Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know this is a pretty common topic. But there are so many potential causes, my hope is that with a good description someone can help narrow my problem down a bit.

2003 Element, AWD and auto trans, 134K miles, a recent purchase so I don't know its history. I just had the rear struts replaced, the rear sway bar fixed, the exhaust repaired by welding in 3 places, and a tie rod fixed at a shop. There's still a loud noise/vibration in the front, sort of like the noise an exhaust leak would make. The shop couldn't figure it out. It only happens during acceleration, from zero to whatever. It goes away when cruising or decelerating. It's louder when turning right, and almost absent when turning left. CV boots look good on visual inspection. Shop said the motor mounts appeared OK. Any thoughts, or ideas on what I can try on my own to narrow it down? Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow up -fixed

Sorry for the delay. Turned out to be a combo of things - bad AT fluid, bad rear dif fluid, bad front motor mount, bad passenger side motor mount. Did a 3-time drain and fill on the fluids, which helped immensely, especially the rear dif. Front mount further improved it. Side mount was the icing on the cake! I did these myself and think I saved about $2k in dealer estimates.

Also, I had a clunky shift from 2d to 1st gear and was planning on a new TPS and throttle body. Noticed that the TPS connector was loose at the throttle body, reseated it, and the symptoms are 80% better and tolerable. Whew!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts