Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my car back from honda after they replaced the rear links and struts. BUT, the rear is still thumping! I am frusterated and want someone to rescue my E and not give it back until it's perfect! What else could go wrong with the rear suspension? And on top of that there is an intermitant popping noise in the front. The mechanic heard it once but found nothing wrong with the front. I hate hearing those words when clearly something isnt right! :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
check the rear differential mount. mine went bad at around 80k. i read a few other people having the same issue -- a strange clunk from the rear, change the struts and it still exists. it's the rear diff mount.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it went in for round 2. It ended up being the bushings which was the sound from the very beginning. I am surprised that they didnt catch it the first time all the other stuff was replaced.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Which bushing? I'm having the same sound from the back and I was planning on replacing the shocks soon but maybe I should replace the bushings first.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am also having the same sound. I only notice it a low speeds and it sounds like my kids are hitting a pan with a spoon. Now I will have to do a search on bushings!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Which bushing? I'm having the same sound from the back and I was planning on replacing the shocks soon but maybe I should replace the bushings first.
Sorry, all I was told that 2 bushings were replaced. It was warranty work and now finally the sound is gone and I am relieved. I looked under the car and I think I see where they were replaced because I can see new grease around two joints. I will post a picture in a bit.

Becca

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same issue

I find it interesting that all the issues I've been having with my '04 Element has been happening to others all around the same time. I've noticed a lot of posts from the past 5-6 mos of similar issues w/ same yr E's.

I had a strange thumping noise that started aroun 70k. It became progressively worse. At 93k the noise became really bad and I had to do something about it.

It turned out the differential mount went bad and it was moving quite a bit. So while putting in a new mount, I also changed the rear springs and shocks. The original thumping noise was still there though after the repairs. It is still driving me crazy.

I have a bolt-on trailer hitch, I checked that to see if it was loose. It's solid. So I started banging and shaking around and I noticed the stabilizer bar rattled a little. I then went and looked at the bushings and saw they've seen better days. After reading Becker's posts, it reaffirmed my suspicions. I hope this is the final piece to the puzzle I've been looking for.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My '03 E had the same rear "thumping" over large bumps.

Took it to the dealer.. ( A Ford dealer wher I bought the car used)

The replaced one rear strut, No improrment

replaced both sway bar links , minor improvment.

replace the sway bar bushings shown .. and no more noise.

everything seemed very tight so it was hard for them to detect it.

Now it's nice and quiet!

..They should have started at the easy stuff first...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
funny they approached the problem the same as the honda dealership I took mine to. Weird how they replaced one strut and not both.

·
Registered
34 Posts
funny they approached the problem the same as the honda dealership I took mine to. Weird how they replaced one strut and not both.
I wish it had been both side ... but that's because they were paying for all the parts and labor.. :roll:

·
Registered
191 Posts
GREAT INFORMATION!

This issue has been driving me crazy for such a long time now. I even called a shop to get an estimate on replacing the struts. When they get back to me, I'm sure it will be high.

I would much rather spend 5 to 6 Dollars on parts instead of hundreds on replacing the struts and mounts!

Does anyone know what kind of grease was used?

I plan on doing this later today. I'm gonna go pick up the bushings, and I would like to know what was used to grease 'em up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Done and Done!!

I have been dealing with the clunking for over 30,000 miles, and it's gone!

I went to the dealer and picked up a couple new bushings, picked up some Valvoline multipurpose grease, and took the ten minutes to replace them myself.

Absolutely NO NOISE from the back of my E. Fantastic!

·
Registered
874 Posts
great job!!!saved $$$$and did it your self :shock: whooda thunk it!!!just rember if the dealer wants $$$$$$ you can save $$$$ most of the time if you just use your head(and this greatwealth of information )

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks ramblerdan and marksbug!

No kidding on the saving money part. My dealer wants $105.00 per hour for labor. They probably would have charged about 5 dollars per bushing, then tacked on the use of the grease. Not to mention the "hazardous materials disposal" fee for using the grease!

Total Job cost was $5.60 and ten minutes. The grease was purchased with a gift card given to me by my loving girlfriend :)

Thanks again for this thread guys. Oh EOC, you never fail to impress me :-D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts