Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I haven't loked closely enough...but I'm having a hard time figuring out where I'm going to tie down the front of my kayak once I get my roof rack installed.

I have a ~13' kayak and I'll want to tie down both the front and rear as well as strap the middle. I didn't see any tow hooks or similar under the front of the E and I didn't see anything resembling metal to mount a hook or loop.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Chad H.
94 Toyota Supra TT
03 Honda Element EX

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd also be interested in this mod. I have a 10' kayak and a 13' canoe. I haven't picked up my Element yet, but was planning on mounting two tow hooks under the bumper to tie the bows down. Can anyone tell me if there is a solid piece of metal there? Preferably frame rail?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the front bumper of my E and was down under the front and there are tow hooks under the front on the frame. You don't have to remove the front to get to these.

Brian
SLM 5 speed

·
Registered
126 Posts
I actually have ratchet straps rated at 200lb/sq", but it's the roof rack mounts that won't be able to take the wind sheer of two 13' boats at 65 mph. Front tie downs do not obstruct you view. The A-pillar does a much better job of that :). If there are two tow hooks already as BB&Freaky-E claims, that will do the trick. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote:d85654ab82="keymonkey"]I actually have ratchet straps rated at 200lb/sq", but it's the roof rack mounts that won't be able to take the wind sheer of two 13' boats at 65 mph. Front tie downs do not obstruct you view. The A-pillar does a much better job of that :). If there are two tow hooks already as BB&Freaky-E claims, that will do the trick. Thanks![/quote:d85654ab82]

My thoughts exactly. Besides, a 13' kayak being held down by staps placed less than 3 feet apart is not my idea of safe. Even if the roof rack holds up...the wind sheer is brutal. The kayak would be all over the place.
I always tie down both the front and rear, if you use the right straps they don't block enough scenery to cause a problem. I am going to buy a set of those straps that Hawaiian E posted though. I've been using some pretty thin straps and it's time to buy some good straps that I don't have to worry about. Thanks for the link Hawaiian!

I don't suppose that anyone has any pics of the underside of their E so that I can find the hooks without crawling on the ground under mine? ;)

Thanks again!

Chad H.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So.. you want me to get on the ground with my camera just to show you where the hooks are? You will have to get down on the ground to get to the hooks anyway. So just get on the ground. DUH! :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote:0f81fa7dc8="BB & Freaky-E"]So.. you want me to get on the ground with my camera just to show you where the hooks are? You will have to get down on the ground to get to the hooks anyway. So just get on the ground. DUH! :roll:[/quote:0f81fa7dc8]

Although it was an attempt at humor...obviously a failed one... I was asking if anyone HAD any pictures of the underside of the E. Not asking someone to go lie down under their E and take some pics. I thought maybe someone had their E on a lift when installing a mod and snapped pics while they were at it. It's really not much of a stretch...people do it all the time.

Next time you use the :roll: make certain you read the post more carefully. A :?: would have been appropriate.

Chad H.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i have a picture of the entire underside.... somebody else posted it on a site to have a photoshopped skid plate added...

if you have an email you want me to send it to please post... ( 76KB in size... )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote:1125d70994="hambone"]i have a picture of the entire underside.... somebody else posted it on a site to have a photoshopped skid plate added...

if you have an email you want me to send it to please post... ( 76KB in size... )[/quote:1125d70994]

Thanks Hambone! I knew someone around here was a picture taker like I am...lol I have over 400 pics of my Supra TT from all different angles and locations. They've helped people as far away as New Zealand ;)

My email is [email protected] . I'd love a copy of any underside pics you have. It might also help me in my quest for more chassis rigidity and a replacement fuel tank protector.

Thanks again,

Chad H.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey Eyeguy007, I know what you were talking about when you posted that question. But do you realize that you could have went out to your E and found the hooks in less time then it took for you to write the question? If you are a big time picture taker, it seems that you should be the one to post the pics. :?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was thinking of fabricating a bracket that would extend between the hood and the plastic that could be bolted to the support going across the radiator, then unbolt when you dont need it. Have it extend about 3 inches with a hole in it for the hooks on a strap. I've used straps to go under the front to a hook in my truck and it scuffed and bent the plastic air dam below the bumper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts