Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hearing a rumbling sound in the front end as I make sharp turns. Has anybody experienced this and is this in any way related to bad trany

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
It's important for us to have some additional information about your Element!

Just for example, If you have a 2 wheel drive Element, a suggestion that your rear Differential fluid needs to be changed, would be a waste of our time and yours.

However if you have a 4 wheel drive, then it's no doubt the cause of your noise. I know that it does not sound like it a possibility. It would be the first thing to do. Change the duel pump fluid!

It also would help to know what part of the country you live in. That will give us a clue to the ambient air temperature at any given time of the year. It's an important piece of information, when your trying to diagnose an issue, without being able to see and feel the symptoms for yourself.

So fill out your profile!

Thanks

Dom

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

New to EOC! :)

I have been having a similar problem with my 2004 Ex 4wd manual trans.
If anyone has some insight here I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm going to take it in but just want to have some clues as to what could be going on.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Its his front wheel, AWD has no bearing on this at all.

FWIW, OP, I've been getting a real low rumble when I turn and I'm just shy of full lock myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds Familiar

Good day,

This sounds like the same sound I have been hearing from the front tires on my '05 AWD/Auto Element for about a year. When making a sharp turn at slow speed (like when pulling into a parking space) it sounds as if the front tires are scrubbing across the pavement, instead of rolling smoothly. I used to hear the same kind of noise on an old Jeep I had when I kept the 4WD turned on and drove on dry pavement. No one seems to be able to figure out what is the cause. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks....Mark

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I had the front struts and brakes changed 2 weeks ago, and now have a similar problem with the right front...

I'll let you know when I take it back in this weekend....

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2003 EX automatic element has been making the same low rumble on sharp turns (more on left turns than right). Sears tech said it was some sort of pressure on the power assisted steering system and is common but I think otherwise.

I read somewhere this is due to the necessity of a differential fluid change. Anyone know if this will fix the problem and if so can anyone do it or do I need to go to a dealer. I just moved and the reviews of the honda dealer in this town are not good, so I will have to go far to get this done.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Welcome, Joe1011. You didn't say whether your car is 4WD (and haven't filled in your profile yet ::hint::). The rear differential fluid change very often does the trick.

If you do have 4WD and haven't put fresh Dual Pump II fluid in your 2004 by now, then it's time. How-to here, linked in the FAQ section.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fluid Change Worked!

I must admit that I was a bit skeptical as to how a rear diff. could be the cause of a front tire rumble, but I took a leap of faith and spent the $20 for the fluid.

To my suprise, the fluid replacement worked perfectly and now there is no more noise! After over a year shopping this problem around to various mechanics, I owe it all to the great info and contributors on this site to deliver the solution.

Many, many thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Rambler Dan,

I don't have a torque wrench, so I would be worried about stripping the bolt or not getting it on tight enough.

Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts