Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received a call from local dealer yesterday Dec 9/19. Honda engineers and designers will be in town Friday for inspections on Honda Elements. Inspecting the same issue as the CRVs - frame corrosion issues. I was told this is the testing and inspections that could, I repeat could, result in a recall (NO RECALL active as of now though). After asking some questions, I decided to volunteer mine. Somewhat nervous to be honest. They keep the vehicle all day give me rental for day. I've never started a thread on this forum so don't know the rules but thought I should post one. Didn't see any related to this in the threadlist for TSB-RECALL-NOTICES.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Do you think this is a Canada specific thing? (Assuming that is where you are from?)

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
826 Posts
Received a call from local dealer yesterday Dec 9/19. Honda engineers and designers will be in town Friday for inspections on Honda Elements. Inspecting the same issue as the CRVs - frame corrosion issues. I was told this is the testing and inspections that could, I repeat could, result in a recall (NO RECALL active as of now though). After asking some questions, I decided to volunteer mine. Somewhat nervous to be honest. They keep the vehicle all day give me rental for day. I've never started a thread on this forum so don't know the rules but thought I should post one. Didn't see any related to this in the threadlist for TSB-RECALL-NOTICES.
That is interesting. And it's the first time I have ever heard about a possible recall by anyone due to frame corrosion issues.

Recalling cars that are now between 9 and 17 years old for frame corrosion would be a great PR move for Honda, I suppose. But what and how would they make a repair on a corroded frame? Wouldn't there be some sort of anticipated limited life expectancy for the under-bodies of cars driven in road salt areas?

Please keep us informed as to how this plays out for you. I'm really curious!

Thanks! : - )

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That is interesting. And it's the first time I have ever heard about a possible recall by anyone due to frame corrosion issues.

Recalling cars that are now between 9 and 17 years old for frame corrosion would be a great PR move for Honda, I suppose. But what and how would they make a repair on a corroded frame? Wouldn't there be some sort of anticipated limited life expectancy for the under-bodies of cars driven in road salt areas?

You never heard of the Toyota truck frame recall ???
There most likely be no repair. Honda will buy your vehicle back at market value.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I think this is Honda getting out front here. Lots of stuff on this for the CRV on internet. The CRVs (years 2007-11) with same frame/platform as Element as I understand, were a recall from CanadaTSB for specific regions in Canada where salt on roads is used a lot. Rear trailing arm corrosion as I understand. Yes in Canada....I am in NB here on east coast. Yeah will update as things go. If the CRV failed the hammer-punch test pounded on the frame, vehicle is deemed undrivable. Options were repair (big dollars) or Honda buys the vehicle at a price using a certain formula. I believe most that failed took the buyback. A colleague at work told me her neighbour's CRV failed earlier this year, took the buyout and were satisfied with the $ amount considering the year and condition. Anyway, don't want to get to far ahead of myself here but will update - will be driving my 2010 by Friday at supper or I won't be.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i am so interested in this thread, but i suppose it won’t end up pertaining to me (2010 Element) even though i live in an area where extreme salt is used for almost half of every year. In fact now they use “brine” which holds onto frames, paint, etc. much worse - harder to wash off for sure. i’m in wisconsin, now, & we have weather as bad or worse than some areas in canada.

wonder if there will be any more info about this... we sure should be included here.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I'm remembering that the cost of taking care of all the Elements in Canada would be a WHOLE lot less than doing the same thing for all the Elements in the United States. They can take my Element when I can't pry it from their cold dead hands.

·
Registered
85 Posts
102K on my '11 right now. Garaged 99% of the time and not often driven in the salt. It's usually given a very good wash as soon as the weather warms after driving in the four weather. I'm not giving up my Element for next to anything. My biggest fear is getting hit by a non insured non driver and having to find a replacement as good as the one I have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We got the same phone call, from Moncton Honda. We own 2 Elements, an 04 and an 06. The 04 passed, but the 06 didn't and they did not let us drive it home. Still waiting to hear from them with an offer/next steps. Jake2004 are you from the Moncton area?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update...sorry for delay. To Brookside Sue above, yes in your area. I ended up deciding not to bring my vehicle in. I called the dealer day before Honda team in city and asked what guarantee they could give if it failed. All I was told was I would be given a rental until such time as a decision is made on next steps. Next step I think being advising TSB Canada they would need to issue recall on the vehicles. I decided against bringing vehicle in because there was no official TSBCanada recall active on that day (obviously as that's why they are doing inspections) and they could not guarantee me a resolution similar to the CRVs in the event my vehicle failed but NO recall ended up being initiated - I'd be in limbo I thought. With this decision, she reminded me I might have an unsafe vehicle. I said yes but how many other Elements are not being brought in for inspection - She told me she had 6 vehicles lined up as of Dec 12 (day before), me withdrawing would be 5 I guess.

It's interesting and concerning the 2006 failed. Did you get anything in writing from them at all regarding resolution with your 2006?? Thanks for chiming in with your story. We wait.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update...sorry for delay. To Brookside Sue above, yes in your area. I ended up deciding not to bring my vehicle in. I called the dealer day before Honda team in city and asked what guarantee they could give if it failed. All I was told was I would be given a rental until such time as a decision is made on next steps. Next step I think being advising TSB Canada they would need to issue recall on the vehicles. I decided against bringing vehicle in because there was no official TSBCanada recall active on that day (obviously as that's why they are doing inspections) and they could not guarantee me a resolution similar to the CRVs in the event my vehicle failed but NO recall ended up being initiated - I'd be in limbo I thought. With this decision, she reminded me I might have an unsafe vehicle. I said yes but how many other Elements are not being brought in for inspection - She told me she had 6 vehicles lined up as of Dec 12 (day before), me withdrawing would be 5 I guess.

It's interesting and concerning the 2006 failed. Did you get anything in writing from them at all regarding resolution with your 2006?? Thanks for chiming in with your story. We wait.
The 06 originated from PEI, which could be why there was an issue. The 04 originated from Ontario and was ok. More salt is used on the roads in winter in the Maritimes than in Ontario. It's been over a week now and we have not heard back from them, we still have the rental vehicle. I contacted Transport Canada and they do not have a recall notice. They suspect Honda Canada will try to do it quietly as there are not that many Elements left in eastern and atlantic Canada. My husband and I have a price in mind and if they don't offer that amount we will insist they fix it or contact the media/APA. We really want to get another one as the 04 is having transmission problems. I'll keep you posted on this thread. The only thing I'm thinking could happen in your case is that if you have an accident caused by the corrosion you may be out of luck as far as suing Honda or getting them to fix it, unless they end up putting out an official recall, since you refused their request/offer to inspect it. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 06 originated from PEI, which could be why there was an issue. The 04 originated from Ontario and was ok. More salt is used on the roads in winter in the Maritimes than in Ontario. It's been over a week now and we have not heard back from them, we still have the rental vehicle. I contacted Transport Canada and they do not have a recall notice. They suspect Honda Canada will try to do it quietly as there are not that many Elements left in eastern and atlantic Canada. My husband and I have a price in mind and if they don't offer that amount we will insist they fix it or contact the media/APA. We really want to get another one as the 04 is having transmission problems. I'll keep you posted on this thread. The only thing I'm thinking could happen in your case is that if you have an accident caused by the corrosion you may be out of luck as far as suing Honda or getting them to fix it, unless they end up putting out an official recall, since you refused their request/offer to inspect it. But I could be wrong.
[/QUOT
Thanks for update. The question is...what is the threshold for a CTSB recall? One vehicle only? 1 out of 10 failing? 4 out of 10 failing? And what sample size are they using? To rely on results that are not due to randomness, a certain sample size is needed, will they achieve this sampe size? Also, this is not happening in a vacuum, the CRV isssue just happened and I believe they have the same platform. The initial call I got was voice message (was not home) , part of the message was any repair needed we will offer 100 dollar rebate (was this for a possible major repair or incidental things they may have found while inspecting the frame?.-- don't know ---- and 100 dollars on a 6 or 7 thousand dollar repair is not much). Also, there was no "push" at all on me to persuade me to bring the vehicle down which I thought was interesting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brookside Sue, any news? Gag order from Honda? :). I talked to an Element owner in a grocery parking lot last week. He had a 2003. Was not contacted like you and I. Was quite surprised about all this. So they have clearly not captured all Element owners here on East coast, and at least one (your 2006) failed, in the wake of the CRV issue - we'll see how this goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Taking a peek under my 04, I was shocked how good it looked. Maybe some aftermarket undercoating, as there was black rubberized coating in some sections..and I am in the Midwest in case you were wondering

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am on the east coast in the U.S. , mine broke apart last fall and sits quietly in the yard still. I am going to ask Honda here if there is anything pending like this in the U.S. , I would know if there was a recall out as I am the second owner , the first being my girlfriend. Luckily it failed driving at 30 mph and not 60 , or on a highway...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am on the east coast in the U.S. , mine broke apart last fall and sits quietly in the yard still. I am going to ask Honda here if there is anything pending like this in the U.S. , I would know if there was a recall out as I am the second owner , the first being my girlfriend. Luckily it failed driving at 30 mph and not 60 , or on a highway...
How many miles are on your Honda and what year was it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts