Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
You should be okay. We've pulled our Aliner Sport, which weighs about the same, for around 20,000 miles with no problems.

Three things you, or someone who knows about RVs, should check:

1- Tires. They may have good tread but if they are over five years old trash them. New Mexico sun can kill tires.

2- Wheel bearings. How long has it been since they were re-packed? If in doubt have them re-packed before towing it for any great distance.

3- Caulking. Small RV trailers have tons of caulked seams. The caulk deteriorates over time and needs to be renewed. Failing to do so may cause water leaks that can lead to major problems. Check the floor at inside corners for signs of water damage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Number34, I wanted to look at your vintage trailer, but the seller pulled their photo ad. How about you post a photo for us to see?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I m new to the forum, I ve just had a broken front axle on a 2004 EX bought it w 194k and now have 200,700!
My transmission guy said my trans is in good shape but towing anything with an Element this old is asking for
big trouble.
I m going to post about my axle issues in the other section, but would love to hear from experienced owners who have towed a SMALL boat. I m a sailor and just want to tow about 1200lbs total including trailer!!

I love my Element and originally thought these great cars could haul that easily.

feedback please!
thanks
Lou

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I think it's rated for up to 1500 lbs and 150 lb tongue weight -IF- you have a frame mounted hitch. I pull near that quite often with a small 5x7 utility trailer and large lawn mower with no problems. No "lead-foot" driving. I can't imagine anyone knowledgeable trying to blame an axle problem on towing if done responsibly.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine still runs when i ask it to, 342k and tow a 4x8 harborfreight trailer, modded it with a longer tongue, and utility rack, usually put a pretty heavy mower on it. The run i make is 40ish miles with some nasty hills, never had an issue.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I m new to the forum, I ve just had a broken front axle on a 2004 EX bought it w 194k and now have 200,700!
My transmission guy said my trans is in good shape but towing anything with an Element this old is asking for
big trouble.
I m going to post about my axle issues in the other section, but would love to hear from experienced owners who have towed a SMALL boat. I m a sailor and just want to tow about 1200lbs total including trailer!!

I love my Element and originally thought these great cars could haul that easily.

feedback please!
thanks
Lou
They can tow their rated capacity if they have been well maintained and are in good condition. If they have worn out parts ready to fail, those are likely to do so sooner.

Front axles don't break from pulling trailers, but from suspension damage hitting stuff. What towing trailers can do is put more stress on the brakes, transmission and make the engine work harder, and run hotter. So more frequent fluid and changes and brake maintenance is needed. If your transmission is in good shape,not "good shape for an old car I'm surprised is still running", then towing a 1200# trailer will not kill it. Be aware that you need to reduce the 675# cargo capacity of the vehicle by the trailer tongue weight or handling will suffer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts