Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a NYC driver and recently started to notice some front end issues...
I have started to get a bounce in the frontend at moderate speeds (30-40mph), if applying the brake (esp in a turn) my E starts to bounce bad enough to give me the willies. And if I hit a bump/pothole just right the drivers side gets a big THUD from what I believe is the strut tower.

Tires are a year old and have good life left in them, Tire Pressure is 32f/34r, millage 55k. I have tested the springs by bouncing on the E and it quickly returns to normal. Before I bring it into the shop I want to have a good idea of what might be the problem. On that note, any recommended shops in/around Flushing Queens?
Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
clarification

The bounce is only on bumpy sections of road (i.e GCP around CIP), on smooth roads she rides fine until I hit a pothole.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Its hard to say but you may have a strut failing or swaybar bushing going bad. Best to take it to a alignment shop and have it looked at.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check your compliance bushings

Check your compliance bushings. It's a common problem on Elements. They are located on the front control arms. The control arm start from the ball joint behind the front wheels. The arm has two bushings. One in the back and a round saucer looking one in the front. The front one is the compliance bushing. Check the right and left sides. The arm should be sitting in the middle not sagging against the chassis. I have the same problem. I had to point it out toy mechanic. I still have yet to get it fixed though.It's safe to drive around until you can fix it if you can deal with noise but waiting to long might cause the bushing at the back of the arm to fail also.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The bounce is only on bumpy sections of road (i.e GCP around CIP), on smooth roads she rides fine until I hit a pothole.
hey,pbloes,,i feel your pain,,iam also in the 5 boros.,nyc highways stink,,the bqe is the worst..i refuse to get on the bqe anymore,,my front end is taking a beating,,good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just replaced my compliance bushings the other day. It wasn't too hard because I had access to a hydraulic press. They were creaking and popping like crazy and now the noise is mostly gone. My ball joints are next on the list but I think I'll pay someone to do that. I figure they are the source of the remaining noise since the struts and strut bearings are new. I might just bring the knuckle in to a shop and have someone else deal with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
getting worse

Thanks for the help everyone.
I have been out of the loop cause I went head on into a pole after a taxi cut me off on Metropolitan Ave about 3 weeks ago. Everyone is safe, airbags did not go off and luckily it was mainly just bumper/radiator damage.

Anyway got her back from Castle Collision who did a great job for the most part but now she idles rough, to the point of vibrating the steering wheel. I plan on bring her back to them then just getting the entire front end serviced by a GOOD Mechanic.

It has gotten worse, (i dont think it was from the accident, nore like after driving a normal car it is much more noticeable) and it is not so much a popping noise but a hard bump when I hit a ...bump. and when going around a turn and I go over a bump it feels like the front end vibrates/bounces/loses traction. Base on what you all said I think it the bushings.

Anyway, I am going to bring her into a mechanic, any recommendations in northern Queens/Brooklyn? Maybe one that specializes in Front End/Suspensions? I was looking at Car Talk for recommendations but I figured maybe someone on the tread could help.

Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts