Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 03 and replaced the pads for the first time (I think, bought it used 3 years ago). For the fronts I got the Wagner QC536 ThermoQuiets, but after being installed I get high pitched noise when braking, especially at low speeds. It's worse when I make my first few stops after having not driven for a few hours. I feel like a bus braking, lol.

I'm probably going to take it back in next weekend. Could it be bad installation, bad parts, bad fit? Its been over a month I'd say. Any ideas?

Edit: Apparently I can't spell 'Brake' in the header...

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Did you replace or at least turn the rotors too? Sounds like you might have a warped or uneven rotor.

·
Registered
249 Posts
May not be the pads

Was the hardware and slides cleaned, lubed, or replaced during instalation? looking through the wheel; you should see grease where the pads meet the sivler hardware slides. As listed above, what was done to the rotors? Blaming brake pads for noise is like blaming the shingles after having a new roof put on and it leaks. There are so many other steps and items that need to be checked and or replaced during the job. Chances are it's not the shingles (or the pads) causing the leak.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Brake squeal is caused by vibration between the brake pads, rotors and calipers. Was the anti-squeal pad mounted behind your pads when the brake job was done? Or, at least, was the liquid, silicone stuff used? It will squeal like crazy without something back there.

Look at this site: http://www.autoeducation.com

·
Registered
249 Posts
Read the instructions!

Brake squeal is caused by vibration between the brake pads, rotors and calipers. Was the anti-squeal pad mounted behind your pads when the brake job was done? Or, at least, was the liquid, silicone stuff used? It will squeal like crazy without something back there.

Look at this site: http://www.autoeducation.com
Wagner TheroQuiet brake pads say in their instructions not to put anything on the back of the pads during instalation. The molded shim is ment to be installed dry. Also no shim is needed because it's built in tto these pads. Silicone brake lube can be used on new or cleaded slides.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Did you replace or at least turn the rotors too?
Ditto on this. If you put new pads on a rotor that has not at least been resurfaced, you're almost guaranteed a squeal. The rotors get "Glazed" and the new pads can't burnish into a slick surface.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ditto on this. If you put new pads on a rotor that has not at least been resurfaced, you're almost guaranteed a squeal. The rotors get "Glazed" and the new pads can't burnish into a slick surface.
Yeah, they did resurface them (or said they did). They did look 'newer' when I got the car back.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Was the hardware and slides cleaned, lubed, or replaced during instalation? looking through the wheel; you should see grease where the pads meet the sivler hardware slides. As listed above, what was done to the rotors? Blaming brake pads for noise is like blaming the shingles after having a new roof put on and it leaks. There are so many other steps and items that need to be checked and or replaced during the job. Chances are it's not the shingles (or the pads) causing the leak.
2X

Sucks to be at the mercy of a random mechanic.
Like gilboy posted, a lot more to a brake job than replacing friction parts.
Insist on a correct job and hopefully get a education from the experience.
Good luck.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wagner TheroQuiet brake pads say in their instructions not to put anything on the back of the pads during instalation. The molded shim is ment to be installed dry. Also no shim is needed because it's built in tto these pads. Silicone brake lube can be used on new or cleaded slides.
Ditto. I haven't turned any rotors in 20+ years. I use the OEM pad, change them, them drive around the block and hit the brakes hard several times. Been good so far.........Due lube contact and sliding points lightly.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I have an 03 and replaced the pads for the first time (I think, bought it used 3 years ago). For the fronts I got the Wagner QC536 ThermoQuiets, but after being installed I get high pitched noise when braking
I'm surprised that anyone could install the Wagner QC536 pads in the front - they're rear pads, and shaped completely different. :lol:

Seriously, the Thermoquiet brakes have a backing plate with an inner lining that damps out pad vibration like a separate greased shim does witgh the OEM pads, but any grease or oil contamination on the pad or rotor faces can cause rotor squealing- as can a worn out inner brake pad or rust caught and embedded in the pad face. Marginal wheel bearings can sometimes cause squealing during braking once the rotor heats up.

A couple weeks and 300 miles ago I installed the Wagner QC914 Thermoquiet ceramic front pads exactly as directed. I removed the rust from the inner and outer edges of the rotor faces, replaced the guides and springs, relubed the caliper pins and guides.

No noise at all from the front axle. When it cools off next week I'll be putting QC536 pads on the rear.

I'd pull the pads from one side and look at their faces to see if they're still flat from inner to outer edge. It's only 20 minutes work if you have a good jack, a 17mm box wrench and a torque wrench with a 19mm socket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, my mistake on saying fronts. That is good news, because its the fronts that are the problem. Its at the shop today and they will likely warranty the fronts they put on (not wagners) and replace them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts