Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to temporarily remove the front door window lower weatherstrip. It's held on by 4 clips. Anybody know if these are going to be some of those clips that break completely when removed? If so, I will order ahead of time. I'd like to do the project all at once.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm still operating on the cheap/jobless setting. I was trying to avoid spending any $ I may not need to. I can't even find them in the Honda or Majestic store to get an estimated price.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i dont think that they are available seperatly. they are usually part of that strip. i have had to mess with plenty of them in older civics and they were part of the strip. they are designed to be reused if it is the same in the e but they wear out and sometimes break if removed frequently. worst case you have to replace that whole strip, that is what you had to do in the civics

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont think that they are available seperatly. they are usually part of that strip
Yoda,

I couldn't even find a part no./price for the whole "outer" weatherstrip. I only found the "inner" one.

Any experience with the upper piece that runs from the side view mirror, up, over, and back down to the weatherstrip? I assumed (ha ha), that one would be easier since no clips, but now I am wondering... I was also assuming it was NOT the run channel, but a trim piece. I have a feeling I am wrong, and there is no easy way to temp remove it.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
what is it you are trying to do here. you never said, just asking about the clips on that piece of trim. the other one that runs all the way around is one piece down into the window track on both sides. hondas instruction on removing the outer piece is just to take the mirror off and start prying up at the back side for the piece you are talking about. i cant find it in service express either. if you break it they have to have a replacment available but its nice to know how much it costs first.

2007 ELEMENT - Front Door Glass Outer Weatherstrip Replacement
Special Tools Required
KTC trim tool set SOJATP2014*
*Available through the Honda Tool and Equipment Program; call 888-424-6857

NOTE:

Put on gloves to protect your hands.

Take care not to scratch the door.

Use the appropriate tool from the KTC trim tool set to avoid damage when removing components.

Remove the power/manual mirror.

Starting at the rear, pry the door glass outer weatherstrip (A) up to detach the clips, and release the weatherstrip from the glass run channel (B), then remove the weatherstrip.

Install the weatherstrip in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:

If the clips are damaged or stress-whitened, replace them with new ones.

Push the clips into place securely.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what is it you are trying to do here.

Special Tools Required

NOTE:

Put on gloves to protect your hands.

Take care not to scratch the door.

Use the appropriate tool from the KTC trim tool set to avoid damage when removing components.

Remove the power/manual mirror.

Starting at the rear, pry the door glass outer weatherstrip (A) up to detach the clips, and release the weatherstrip from the glass run channel (B), then remove the weatherstrip.

Install the weatherstrip in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:

If the clips are damaged or stress-whitened, replace them with new ones.

Push the clips into place securely.
Yoda,

Fantastic, thanks for the new info.

What I am trying to do... Again, keeping with my cheapass/jobless status: I am applying black vinyl (auto decal material) to the top half of the doors. I don't have the time/$ to paint them outright, so this is a nice alternative. I have already done the back doors, and it looks very nice (once you learn how to apply it correctly). It's too hard to cut the material to match beforehand, and I am NOT going to cut it after it's applied, so I want to tuck the edges just under the edge of all this trim. On the back doors it just wraps under the windows.

So you got that info from a 2007 Factory Manual? I have the 2003 FM, and it doesn't mention the "Special Tool". Does the 2007 FM diagram anything for the upper weatherstrip removal? Mine only says "B" and points at it with an arrow. Haha

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
So you got that info from a 2007 Factory Manual? I have the 2003 FM, and it doesn't mention the "Special Tool". Does the 2007 FM diagram anything for the upper weatherstrip removal? Mine only says "B" and points at it with an arrow. Haha
the upper weatherstrip just pulls right out, all rubber no "clips."

tug on it and you'll see

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Special Tools Required
On a completely unrelated HEOC thread, I spotted this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=67021

I just drove right PAST a HFT a few hours ago!!!

Very similar to the Honda one:

http://thetoolnetwork.com/panel_popper_kit_by_ktc_tool_company.html

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the upper weatherstrip just pulls right out, all rubber no "clips."

tug on it and you'll see
Wow, I never updated this thread. I started taking off all the rubber trim from the top edge and 'back' (towards back of car) edge, and discovered it's a no-go. The rubber trim on the 'back' edge runs down INTO the car door. I thought it would only run around the window.

Long story short, I ended up tucking the vinyl under the trim IN PLACE. No need to remove the rubber trim. (pictures later)

I would consider the overall mod a failure. It looks PERFECT from 10'+ away, but looks horrible any closer. Bubbles under the vinyl, rips in corners, around curves, etc.. I'm glad I tried, but I would recommend people just pay someone to paint instead.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
What was the original result...? I'm trying to imagine what you're trying to accomplish and wondered what you did... Hope you're planning on still posting those pics...!

LBD

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What was the original result...? I'm trying to imagine what you're trying to accomplish and wondered what you did... Hope you're planning on still posting those pics...!

LBD
Sorry for the late response.
-Original intent was to fake a black paint job on the upper half of all side doors, and that little triangle area in front of the side view mirrors. Basically I didn't have the time and money to get it painted.
-Final product has mixed results. From 10+ feet away, it looks great, and I even get compliments. From 0-10 feet away you can see all the bubbling, crinkles, rips, pull aways, etc.

Since I wanted this PERFECT, I'm probably going to peel it off later. It was just so time consuming to do, I will leave it for now. I actually removed the back door windows to apply the vinyl. Also it's a two-person job since each door is a single giant adhesive backed sheet. Bubbling wasn't as much of an issue as geometry, when trying to fold into the recessed areas. I thought about thicker vinyl to eliminate bubbling, but that would make all the edges more difficult. The only places the edges worked perfectly, were where we stretched it.

The vinyl was called "Calon" made by a company called "Arlon". I bought the lengths 36"(?) wide roll from 'Sign Express' in Pasadena, CA area (on Rosemead Blvd.). I think it was about $45 for all of it. I called Arlon to get more at one point (I was located close by) and customer service was HORRIBLE. I asked them about the product line and they ignored me. I prodded them, and they responded like I was an annoyance. I tried to get them to at least tell me which kind I had, so I could buy more of the same, and they ignored me. I prodded them again, and they actually told me they could not identify their own product. I asked them if I could bring it by, show them the sample (with info on the backing), and they ignored me again. This was one of the worst customer service incidents I have ever had. I never told them it was a small personal project. As far as they know I was looking for a massive amount.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Okay......

NOW, I get it buddy...! Well thanks for the pics and I wish you better luck next time... It IS a great concept and the styling is simple enough to make you take a 2nd look... It did me...! Post the results of "round #2" when you're able to get it done... Always appreciate the effort and creativity of my fellow EOCers and look forward to one day admiring your work in person... What part of CA are you in...?

FWIW... Locksmith has a thread about removing the entire door panel (pics too, awesome write up!) so if you plan on getting "deeper" in the door, you may want to look at it... HERE...!

LBD

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NOW, I get it buddy...! Well thanks for the pics and I wish you better luck next time... It IS a great concept and the styling is simple enough to make you take a 2nd look... It did me...! Post the results of "round #2" when you're able to get it done...
LBD
MrBillW(?) had done some Calon, and actually gave me the idea for this. As far as "round #2" that WAS round 2. I did the back 2 doors sloppy mid-last year. The first was bad, the 2nd was almost perfect (I don't know how). LAte last year I redid the bad door, and did the two front doors. That's when I discovered that it wasn't about getting better with practice, but getting lucky on the application. Like I said, it actually turned out to be too laborious. Hands down I would rather pay $XXX to get it professionally painted instead. Less than a week. Professional Result. No peeling (the bad door peeled). You don't need a helper, etc..

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
MrBillW(?) had done some Calon, and actually gave me the idea for this. As far as "round #2" that WAS round 2. I did the back 2 doors sloppy mid-last year. The first was bad, the 2nd was almost perfect (I don't know how). LAte last year I redid the bad door, and did the two front doors. That's when I discovered that it wasn't about getting better with practice, but getting lucky on the application. Like I said, it actually turned out to be too laborious. Hands down I would rather pay $XXX to get it professionally painted instead. Less than a week. Professional Result. No peeling (the bad door peeled). You don't need a helper, etc..
Good advice...! Thanks for the effort buddy...! Still in CA...?

LBD

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good advice...! Thanks for the effort buddy...! Still in CA...?

LBD
Just to make it clear, the advice was NOT to do this mod my way, and think twice before doing vinyl ANY way. I know professionals can do vinyl better, but then you are probably paying more $$$ too. I still say paint.

Also, the original question of this thread, regarding the weatherstrip and clips... I accidentally found them last night. I was on Majestic, and the parts diagram for the SC roof trim included the strips, and clips. Very odd.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts