Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Element Owners of the intraweb.

Swapping out my Front Engine Mount yesterday and was surprised to find the bolt that secures the mount to the frame sits loosely in the sleeve of the mount. Looked around online and found pictures of other people doing the job where it looked to have the same loose fit.

Can anyone shine some light on whether this is a case of it being original fit (for some reason that totally baffles me) or a case of a poorly fitting aftermarket part (potentially a CRV part that fits but has a different bolt diameter)??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I recall it being loose when I put mine back together...
I think I looked at it and said “Meh” outloud... and went about my work...

Just make sure that dangly bit on your nut finds its way into the slot to lock it in...
(my inner 10 year old is turning red trying to hold in his laughter)

I actually had to buy another nut, I recall Honda being VERY proud of their nut as it was pricey...

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is exactly my question... why the super-loose fit of the bolt in the sleeve? Seems super weird. Not like rest of engineered Honda stuff.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I would agree that this makes me cringe a little... But our collective experiences are at least similar...

I bought another nut (in my reply above) because the bit that made it "captured" (that "tag" shown in fmount1.jpg ) was no longer structurally sound, in my opinion...
I felt the "captured" part was an important element (pun intended) of the overall assembly...

Once assembled, with the nut "locked" via captured "tag" in the sheetmetal slot and pressure from the screw from the appropriate torque...
I don't think you should see movement... Screw, nut and sleeve would act as one unit...
More opinion inbound: this can be seen in the fmount2.jpg image as an asymmetrical rust spot with clear edges...

Welcome to the EOC Pete M!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Still do not know if the OEM fit is like this. I am still trying to track down some awful little grunting/squeaking sounds from the front end area after replacing nearly EVERYTHING...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts