Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking i have a frozen rear caliper on my E! :mad:

When i come to a stop after driving for a period of time, i can smell the unmistakable stench of brakes. I've had the sliders out a few different times since this has been an on going problem. I've lubed them and it doesn't seem to improve the situation. I'm getting tired of this problem and i'm not sure what else it could be. Could it be the brake fluid needs a change? Can the piston itself be frozen? If so, how can i "unfreeze" it? She's got 132k on her and i'm trying to avoid buying new calipers :-(

Thanks for any help or ideas

Steve

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you are unsure if it is sticking just carefully put your hand on the wheel, if its noticeable warmer then the other side then its probably sticking or hanging.
Avoiding a new or rebuilt caliper is probably going to cost you more in the long run, you do need to face the fact the vehicle is getting older and you may need to stick some money into it. I found a calipers in the $120 range, which is not bad for OEM parts online at
http://www.hondapartsdeals.com

Chris

·
Registered
590 Posts
rockauto.com has A-1 Cardone parts, they're like $60 a crack. i replaced one of mine. went to far on the oem pads and one pulled the boot out and overextended. so i crammed it back on and went with it for a while... it was a matter of time but the piston froze up. they're no sweat to change out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, i ordered a rear left yesterday for $58 from theautopartsshop.com. I had no idea i could find them for that cheap otherwise i would have done it sooner :D Hopefully i have time to throw it on tomorrow evening.... bleeding the brakes should be the longest part.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts