Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Notice to Honda Part 1:
You are probably aware by now that the Element windshields are not holding up very well. Just today mine broke. Not only do they crack but mine shattered into the car......onto the dash....and the driver seat. If I had not had the sunvisor down, I would have had glass in my face, eyes and neck. If you want to sell this car as an SUV then you had better check out why this is happening. Lot's of people will be getting rock bites this summer as they hit the backroads.

Notice to Honda Part 2:
Windshields are on National Backorder. This means when your windshield breaks you cannot get it replaced. You can't even order one since apparently there is no release date. This info as of 4/28/03. The only place you can get the glass is from a dealer...no second party glass available.

Could it be the glass is on back order because Honda is replaceing a whole lot of these?

Honda Dealers...what have you got to say in your defense??

Akk the element owners are listening....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Your problem sounds slightly different than the other windshield reports and I thought the whole idea of the laminate screens was that they DIDN"T shatter the way you describe. If you weren't hit by something travelling at much more than usual velocity, it certainly suggests a very deficient component.

The windshield issue in general is a worrying one and it's disappointing that Honda seem to have remained so silent on the subject. It's entirely possible that some of the reported problems may be due more to driving habits than construction quality or materials, but if even a few of the reported broken windshields have genuinely unaccounted reasons, the manufacturer should be taking this seriously. They seem not to be.

I can't help but hope that the reason the windshields are on backorder is that the manufacturer is re-tooling for better quality so that the units in the future are less prone to this problem. Sadly I suspect it's more as you suggest - there are so many broken ones that there are none left for wider supply. One way or another, it shouldn't take someone ricxh enough to hire a lawyer to get Honda to deal with what is a significant safety issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This sucks. I just joined this website and started looking around then discovered all these complaints about the windshields. My windshield cracked at 1400 Miles. This sounds like it may be a big problem. I love my Element, but this is bad news.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts