Honda Element Owners Club banner

Front seat cover / upholstery : Honda and aftermarket, plus side-airbag compatibility

244K views 216 replies 131 participants last post by  Danegeld 
#1 ·
Hi all,

With the durability of the seats, has anyone gotten the optional seat covers, and if you did, why?

My wife and I are thinking about them, but we don't know if they are worth it.

#2 ·
Honda seat covers just came in today, and I finished getting the 1st on. It is not that hard to do, and take a few mins. The only problem I had was standing out in the cold (20 deg wind chill today here in NY). I got the second one on, but not attached yet. I will do that when I warm up a bit.

They look good, and seem like they will hold up real well.

#3 ·
There hasn't been much attention paid to them, but I gotta say, I love the neoprene Element seat covers. They get as many comments as any of the other features of the car, and while right now they're just for looks, I'm sure they'll come in handy once beach weather rolls around.

#6 ·
Looking for some insight. I apologize if this has been covered before.

We are awaiting our new Element. We've been wondering about the seat covers. I am very warm blooded and my wife is the opposite (big surprise there?). Does any one in a warmer climate have the neoprene seat covers? I'm concerned that the seat covers will be too warm for me. What has been your experience?

Thanks for any input.

#7 ·
I ordered them from H and A.....got them, installed them, took them off and returned them!

They were the first acc. that I ordered....even before I bought my E I wanted the cool seat covers.....but my personal opinion is that they look horrible with the blue/gray interior of the EBP....the colors just don't blend well enough for my liking.

Just my two cents

#9 ·
Got 'em, put 'em on in the parking lot, love 'em. I live in South Texas where it gets as hot 113 F., (not yet this year) and can't imagine a seat cover could possibly make it any hotter. Also, I've gotten crap on my seat covers that I would have screamed bloody murder if it had gotten on my seats! Personally, with my E being silver, I think they look great. The contrast with the blue interior is no different than the rest of the gray with the blue. A matter of perosnal preference I guess.

#10 ·
Here are some:

Wet Okole is probably the best. Had these on my truck for almost 8 years before they started getting wrecked. Its made of neoprene so you can get it wet, and its easier to clean. Pricey but worth it

Another site I found has these. They aren't neoprene, but may liven up your life a little.

The Wal Marts here have the same type of seat covers also.

At Surf Dogz they also have the seat covers.

Search on Yahoo with "Aloha Print Seat Covers" and many sites come up.

#11 ·
I may be wrong, but I thought that you were not supposed to use seat covers if you have side air bags. I know that the OEM seat covers are specifically not to be used in E's with side air bags.

#12 ·
I see the Honda seat covers say they should not be used on cars with side airbags. This is because the airbag comes out of the seat and there are sensors on the seat.

Is there any solution to this conflict or are seat covers out of the question for side airbag equipted Elements?

#13 ·
Beaded seat cover bottoms, YEAH, they work. I had the Element neoprene covers and I always got sweaty and sticky. I put the beaded bottoms on and do not get sticky and sweaty, they circulate air and do not look bad at all, IMHO. :mrgreen: So there! 8)

#14 ·
The problem with seat covers is that you cover your seat bungees. The Honda seat covers avoid this. You can order them from HandA. Seat covers will block side air bags also. I found some in Walmart that just cover the tops of the seats. Type S brand. Padded and in red or blue.

#15 ·
Resurrected post for your convenience. I was able to clean them back to where the marks were unnoticeable, but it took quite a while.

I bought brand new Honda seat covers. I only had them on a few weeks. Below is a picture of what I found underneath when I removed them :( I thought I was protecting the seats!

The stitching in the seat covers has some kind of grease in them, which transfers to the seat material when you sit on them.

P.S., I never sat in the seats wet or sweaty. The (online) dealership that sold them to me took them back without question when they saw the pictures.

#16 ·
I plan to use my Element hard and dirty for 10 years(mtn biker etc) and then maybe sell it, looking almost pristine, like my 10 year old 4WD pickup I just sold, looking mostly new, as have the few cars I have owned in my life. So I put seat covers on the front heavy wear seats. ( I do NOT have side air bags. Do NOT cover side air bag models!)

For my new non-side air-bag Element I bought "X-Bound" heavy cordura nylon seat covers for the front seat. They are tough and have a zillion pockets to more than make up for the silly bungie pockets they cover on the seats. Their fit is a bit marginal, but for $60 for the pair, available at most discount stores and auto parts stores, they meet my "keep it simple" needs. They look real "outdoorsy" too.

They should hold up well for dogs or mtn bikers and can be removed for those nice nights on the town, in a pinch.

And they go really well with the $9 rubber "color matched" floor mats to avoid heel holes under the brake/gas pedals. :D

Of course I also use an old cheapo seat cover for the BACK of the folded up rear seats for when I lean and cinch the bike up against it. And use a nice $9 petroglyph design carpet runner for under the bike. Nothing but the best. :?

Keeping it clean....

#17 ·
Don't try any seat covers with side air bags, especially these. But since side air bags were not even available in my area when I bought the car.(would have bought them if I could), this allows me to buy these nice utilitarian covers for only $60 a pair AND they are covered with storage pockets to make up for lack of "covered/restrained" storage in the car.

fit is pretty snug, but they are a tough thick cordura nylon and are really working out well.

#18 ·
Okay - got a question. I have the Element seatcovers and it's about time to clean these babies. I remember reading somewhere that they're NOT machine washable - is this correct? If so, am I looking at the ol' hand-wash & Woolite routine here?

Boat Drinks!

-DJ

#19 ·
You are correct, do not machine wash them. The seats are made out of neoprene, the same thing the wetsuits I've used for 23 years to surf in are made of. I use the same thing that I have always used on them which is dish soap (Joy) and warm water. Works great and if it's sunny out let them dry in the shade. I have lost a few wetsuits back in my childhood days due to sunlight cracking.

#20 ·
pagefan,
I found the "X-bound" covers at the local (el cheapo) Shucks auto supply and have seen them at Target and Fred Meyer in the local Seattle area. They were approx $60 a PAIR. I think they give a cooool outdoorsy look to the interior and set off the otherwise non-contrasting interior.(available in red too) The MANY pockets are handy, they are tough cordura nylon but suprisingly comfortable.

check out www.saddleman.com, according to the box, but I can't find the X-bound on the site.

I can wedge the back wheel of the bicycle into them without worrying about messing up the seat or wearing through the factory seat, doing this on a daily basis.

For their price, they can be tossed after a few years, although they claim machine washable cold. They are NOT stretchy and are a snug fit top to bottom, but I find that makes them just stretch enough when sitting on them to pull them snug without getting baggy looking. The laces are used to "custom" adjust them to the seat. Just tuck the extra fabric in and it looks clean. DO NOT put these over the side air bag type seats!

#21 ·
Note: if you plan to get an EX with side airbags, you can't use the covers. Just FYI. If you get an EX w/o side airbags (or any LX or DX) you can use them.

Other than that, I've heard they are neoprene and somewhat less comfortable than the seats themselves. There are 3 reasons I can think to get them:

1) You plan to be wet and/or dirty quite a bit, and the you believe the FXC fabric on the front seats isn't going to be able to handle that much abuse.

2) You want the front seats to be pristine when you sell the E in a few years.

3) You smoke in the car and you are worried about putting a hole in the FXC seats (note that neoprene will only give a bit of protection against this, because it will also burn).

-brendan

#22 ·
I've heard a few good things about the Honda Genuine Seat Covers and more bad things. I have had good experience with the X-bound covers. I have them in the Element now. What I like the most about them is that the storage capability on the back of the seat is not lost - it is covered by the seat cover but the seat cover it self has storage pockets. The back pocket is pretty big too; enough to hold a big atlas. Plus, there are little netted pockets on the sides and in the front.

Might want to look at this as an option. Best of all, they were only $19 each at Walmart.

#24 ·
I opted for 2) keep the seats in pristine condition.

Bought a set of covers made of neoprene for $12 at the local Costco. They have lasted a year. Will probably make it at leat another year. I would like to have something for the rear seats, too, but they don't get used very much, so if I can't find anything cheap (that's me!~) I can do without.

#25 ·
There are many full-seat covers available in the aftermarket; most will fit, as the E seats aren't unusual in size or shape. Just remember, though, that if you buy side air bags, you cannot use a full seat cover, and even partial covers (such as the "ventilated" or wooden ball "massage" type) must be secured in such a way as not to interfere with the side air bags (straps on top and bottom are usually OK, but side straps are a no-go).

#26 ·
I just saw some universal seat covers in Cabelas for $20 each...
Looked good for covering up the back seats when they're up, keep bike schmutz and dog hair off of 'em...

jesse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.