Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 EXP front seats move all the way forward making side entry into the car a breeze. I checked a 2007 EX and the seats don't move forward very much, limiting side access. Is this seat limitation consistent in 2007-2009 Elements?

·
Registered
428 Posts
My 2006 EXP front seats move all the way forward making side entry into the car a breeze. I checked a 2007 EX and the seats don't move forward very much, limiting side access. Is this seat limitation consistent in 2007-2009 Elements?
Do you mean front seat back fold forward, or moving entire seat forward?

For 2009, & I think same for 2007-2009, front seat back only fold until it is approx. 90 degree with seating area. It can't fold all the way down next to seating area as pre-2007. You flip the lever on the side of the seat to fold seat back forward.

Personally, I don't know able to fold front seat back forward down to the seating area is really a good idea, specially for driver seat & without any automatic mechanism to disable this function when car is moving. Imaging your rear passenger fold your driver seat forward in the middle of night driving on the dark mountain road. :|

If you want to move seat on the 2007-2009, you move the lever at the front portion underneath the front seat to move entire seat forward.
Entire seat can move forward very much with lever underneath the seat.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The action of the front seats changed in 2007 due to the shoulder belts now coming out of the seatbacks instead of the rear doors. Some people like the change, others don't.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The action of the front seats changed in 2007 due to the shoulder belts now coming out of the seatbacks instead of the rear doors. Some people like the change, others don't.
Yes, I was speaking of the front seat backs folding forward toward the steering wheel (driver's side) and to the dash (passenger side). I've had to load things from the side once the back was full. With the seat backs limited to 90 degrees, it limits access to the back from the side of the car. I don't really understand why Honda would have both doors open on the side exposing so much access and then limit the seat backs to 90 degrees, cutting access in half. It creates an obstacle to loading. I wonder if Honda can do anything about this.

I enjoy being able to fold the front seats all the way forward so my dog can roam freely in the car when I'm shopping without dropping mountains of drool on the front seats. He's a real drooler. It's a lot easier to wipe it off the floor than it is to wash it off the seats. I enjoy the ability to keep the front seats clean for passengers while giving my dog the freedom to roam the car. Folding the seats all the way forward makes that possible. My pooch isn't big enough to see out the windows in the back so, the front seats are a major invitation. I could block him in the back, but I personally don't want to keep him trapped in the back of the car without being able to see outside, or poke his nose out the window when I leave the car.

I love my E and wouldn't drive anything else, but I wish Honda had -really- taken dog activity into consideration when designing it. Then again, maybe it's just me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The non-front-folding seats are an unfortunate result of Honda trying to please those who whined about the shoulder harness being in the door.
Funny, while I thought it was odd, it wasn't a problem for me. I wonder if people would have continue to complain if they knew they'd lose 50% of the side access into the car. It's too bad Honda couldn't compensate by making the seats move all the way to the front.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's too bad Honda couldn't compensate by making the seats move all the way to the front.
I don't have pre-2007, & really never see inside of a pre-2007. Are we talking about pre-2007 entire seat can be moved forward than 2007+ entire seat, or we are talking about pre-2007 seat can be move forward with single side or rear lever & pre-2007's seat back can also be folded?

Anyone seen both pre-2007 & 2007+ could help explain this?

2007+ seat can move very forward, by using lever underneath front portion of the seat. Side lever is no longer can be used to move seat back & fore, & there is no longer rear lever behind the seat.

I am just very confused when we talk about not able to move seat forward, is it entire seat, seating area, or seat back? :confused:

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The seatbacks on pre 07's can collapse forward stopped only by the steering wheel or passenger side dash. Handy but I don't miss it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The seatbacks on pre 07's can collapse forward stopped only by the steering wheel or passenger side dash. Handy but I don't miss it.
Do you mean seat back can be folded against seating area, & both seat back & seating area can be collapsed with just 2 front hinged on the seat attached, & vertically stand again steering wheel or passenger side dash?
Like this "||"?

or

Still collapsed horizontally, but maybe more forward than 2007?
Like this "="?

·
Registered
20 Posts
modify seat tilt ?

Hi
I just bought a 2011 lx, and I have the same feature/problem
Is there any way to modify this?
my sleeping platform (out of my 2005) will not extend to its full length now - it hits the back of the front seats !

thank
s
ed

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can understand why they moved the seat belts from the door to the seats. Nobody here has ever forgotten to unbuckle their seat belt when letting rear passengers in or out?

You get squeezed with the seat belt when the rear doors are opened.

Although I am not sure what that has to do with the forward tilt being eliminated from the seats. I would imagine that it would have still worked even with the seat mounted seat belts.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I wish the front passenger seat would fold forward and flat like the HHR. It would make the car even more verstile.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts