Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
I think the only practical way of doing this in front is to start with a tow bar mount. This is a bracket that replaces the steel bumper piece, that allows you to tow an Element behind an RV. It should take the pull, but I doubt if it would be a good option for supporting the weight of a winch.

Another option would be a winch that mounts on a 2" rear hitch receiver.

Way back, in the Off the Beaten path section I explored the options of regarding 'recovery equipment'. I collected some stuff, but never tested it - with the exception of traction mats.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Winch ?

Anyones seen an E with mounted winch? or a bull bar with a winch?
Not exactly the suited vehicle to be pulling things with, unless maybe pulling weeds ?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
From the installation pictures and directions I've seen of the bull bars I would guess that the first time you used the winch it would rip that bull bar right off.

As paulj said:
Another option would be a winch that mounts on a 2" rear hitch receiver.
That would be the best option in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
A front mounted winch is mostly used for pulling the vehicle itself - when stuck. If there is enough of a size difference, it could also be used to pull another vehicle out of the mud.

In any case, with the Element, the real issue is, how to best prepare for situations when you get in 'over your head', so-to-speak. First line of defense is to learn how the AWD works, and to practice activating it in controlled situations. For example, put the front wheels in a mud hole or snow bank, and try to backup using rear wheel traction.

Chains are another low cost option.

A come-along might work, but offers only 6' of pull per setting. If you can afford an electric winch,you can afford a Tirfor type of hand winch.
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/general_equipment/black_rat_winch.htm

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah this is all true. I am just thinking the Best Off Road Element situation. But I've been part of this forum long enough to know, the E isn't really an off-roader. A man can dream.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I had thought that an RV tow bar on the front of the E would be the only strong place to attach a winch. You would have to fabricate something on that to really mount it well to the frame/body of the E. The hitch mount winches are probably the cheapest if you want a powered way of pulling the E out of a jam.

I think a bull bar with a winch would look pretty nice on the E though.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
A front mounted winch is mostly used for pulling the vehicle itself - when stuck. If there is enough of a size difference, it could also be used to pull another vehicle out of the mud.
A winch attached to the rear hitch would accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Warning! Thread hijack in progress!

There≠they're≠their Get it right!
What about the east Texas "Thar"? Like, "Thar in thar truck raighch thar."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts