Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody, I'm a new E owner, 05 EX, AT, SOP or TMM (not sure what the called it in 05)
Mods Thule Roof rack with Yakima Basket Case. Hardwired NUVI 265WT, Passport 8500.

First, let me say I've wanted one since I test drove one in 05 and fate and finances finally aligned for me to finally get my "TONTO2" (94 Suzuki Sidekick 4dr was TONTO.) I do LOVE my E! However, I'm less than impressed with Honda Real Time AWD. in the 2 months of ownership I've slid/loss control 2 times. Both times in snow/ice while driving 20mph or less. The first time was a $2500 insurance claim for front and rear plastic/taillight. The second time, last Sunday evening, slid into the curb from a left turn damaging Right Front Control Arm and Strut. I have owned 3 Audi's and 1 Subaru and am wondering of my problems are:
1. My Driving (probably responsible for 50% or better)
2. Real Time AWD
or
3. Tires, Cooper All seasons.

Now, I realize I cannot drive more than 20mph in a curve/turn in snow/ice conditions but do i really have to crawl at >20mph? in these conditions? That seems to be too much of a sacrifice for a vehicle like this. I do understand this isn't a 4wd jeep or other serious off road vehicle. But, I've always believed my vehicle should be able to get me thru paved roads in any conditions and I'm worried the E doesn't fill this requirement.

Please be kind in your responses (i'm a newbie) but any and all responses are welcomed and appreciated.

Jayster,

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Your tires are suspect. I have driven in over 20 inches of snow without having the E slide. The wife has Nokian WR Suv tires on her E and it's like it's glued to the road. I have Goodyear Foteras on my E, and although not as good as the Nokians, they do not slide much.

Have you taken your E to a vacant lot after a storm to practice sliding it? I find that just doing that, will give you a feeling of just what the E can or can NOT do. It helps in everyday driving.

Dom

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I agree with Dom, the all season tires might be past their prime. As a tire's tread wears down it gets harder too from constant heat cycling. Once the flexibility is baked out of the rubber compound even the best tires will slip and slide. I have General Grabber AT2s for winter and I have had no control issues in over a foot of snow or on glare ice. So check out those tires and get some good rubber on if they are shot and the best advise is, like Dom noted, is to find a vacant lot to practice on until you feel confident.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't done the parking lot driving/sliding yet and now am a little apprehensive about it. I just had call from repair shop, upper control arm bent, strut bent and maybe knuckle and wheel bearings estimate $575. I will have to look at new tires as first fix to this as now I'm almost scared to drive in snow at all. I was looking at Geolanders but a friend told me they wore out in <18K miles on their Jeep Liberty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RamblerDan,

All drivetrain arrangements (rwd,fwd,4wd,awd) will help to various degrees in a turn/curve, rwd being the worst (unless you have rear wheel steering) all the others have the advantage of providing power to the front steering axle or wheels. I realize this and am leaning to tires as the source of most of my frustration. (I'm retired and on a limited budget, 4 new tires would be a major expense to the degree of lower groceries for the month)

That being said any recommendations on tires?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
Yes, Nokian WRG2-SUV's. I'm running the previous model (WR-SUV) and they're INCREDIBLE in the winter and really really damn good in the summer. I had the Geolandars previously and while they were really really good, they are a pretty soft tire and did wear out relatively fast.

Oh and welcome, too bad your introduction isn't in better circumstances! Stick with us, we'll show you the ropes :razz:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi and welcome! Sorry to hear about your sliding mishaps. Are your Cooper tires fairly new? Reason I ask is I had the tires on my Accord siped on a machine by Discount Tire. That dramatically really helped the old Accord's stopping/starting ability in the snow/ice. If you have decent tread left that may be a low cost option.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Welcome to the group - stay away from me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts