Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day to our E-Family. So we are battling a "Tinking" thin metal noise that is growing worse as we throw more parts at it. It started 250 miles after replacing the struts and only in the Front Drivers side. The list of parts that have been replaced to date are: Strut, Ball Joint, Tie Rod, Sway Bar Link, and Upper Strut Mounting Plate. The Lower Control Arm Bushings and the appropriate hardware were just replaced as recommended by the Honda Service Bulletin, the noise is still there. The noise persists between starting and 35mph, over this speed the noise is not noticable. There are no feelings through the steering wheel. The Tinking noise happens when the wheel falls from its contact with the road and now when the wheel initially hits a really good speed bump. Under normal driving the noise is absent, it is only the potholes and speed bump style obstacles that create the noise. It does not happen while turning, again it is the falling out and hard hits that create the noise. Any thoughts? Supposedly the shop is going to use a Suspension Harmonic Tuning microphone to diagnose the failure, not sure what this is or if it will work. Thank you for your time and Your help is greatly appreciated. The Hulls

·
Registered
44 Posts
Inspect that the flanged lock nut at top of front strut rod has been replaced with new. I've experienced and witnessed reuse of this nut, which results in it loosening because the nylon is no longer effective. This can result in the symptoms you indicate. You will be able to view this nut from engine bay, it is the one in middle of upper shock mount.

Random FYI...

Also, for shock setups with the thick unique stop washer that sits at top of shock rod, if those are missing and/or the upper shock mount bushings are inverted it will cause similar symptoms as well. This occurred with one my father's 93 Accord after he had new Monroe shocks installed by Sears. I knew that car well, as I had done all prior suspension restoration repairs. I disassembled the shock assembly to find they were completely missing these unique stop washers and had inverted bushings in shock mount (although they were new). Amazing.

Proper bushings setup: ( )

Inverted/improper setup: ) (

·
Registered
7 Posts
Front Right Passenger tinking/rattling sound

I have had the same problem for 2 months now. I can't figure out what it is, all tie rod ends, bushings, nuts, etc. appear to be tight and or functioning properly.

Did the above solution solve the problem of your tinking sound?? If so, I think I need to take a look at the top end of my struts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts