Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

In the morning when I start backing up as soon as I start to turn the wheel I hear one loud clank/click noise. If I try to immediately do the same thing the sound does not happen. However, this happens every morning. I have noticed this for several months now. Is this a bad bushing somewhere? The struts seem to be fine. Any thoughts? What should I look for?? :confused:

·
12,179 Posts
So it should be nothing to worry about then?

You may want to get that looked at. At no time should your vehicle make clanking or clicking noises when reversing under normal conditions.

To be quite honest i have never heard of "ABS setting the brakes".

You most likely have a mechanical issue that needs attention.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would go with the all wheel drive, untill I changed my diff fluid mine did something similar, I do believe the AWD kicks in when ever you start to back up.
The ABS(if equipped) should not kick in, at that low of speed on dry conditions, if it even works at all in reverse. I have never heard of standard ABS setting brakes thats only on the newest and most advanced vsa systems avaliable for the last year of so. Even then thats at speed in forward, and its not truly the ABS kicking in.

chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would go with the all wheel drive, untill I changed my diff fluid mine did something similar, I do believe the AWD kicks in when ever you start to back up.
The ABS(if equipped) should not kick in, at that low of speed on dry conditions, if it even works at all in reverse. I have never heard of standard ABS setting brakes thats only on the newest and most advanced vsa systems avaliable for the last year of so. Even then thats at speed in forward, and its not truly the ABS kicking in.

chris
Chris,

I just looked back at my maintenance records and I last changed the rear diff fluid just over a year ago and I have put 15K miles on it since then. I'll try changing the diff fluid and hopefully it will solve the problem. Are you changing yours more often that once a year?

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,829 Posts
The ABS noise while backing would more likely come from the rear, and it is a distinct clunk.

If the noise is from the front, I'd look at the front brake pads and calipers; one may be binding.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Chris,

I just looked back at my maintenance records and I last changed the rear diff fluid just over a year ago and I have put 15K miles on it since then. I'll try changing the diff fluid and hopefully it will solve the problem. Are you changing yours more often that once a year?
I am going to be doing mine on or around 20K, its easy and cheap to do. That seems to be the standard that allot have adopted.

Some other things it could be is the stabilizer bushing on the frame, I did have some issues with those on mine also(I noticed them while changing the dif fluid). The previous owner wrapped them with electrical tape. I would only get a clunk with those over larger bumps, but not so much in reverse, but I am sure its possible given the right combination. Also on a different E which I happen to work on this weekend I found bad links in the rear which was giving a distinct clunk on left hand turns and over bumps.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts