Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friends was told my the local Honda Dealer that his Element needed front brakes.

The dealer quoted him $269 for new pads and also covers cutting the roters.

Is this a decent price ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brakes

Assuming your friend can't do the job himself, it's not a terrible price. But since it doesn't have to be done by a Honda dealer, even if the car is still under warranty, it might pay to shop around.
I had thought the price was resonable but it is difficult to get accurate estimates because who know what kinds of pads thay are going to use.

Thanks much!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Don't know if the price is good. They can be done easily by yourself. I posted cause I don't think anyone cuts rotors anymore. If they look good and you have no problems, leave the originals on. Otherwise just replace them....

Its not really that hard to do.....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brakes

Don't know if the price is good. They can be done easily by yourself. I posted cause I don't think anyone cuts rotors anymore. If they look good and you have no problems, leave the originals on. Otherwise just replace them....

Its not really that hard to do.....
I guess I would feel more secure if someone were with me for the first time.
I have been told it is very easy and you have full control over getting the best parts.

I would guess one would save about $100 for the labor ?

Thanks for the advice !

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GaryS

In lieu of hand holding, here is a write up on changing the front pads complete with pictures.
Thanks for the "hand holding" illustration, it does show the entire process.

My first fear is always frozen bolts or fasteners that break. Beyond that, it was how to decide if the rotors need to be cut, however, if one does the work himslf, I guess the answer to to always install new roters ?

Thanks again - Rich

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
If the rotors are well worn (which is likely), replace 'em. They're not very expensive. Getting them off can be a bitch on an older car, but on an '09, probably not.

First, make sure the dealer wasn't blowing smoke before you replace good pads.

And brakes, though basically simple, really aren't a good choice for a beginner with minimal tools and knowhow. A competent mechanic can do this job easy-peasy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You will know a rotor is done when it causes shaking during braking. This is because they no longer have enough mass to keep heat under control. Therefore they overheat and either warp or get an uneven coat of pad material. In either case you will get noticeable vibration under braking. Cutting a rotor like this will only buy you a little time before it happens again. It's best to just replace the rotor.

If you don't have any shaking, then simply replace the pads and clean/lube the caliper slide pins. When reusing old rotors, simply perform a good bed-in procedure to reshape the pads to the rotors and you will be set. Personally I recommend OEM Honda/Nissin pads cause they've lasted me over 80k miles so far on our 03... :cool:

If and when the rotors do start to go bad (shaking), it's okay. Simply replace them with new ones, and retain your newer pads (provided the pads are still thick). Perform another proper bedding procedure, and your good to go.

BTW: Don't forget to replace your brake fluid every 3 years... ;)

OEM pads can be purchased online for a discount at places like HondaPartsNow.com, HondaPartsDeals.com, HondaAutomotiveParts.com, and a few others for about $43. The kit (#9) should include pads, pad-springs, pad-shims and grease. Don't forget to replace the caliper hardware as well (#22 & 23):

·
Registered
590 Posts
unless it's a 200k mile new england car, nothing is going to fight you too bad. it should be sub $300 with new pads and rotors. cutting rotors is outdated on modern vehicles. they're too thin to begin with, let alone after the wear of one set of pads. they'll be shaped like a potato chip half way through the second set of pads and you won't get your monies worth out of those pads b/c you're not going to replace rotors with half way worn pads and pay labor yet ago, so it's money down the drain.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I also have to do my front brake pads. I bought some tonight and the diy and video on youtube is helpful but what I dont know is when I'm done do I only have to bleed the front two brakes or all four? Also in what order?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
do I only have to bleed the front two brakes or all four? Also in what order?
All 4 is best, especially if the other 2 haven't been done in the past 2 years. Besides, doing the other 2 while you're at it (jacked up, tools, friends help, etc) isn't that much harder. If the fluid is more than 3 (or even 2) years old be sure to replace all of it.

The brakes are linked front to opposide side rear....so do something like LR & RF and then RR & LF.

good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The brakes are linked front to opposide side rear....so do something like LR & RF and then RR & LF.
That is incorrect. With the late-model Honda ABS & VSA system, you do not follow the old-world methods. The correct order is clockwise starting from the Left-Front:

- LF
- RF
- RR
- LR

·
Registered
428 Posts
08-09 Accord front brake disk?

Just looking at part manual from Honda Parts Now. It called out 08-09 Accord front brake disk as replacement.

Are they the same? If not, will Accord one fit & is it better?

E Brake 2.jpg

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lots of Honda parts are used across a variety of vehicles, so I'm not surprised. HondaPartsNow.com is good about posting the parts updates, so go w/ their recommended replacement part...

·
12,179 Posts
Lots of Honda parts are used across a variety of vehicles, so I'm not surprised. HondaPartsNow.com is good about posting the parts updates, so go w/ their recommended replacement part...

Here in Canada and the US should be the same the old 45251-S87-A00 rotors aren't even shipped anymore. They have been replaced with the 45251-TA5-A00.

·
Registered
510 Posts
thats way too much money for only the pads.i can buy the good quality brand new front rotors and pads for less than that. and it will only take me an hour or so to install them or maybe less than $100 for labor to have them installed by my friend whose a tech

·
Registered
224 Posts
If the rotors are well worn (which is likely), replace 'em. They're not very expensive. Getting them off can be a bitch on an older car, but on an '09, probably not.

First, make sure the dealer wasn't blowing smoke before you replace good pads.

And brakes, though basically simple, really aren't a good choice for a beginner with minimal tools and knowhow. A competent mechanic can do this job easy-peasy.
rambledan,

Somehow I think your advice is the best. I do enough other contracting things that I am confident with so I think I am better off not doing my own brakes. The dealer always gives an estimate so I could verify and compare at another shop to ensure I am not being ripped off.

Thanks much for the solid advice!

·
Registered
234 Posts
How often do you have to replace the rotors? I was going to do the rotors as well just because but the guy at autozone who I bought the duralast gold cmax pads from told me that unless you were rubbing metal on metal the front rotors should last another set of pads. My rotors are rusty but I'm going to clean them up and install the brake pads tonight. I wish I had a micrometer. Plus I'll save money this time around if I dont change the rotors, what do you guys think?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts