Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found the exact model E I want. The out the door price is excellent...very close to what I wanted to pay. But it's still a tad high. I don't know if I should post numbers...

Anyway, since I have financing already through my employee credit union. The cashiers check I'll be getting from them plus my cash will be $1300 under the best out the door price I was able to get.

Do you all think I can toss in my car (a '99 Explorer...worth $1299 per Kelly Blue Book) and get the Element? Honestly, I don't want to deal with getting rid of the Explorer myself. I'd love to just drive in with it and leave with the E.

ETA: Lots of people have read this, but none have shared their opinion. Starting to think it's a foolish idea. I'm so sick of this process. I'm so busy with the rest of my life. I don't have hours and hours to devote to this process.

·
Registered
161 Posts
give it a whirl... you won't know unless ya try. dealership may meet ya on the trade cuz they can sell it to someone...

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have always found cash in hand talks and if you walk in with the cashiers check or cash and the keys/title to that car they will budge and buckle to you. Give it a shot, whats the worst that happens they say they simply won't? Just have faith and be confident

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Sounds like a good plan... My only difference was that I got a better deal on my Jeep Cherokee because of the "Cash-For-Clunkers" program... Go for it...!

Best wishes and post your pics in the "Greets and Intros" section when you get her...!

LBD

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problem is that this dealer is two hours away. I know that he realizes this (my area code is very specific) and I bet he knows he's the only one in the state with a slew of AWD EX with Navis on the lot.

Ugh. I might drive two hours and get nothing for it.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Don't know until you put it on the table...
Yes it may be 2 hours away, but what's the E worth to you?

Worse case, you walk away...which you may have to do, if they think they have over a barrel.

Do a bit of research first, and see if you can find similar vehicles on line, farther away...
If they realize that time and distance is of little importance to you, they may realize they don't have that as a bargaining chip...

·
Registered
816 Posts
The only problem is that this dealer is two hours away. I know that he realizes this (my area code is very specific) and I bet he knows he's the only one in the state with a slew of AWD EX with Navis on the lot.

Ugh. I might drive two hours and get nothing for it.

jeanine,,last year when i was element shopping i drove over 2 hours each way twice to look and they where both uncared for cars...i know it stinks driving around looking...i looked for 4 weeks and drove from n.y to jersey and long island,,i almost gave up looking at an element cause i could not find a good one in my price range,,,,THEN,,,i saw one online from a private owner 3 hours away from me each way,,i thought hard if i wanted to take another long ride ,but i did,,and the outcome was the element was awsome ,,everything i wanted and we worked out a deal that i got the element cheaper then i wanted,,,moral of this story,,,take your time and be patient,,,you will find your element,,best of luck to you..

·
Registered
13 Posts
I understand your concerns

I have had my 2006 EXP in Metalic Tangerine for two weeks and can't be happier but we exceeded our budget for the vehicle with my trade in. I lost on the trade in but have no regrets. If they can't meet your price and there is no stretch in your budget.....walk away. It took me two years to find an EXP with 40,000 miles on in such good condition. I can't buying any vehicle new this day and age. Don't put yourself at risk to have the Dream vehicle. There is one out there for you on your terms if you can be patient.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got lucky. The only E worth having within 250 miles of my house was right in my area.

I would look at it like this. 6 hours driving is a small price to pay for years of driving enjoyment in the car that you want.

I would tell them that I have cash in hand and I drove 3 hours to look at their E. This is a one shot deal. I'll either buy it tomorrow or you'll loose selling the car to me forever. Tell them to have their best deal ready.

In my case I started beating the sales manager up for accessories when I got in the price range that I wanted. When he wouldn't budge another inch, I told him that I would write him a check for the car on the spot if he would throw in an engine air filter for my Ridgeline. He was so shocked by the request that he caved and threw in the air filter. He claimed it was the strangest request he had ever had in a negotiation but he wouldn't throw in a Coke after the fact.

Don't be afraid to ask for what you want. You might just get it. :razz:

·
Registered
480 Posts
It's really up to you. You're the one that has to make the payments. I realized I payed too much for mine when I started looking through threads on here. I didn't have a trade and I had to have the dealer make a deal with another dealer who had exactly what I wanted on order. This put me at an obvious disadvantage. One thing I absolutely will NOT do is play the ping-pong game with salesmen and the sales manager and I told the salesman this. He wrote down the initial numbers, I countered, out comes the sales manager, game over. I was, and still am happy. I didn't get the super cheap deal that some have got, but I didn't pay sticker either. You're always gonna hear about someone getting a better deal then you did. In the end, as long as you're happy, that's all that really matters.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cash doesn't impress a dealership. They always get cash. Either from your check, real cash, or from the finance company. Actually....they would prefer you not bring cash, they do better when they provide the financing.

You might impress them with fact that's all you have to offer.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wooot, congratz.:grin:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where is this dealer that has all e's, i live in va. And none near me have what i want. Good luck with yours.
I used Pohanka in Fredericksburg.

They have 1 other AWD EX with Navi on the lot...it was in Omni Blue Pearl. Fairfax Honda has one in black or Polished Metal Metallic.

If you use Pohanka, the internet guy is Mel Girardin. He was very nice. Tell him I sent you. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts