Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh! My 2004 EX AWD MT Element just loves eating tires; I'm at 53,000 miles and am on the verge of having to replace my second set!

I'm going to get a credit on my current Big O All-Terrains, since they're only at 22,000 and already almost completely bald. Always regularly rotated. And yes, the alignment needs a look-see, and that may be part of the problem.

But before I spring for another full new set, I'm looking for recommendations. As always, less money is better, but I'm wondering which tires have treated the rest of y'all well. And lasted more than 20,000 measly miles.

I live in sometimes-snowy Utah, at the top of a huge hill, so I'd like something all-terrain and all-season (though I haven't ruled out a snow-tires-in-the-winter, road-tires-in-the-summer approach). I also do a fair amount of highway travel so I need something that will perform well there, as well as on the dirt roads I always seem to find at the end of said highways.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Take a hard look at the Nokians ! The wifes car E has almost 40 K on them. they still kook like new. Good ride and quiet. A quick search will reveal a number of Element owners that rave about them.
Another Link. Every one that puts these things on becomes a believer !

Outstanding on wet or snowy roads. Very good in the dry as well. I have had them on the track. They performed much better than the stock tire.

Dom

·
Registered
290 Posts
Tire wear

I wore out the goodyears that came on my element in 22K miles....I have had a set of yokohamas HTS since...60K on the clock and they dont look worn at all. I got a 4 wheel alignment when I bought them from Mr Tire and have been very satisfied....

:-D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, my stock set lasted about that long too. So I bought some big, beefy Big O ATs, thinking something bigger stood a fighting chance of lasting at least as long as they were supposed to. Nope.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get what you pay for

I manage a Michelin Tire shop that deals with BFG and some Bridgestone.
Over the years, people have the same complaint with no name tires. They don't last. You get what you pay for. BFG A/T ko is one of the best A/T tires on the market, but you pay top dollar, and no km warranty. You should get atleast 80,000km from them if your vehicle is working properly. The Bridgestone Dueler Revo2 is ranked right next to the BFG and has a 70,000km warranty. These should both last you the six years that you should only be driving on a set of tires anyway, if you average under 15,000km a year. If you do more than that, then the Michelin A/T2 is what you should be looking at. It usually gets around 115,000km, but is more of a on/off road hybrid. These tires put you in the premium tire category, and I have never heard a complaint from any of the people that purchase them, unless their vehicles suspension, alignment or braking are causing the tires early wear. I am very partial to the BFG A/T ko myself. Cheers.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
I'll put a +10 on the Nokians, they're freakin' awesome. Not cheap, but as stated above you really get what you pay for in tires. Other than the Nokians, I've also had the Yokohama Geolandars H/T-S G051's and loved them. I haven't had the Michelins but everyone I've heard from who have liked them.

Dedicated winter/summer wheels and tires is your safest bet but if you want to run the same set year round, I would take a close look at the BFg Lng Trail Tour. This model comes with a 60K mile tread life warranty and does well in all conditions.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...c=38744&counter=1&ar=70&rd=16&sw=false&cs=215
DiscountTireGuy, I've had those on my E in the past and took them off after 3 days. They were good on dry pavement but I found the rubber was too hard for the E's light weight and it gave them awful wet traction. As always, YMMV, just my $.03 (inflation you know...)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
65 Posts
Observation

I wore out the goodyears that came on my element in 22K miles....I have had a set of yokohamas HTS since...60K on the clock and they dont look worn at all. I got a 4 wheel alignment when I bought them from Mr Tire and have been very satisfied....

:-D
I can't believe you got 22k on what GY? The Wrangler HP? Both my wife's and my Element (both sticks) only got 10-12k Those were crappy tires. Tried General Grabbers, sssstickyyyy! But Bad noisy. Now I have ContiProContact, smooth and quiet. Got her Kumho KL21, they're comparable in ride and noise at way less money. We both drive pretty hard, so I get the kind of wear I expect. 50k on both (paid off!) Elements,now. 3 sets, crappy GY's, noisey Generals and just did tires on both at about 45k.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Wranglers---very noisy all the time
Michelins---quiet at first, then noisier the more they wear to the point of sounding like a mud truck at 40K
Khumos---so far, very good, nice and quiet, very reasonably priced
>
---been rotating these in an X pattern every 3-4K and wearing well, so far---

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ah Big O. I actually really liked their AT tire, quiet with good traction. But it seemed like every time I went in for a free rotation I'd have to go back a week later to get the tires rebalanced. Weights were always "falling off". Never had the problem again after changing dealers.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Try this link.

Like Twi said, the BFG long trails are to hard in the sidewall for our light Elements. They ride like A truck.

Dom

·
Registered
290 Posts
Its about time...

Over 5 years and 62,000 miles ago I replaced the stock Good Year Wranglers with Yokahama H/T-S tires and here is the outcome.
1- only 2 punctures easily repaired for free by Mr Tire
2- even Tire wear
3- still legal tread depth
Im gonna be due very soon for new Tires and I think Yokahama will get my money again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts