Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, My wait is over. I visited my local Honda dealer and checked out the new ELEMENT. ( just came out in Canada this week)

They would not let me take it for a drive because they only received one model and it sold in 2 hours.

I did get a chance to kick the tires and poke around the car. Over all I was very very impressed...........but I found the seat VERY VERY Uncomfortable. Did anyone else notice the lack of quality of the seats? I understand that they are water resistant, but is that an excuse to make them with no support.

last thing, does anyone know if any aftermarket retailers have started to make bells and whistles for the Element?

·
Registered
116 Posts
We find the seats to be very comfortable in our Element. We traded in a Ford with awful seats, the seats in the Element are great for long trips for us. I found that I liked the back seat tilted back about 20 degrees for the most comfort. Play around with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Perhaps it depends on what you're used to. The seats in the Element aren't cushy or luxurious like the plush interior of my dear departed Buick Regal, but I find them quite comfortable actually. It's a higher driving position and firmer support than I was accustomed to, but I got used to it very quickly, and have never felt at all uncomfortable behind the wheel of my Element.

Maybe adjusting the seat position to your exact liking is the answer. Most important thing to me is plenty of legroom and headroom, and everything I need within easy reach.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
funny you say that. I find the seats in my '92 grand AM much better :)

Lucky for me, I have already found 3rd party seat covers. Hopefuly they will add a little comfort

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
So you found seat covers, are they padded or something? Just curious.

Ironically I found the fit, feel & comfort to be incredible. I do prefer a firmer seat, and that might be what you don't like.. you probably like the bean bag effect? That is what i noticed with the grand am, they do have that sinking feeling.. which I can not stand. But that is the thing, that is why there are different people & different vehicles!

I have back problems, and sinking into a seat kills my back, the firmer feel of the Element seats is ideal! I drove 100 miles yesterday and i was still bouncing around like tigger!

I have an integra I had been driving, and so i am used to a "softer" feel too, but The Element is made for me, smiles!

I wish you luck with your seat covers, I hope that helps. If they are not cushioned, and you want the softer feel.. you can get the sheep skin covers and put it under the covers you just got to make it feel softer, that might give you the feel you want.

And yes a slight angle to the seat also does help too, not the complete upright position.

Again good luck & wish you happiness!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes, I found the covers on a website that I got off this messageboard.

it was called http://www.handaaccessories.com/element.html

But I still have to test drive this sucker first, and then see if I want to buy it. Then worry about the seats.

I have to say that everyone's comments and input have been a great deal of help. thanks

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
I did see that link too, well again i wish you luck, and if the seats are not fluffy enough, you can grab the sheep skin or fleece seat covers anywhere, they are ugly but if you put them under the ones you just got that should give you some extra cushioning and make them fluffy for you (with out that ugly sheepskin look) smiles

good luck, and i would love to hear how it feel to you!

·
Registered
608 Posts
The only problem with sheep skin is when it gets wet and dirty. The honda all season seat covers are so-po-sta hold up to more wear and tear.........

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
right (re the sheepskin getting nasty) the issue was seat comfort and if they are not comfortable (PaulyPaul, felt uncomfortable)....

and he is getting seat covers, I had remarked if they are not cushy enough then he might want to get the sheep skin/or fleece and place them UNDER the seatcover he did get so to protect the fleece from getting nasty (not to mention they are ugly) and give him more comfort.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree that the E's seats are comfortable, especially if you have back problems. I test drove an Azteck and those seats were murder on my back! Now I can drive home from work without pain (almost worth the purchase price! :lol: )

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
humm Element the perfect vehicle for back pain sufferers and dog families!
Yeah that fits here huh?

·
Registered
32 Posts
To PaulyPaul,

I too find the seats QUITE uncomfortable (and I own one...). The discomfort did not become aparent until after a longer drive than my (several) test drives revealed (otherwise... :( ). It's not a matter of materials or plushy-ness, but rather a lack of lower back support. Having my seats bolstered a bit. Glad to hear others are faring better.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My back gets sore easy. I find that the seats in my El are great! They are very firm, so if thats not what you like then they are not for you.
Myself, I like the firmness. But I haven't gone on a ride longer than 45 min. So maybe when I go on a road trip, I'll have a better idea.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had my EX for two weeks. At first, I was not thrilled with the seats. They were OK for short trips, but I was worried about riding in them for a long time. Well, after MUCH fiddling, I think I've got them to were they are actually comfortable. I played with up/down, forward/back, upright/laid-back, and steering wheel tilt. I think the seats can be made to accommodate most but, it take's a bit of adjustment. My only real problem now is my butt sliding around in turns. I'm sure someone will figure something out.

Jim R

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't think the seats are very comfortable for a trip longer than 2 hours.

I'm wondering if they were designed for 150 lb, 19 year olds.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am 5'5", my wife is 5'8" and on a 5 + hour run up to NH from NY, we did fine. We also made the same run back, and no problem. We are both twice the 19 year olds age and neither is Japenese.

You may want/need to play with the adjustments, get the back to where you want it, and get the height on the front seat to where you want it. Don't forget the wheel tilts as well. Keep playing with the adjustments, you should find something comfortable.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm a very large & tall woman and I've found the seats to be very comfortable. I've already put 2K on my E in 3 weeks. Since I do have a bad back the firmer feel is just what I like.

·
Registered
338 Posts
[quote:777c10c715="RML"]I am 5'5", my wife is 5'8" and on a 5 + hour run up to NH from NY, we did fine. We also made the same run back, and no problem. We are both twice the 19 year olds age and neither is Japenese.

You may want/need to play with the adjustments, get the back to where you want it, and get the height on the front seat to where you want it. Don't forget the wheel tilts as well. Keep playing with the adjustments, you should find something comfortable.[/quote:777c10c715]

Not enough snow in NY, eh? Seriously though, you didn't feel fatigued after the 5 hour drive?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Actually went up a few weeks before the snow came to the city. :wink:

With family in NH and Cape Cod, my wife and I drive alot. 5-6 hours in the car is not a problem for either of us. My wife used to be able to drive our old Isuzu trooper II for short trips, but more than a few hours, and her legs and back bothered her. So far, in the E, no problems with the longer trips.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts