Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I took the big restrictive resonator/airbox off and was looking it over. There's 2 holes that guide the air & noise into the big box and then send it on it's way to the air filter box. There's also a little hole across from the 2 holes that leads to a small elbow near the intake duct which I guess muffles the intake noise even more. So, I took a roll of black Gorilla tape (like duct tape) and tore off a piece around 6 inches long. I slid it inside the intake duct (after wiping the duct clean) and stuck it over the 2 holes and used smaller piece to cover the tiny elbow's hole. The tape really sticks well btw. I then put the resonator/airbox back on. Now the air coming in will bypass all 3 of the inside holes and go right to the air filter box. I started the E up and drove to the store. It sounded like it had more intake noise and general air wooshing when I stepped on the gas. Could this be a stealthy/poor man's SRI? Since I already had the tape, this was perhaps the cheapest mod I'll ever do - free. I'll scoot around a few miles and see how it goes. I'll probably just get tired of intake noise and take the tape off. Surely someone else has tried this...

·
Registered
168 Posts
You modified the air intake system to make it louder?
All the baffles inside to stop noise restricts air flow. On my last three hondas a simple intake added mpg and exhaust took it away, so if you do both you could break even. There is some power to had by doing this as well hondas K series loves bolt ons. Btw dan I like the site you made for you e you have done quite a bit.

·
Registered
168 Posts
This is very intriguing, Cg95660. Can you quantify your performance or economy gains?
Yes economy gains I can prove I never did any dyno testing (other than a butt dyno). On my previous car a 2003 civic si or ep3 I gained 2 mpg with my sri and I lost it when I added a magnalow catback.I then added 18's and that killed my mpg, but it looked nice so I was willing to trade off. I ran my mpg every tank just like my element.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You modified the air intake system to make it louder?
No. The noise is a result of not a goal of my minor mod. I took my resonator/airbox out and was on my way to Home Depot to buy a piece of ABS pipe and a connector to route into the fender opening - but then the tape idea hit me. So the holes got plugged and the box got put back in. I'm interested in cutting back some of the restriction in airflow to the engine and whatever benefits, if any, come out of that. A more efficient running engine would be great - but so far noise is all that's happened. I'll be monitoring my mileage. 'Butt dyno' testing will have to wait because, of course, the mileage will drop. So, if by some chance a mechanical miracle happens, I'll let everyone know - but I'm skeptical. It's guess it's worth a try and I'm only out $0,000.00 if nothing happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts