Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, possible moron question from new owner.. got my new plates today and after looking at the front plate holder for the first time and putting it on (correctly I think) that it seems pretty flimsy as far as keeping it on.

I mean, it clips onto the top lip of the front bumper from the back, but it just seems like it can easily come off by any direct jarring force if you don't screw it into the bumper. Dunno if it can vibrate off.

Anyone else with any ideas? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine was already installed when I bought it. It was the first thing I took off, and I'm sorry to say they put two screws directly into the bumper !! I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the two small screw holes in the bumper :cry:

·
Registered
914 Posts
The dealer installed my plates, and after figuring out how it was supposed to be, screwed it into the bumper. I'm not to worried about it though because the bumper is plastic, we don't have to worry about rust, just maybe cracks in the bumper. Plus the dealer did it, so maybe i have something to argue with them about if something does occur later.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really dislike front license plates. I took mine off as soon as I brought me Element home. Unfortunately, the dealer or whoever did put 2 screw holes in the plastic bumper. I painted the screws silver-gray to match the bumper and then put them back in with the plate holder. It looks like 2 rivets now...I can live with it.

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
280 Posts
I didn't realize we had a choice on whether to use front license plates or not in CA. Can't you be ticketed?

·
Registered
42 Posts
There was a topic a while back on the board. It gave me the idea to demand that the dealer ziptie the holder to the lower grill. I live in MA and they require it here too, but the inspector didn't have a problem with it and I passed. Didn't matter, cause 2 days later some ass backed into me and gouged the bumper. :evil:

·
Registered
20 Posts
It is a law in California that vehicles must have a front license plate. So yes, I have been ticketed many times for this. I have had a "fix-it" ticket for no front plate around 9 or 10 times in 20 years. Most police officers don't enforce this law. I have several friends that are in law enforcement who don't enforce this. To be quite honest, 8 of the 10 times I was sited for this, it was when I had a lowered vehicle that drew a little attention. I had one cop tell me that he couldn't get my speed on radar, unfortunately for him he couldn't ticket me for speeding but did get me for no front plate...and told me to slow down. My wife drives a mini-van and has never been sited for it. I really think it depends on the cop.

Depending where you live, a fix-it ticket may not have any fee involved. In Orange County, it's a $25.00 administrative fee and the repair has to be signed off by a cop. It's like having front tinted windows....it's illegal, but few enforce it. If you can spare the $25 for a cleaner look, do it. For some, it's not that big of a deal to leave it on. It's up to you.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Psst, before one of the lawyerly types ribs you for it, it's "cited" not "sited".

Iskie

·
Registered
20 Posts
I knew the correct spelling but sometimes hit the wrong keys at my poor attempts of typing....but thanks anyway. Good to know someone's got my back from the attorneys.

·
EOC Staff
659 Posts
iskie it is nice to protect him from the lawyer types but how can you mean to hit the C and hit the S key? This may be circumstantial evidence but still important IMHO. LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.