: $15
My time: 60 minutes
My first real mod and my wife calling me a nerd: PRICELESS!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this thread has been going on for years, but it was a big help when I was considering privacy curtains. I'm glad I found it. Like many others, I made my own Reflectix inserts. I posted some 'how-to' pics and pics of how I store mine. I hope it can be of help to someone else.

Click here to check out the post.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Curtains

I think I'll go with the curtain idea. I'm going to check if this will work.
Sew some material panels that will fit the windows out to the metal. Sew in those small round magnets in the corner of the material (the material will have two pieces sewn together with the magnet in between). Hopefully, they will then just stick to the metal at all four corners and the material will keep the paint from getting scratched. I'm in the house at midnight, so will need to check the windows tomorrow and where the metal is to see if this will work. Seems it would work on all windows. Thank all of you for all the ideas!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just finished up my Reflectix panels. I used the following preliminary measurements cut out of the 24"x10' roll I purchased @ Home Depot ($24):

Front windows: 32.5"x16.5"
Suicide doors: 16.5"x15.5"
Rear windows: 26.5"x14.5"
Back window: 41"x15"
Sunroof: 30.5"x21"

I cut the squares for all the windows on the left side and the back window. After cutting the squares, I just pushed them into position and noted where I needed to trim them down. Then I used the trimmed left side panels as templates for the right side. I did the sunroof last. Took about an hour and a half from start to finish. The 24" roll might be tall enough to do the windshield as well, but I just ordered a Covercraft UVS100 for the windshield so I didn't bother. There was plenty of roll left over in case I had over-trimmed one of them.

To hold the sunroof panel in, I opened the sunroof, stuffed the corners under and then closed it. Do you think that will still be watertight?

I would post photos, but they just look like all the other ones already on here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey - new to the forums. The Reflectix stuff is nifty, but I'm thinking of going with a more long term solution. One thing I haven't seen are fabric covered panels being created.

Example: Cut a piece of cardboard to match the element window size, wrap it on both side with fabric, still a handle on one side and mount it with velcro.

My plan right now is to just do this for the back windows, because I want to create a fabric mounted wall between the front seats and the rear (for more stealth camping). If this works well I'll probably make them for the front side windows but the front window itself will be a big more challenge because of the curve and angle. I'm actually SHOCKED nobody is making these for the Element and selling them on Etsy or something... if the effort is so low, seems like a no brainer. With the cardboard mounted ones especially someone could wrap them with interesting fabrics (ala the napkin earlier in the thread) for a touch of personalization. I personally am going with all black for the back windows. Since it'll be obvious I'm car camping with the front ones I may go funky there though.

·
Registered
648 Posts
To hold the sunroof panel in, I opened the sunroof, stuffed the corners under and then closed it. Do you think that will still be watertight?
And you can not make the holes and mount the suction cup sunroof? This will provide you with waterproof.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts