Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning all.

Well I finally did it. I sold my tricked out 2005 Wrangler and bought an 09 Omni Blue Pearl Element. I enjoy the features very much and it is much more family friendly.

But I do have a couple of questions before I go ask the dealer:

The AC System is odd, with the switch in off and 50 mph I have airflow from the vents. And If I adjust the temp with the system off the temp varies. Is this normal? It seems as if there is no "Off".

Thanks All

And I am glad I found the Forum!!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Not Element Specific but if you have the system switched off air will still flow into the vents and into the car UNLESS you keep the recirculate function engaged. Hope that helps, enjoy your new E!

Brian

·
Registered
23 Posts
Speaking from an oldster point of view. Almost every pre-air conditioned automobile works this way. Some newer cars do the same. My car has no airflow unless the fan is on. My wife's car has airflow without a fan turned on. Her car has a recirculation selection button. Mine does not.

MrBill5

·
Registered
428 Posts
Ok thank You all. One more question the Element is only a couple weeks old and the AC is not very cold, should I be concerned?
Do you also have AC problem driving at higher freeway speed, like 50+mph?
I have to turn my AC all the way down to lowest fan speed when I get my speed up at highway for couple minutes, & I rarely turn fan speed higher than lowest setting even with 90+ degree C temperature outside, but at city driving stop & go does take a while to cool down during hot weather.
CFM does have lighter tan color which also help.
I sometime open the back windows during city driving, it help cool down a little bit faster during stop & go traffic with AC.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ok thank You all. One more question the Element is only a couple weeks old and the AC is not very cold, should I be concerned?
American cars (like your Jeep) still tend to have much colder AC than any imports in my opinion. This may not be as true as it used to be in the 70s and 80s... but I still find it so.

I have had 2 elements, and neither blew terribly cold, but they were/are adequate.

Since yours is new, definitely take it to the dealer if you don't think it is right.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually just took it to the dealer and asked those same questions. He told me that it's normal to have wind coming through the vents even if it's in the "off" position. That's so that there is some circulation. I still find it strange because it's not like a gentle breeze, it's more like it's on the 1st or 2nd setting on the fan! But I guess there's nothing I can do about it...according to the service guy at Honda.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You'd rather breathe stale air? I believe this is adressed in the user manual also. The claim is it is dangerous to drive in a car for any period of time without the air being recirculated. I may have read about this when reading about the cabin air filters.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,945 Posts
Welcome.

Yes, there is no actual fan "Off", the interior fan will continue to operate with the fan switch in the minimum/off position, the temperature control always works by changing the hot water flow though the heater core - even when the A/C is in the cooling mode. If it isn't in the full "cold" (blue) position, if the A/C is left in the cooling mode, the heater core will dump waste heat from the engine coolant into the cabin and will continue to do so long after you shut the engine off.

FYI, as a new owner you will want to inspect the interior 'HEPA' cabin filter annually. If it gets clogged, which can happen very rapidly in a dusty area, it will dramatically change the amount of heating and cooling in the cabin.

I first checked my cabin filter following Hondas inspection schedule. It was totally obstructed by seeds, dust, small leaves and other junk. Apparently it had been clogged since before I bought it, because the fan, heating and cooling which I'd thought were marginal from day one suddenly were much more than adequate. I now have to run them on low, and I check the filter every fall.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow, maybe its the year you have, but my '06 has the best AC and heater of any car/truck I've ever owned. It heats fast, and AC is ice cold. maybe my location has something to do with it. I for one couldn't be more happy with the climate control system in my Element.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,945 Posts
If you have:
a. the temperature set at cold (red/blue center knob),
b. the mode switch at Max A/C (right knob),
c. the Recirc button pushed,
d. the fan set to mid-range

and it isn't cool enough for you, there's something wrong.

My Element acted like this for the couple years I had it, and it affected both A/C and heating. It seemed weak, but the A/C was adequate for Chicago summers. Though I'd complained to the dealer, the techs told me it was working normally.

As I was going over every maintenance item in the service manual, I found that the interior cabin filter behind the glove box was completely blocked by debris and had been since the day I got the car. When I replaced those filters, the difference was dramatic.

Since then it has never accumulated this kind of debris. Once I cool down the car, I have to use the A/C on its weakest settings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow. Thanks for all the responses. And not to take advantage of you alls good nature:).....

Does anyone have a very slight very quiet squeak coming from the rubber seals around the doors. This only happens on rougher ground and only noticeable with the radio off and it very quiet. But its very annoying.

Thanks all

·
Registered
49 Posts
Welcome to the EOC! I actually have the same issue which I termed "seal scrunch". I'll deal with it when I go to the dealer for my next oil change.
The link below is to the thread that deals with the fix.
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=789098#post789098
Stgeorge was kind enough to post his findings/fix. Check out the last post on the thread.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts