Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Wow- the used car market is brutal right now! Not even one response on my Craigslist ad. I'm shocked. I thought my price is pretty good given the condition of my E. I guess 4WD manual transmission E's may not be as popular as I thought.

Last chance to any interested EOC members. Going on EBAY within a few days with a reserve of $12,250 -well below kbb/NADA/Edmunds

Pics available upon request. Car will be professionally detailed prior to sale.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I feel for you. I had a problem selling my old manual AWD RAV4 when I was buying my Element. People didn't want a manual transmission, and it even had a new clutch! I remember a survey from 2006 that indicated that less than 15% of the buying public would even consider the purchase of a manual transmission vehicle.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Welcome to selling a manual transmission to lazy america. If you were in Europe, it would sell in a day. My buddy looked at the trade in on my E for the hell of it and it would have been $11,500 but if it was an auto he could have gotten me $16,500, yeah, a $5k difference for a $900 option, he said they most likely would have to auction it off because of the manual, no one wants them. I was not getting rid of mine, he is just a dealer always looking out for friends.

Oh yeah, my local honda dealer, Honda of Mentor, had a 06' EX 5spd with 77k miles in perfect condition for almost 8 months, they sold it at a small $7500 at auction, my saleswoman said before they took it to auction they almost sold it for $9k until the guy backed out, I was thinking about trading in my wife's impala ss on it until I decided to keep the v8 beast.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
My buddy looked at the trade in on my E for the hell of it and it would have been $11,500 but if it was an auto he could have gotten me $16,500, yeah, a $5k difference for a $900 option, he said they most likely would have to auction it off because of the manual, no one wants them. I was not getting rid of mine, he is just a dealer always looking out for friends.
Bull poop! Edmunds shows a $600 difference between the auto and manual on your E. Saying a manual transmission vehicle is harder to sell is like saying that an Element is harder to sell because it's a niche vehicle. Your "friend" is pulling your chain.

In the Miata world a 5 speed manual Mazda Miata is more in demand and usually sells for more than the rather rare automatics.

·
Registered
224 Posts
$5K Difference ?

Welcome to selling a manual transmission to lazy america. If you were in Europe, it would sell in a day. My buddy looked at the trade in on my E for the hell of it and it would have been $11,500 but if it was an auto he could have gotten me $16,500, yeah, a $5k difference for a $900 option, he said they most likely would have to auction it off because of the manual, no one wants them. I was not getting rid of mine, he is just a dealer always looking out for friends.

Oh yeah, my local honda dealer, Honda of Mentor, had a 06' EX 5spd with 77k miles in perfect condition for almost 8 months, they sold it at a small $7500 at auction, my saleswoman said before they took it to auction they almost sold it for $9k until the guy backed out, I was thinking about trading in my wife's impala ss on it until I decided to keep the v8 beast.
That price is insane, Insane! The resale difference is less for the standard transmission and does vary slightly according the specific geographic area. If in or near a city, it is not very desirable, but if in a suburban location, the difference would be less.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Welcome to Ohio the second most obese state and first in LAZY! In ohio it has always been hard to sell manual trans cars. I bought my camaro originaly as an auto but later switched it to a 6spd manual and when I took it up to my salesman to show him, he asked why I would do such a stupid thing, I told him I blew up the auto and got the whole 6spd in trade for my blown auto. He then pointed me to a 00 SS Camaro that had a 6spd and it was only $17k, sitting 2 cars away was a 01 Z28 with more miles and Auto for $1k more, they could not sell it, thats why I got such a killer deal on my SC, its a 07', that the dealer got in march of 07' and I bought it on december 14 of 07', it just sat there, crazy, but true.

·
Registered
8 Posts
for one thing, the miata is a sports car that appeals to buyers/drivers who are enthusiasts in performance and old school motorsports. a lot of these folks are die-hard manual loyalists, hence the demand on a manual miata is higher.

the element, on the other hand, appeals to a broader groups of people and some of them are not "gear-heads". many people see the element as a SUV and they want comfort and convenience and that explains the low demand on the manual transmission on this car in the general public. have you seen anyone track their element?

i am in the market for an E and everything single car that i've owned in the past are manual. i am torn between auto and manual for the E just for the reason stated above. since i am getting it as a 2nd vehicle and my current car is a 6-speed manual performance car, i am more inclinded towards getting an auto at this point.

Bull poop! Edmunds shows a $600 difference between the auto and manual on your E. Saying a manual transmission vehicle is harder to sell is like saying that an Element is harder to sell because it's a niche vehicle. Your "friend" is pulling your chain.

In the Miata world a 5 speed manual Mazda Miata is more in demand and usually sells for more than the rather rare automatics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spent 6 months looking for the right 5MT Element. I actually traveled to Milwaukee to buy this one. I will try very had not to own an automatic unless I’m absolutely forced to. Unfortunately, it looks like manual transmissions are going to be harder to find and my choices for a replacement car are pretty limited. I’ve driven an automatic Element, and I feel like the 5MT really changes the character of the vehicle. As far as manual transmission cars being unpopular- I also think that the majority of people don’t even know how to drive one. I wish more people drove manuals. I think driving a manual makes me a safer driver – I don’t have a free hand to mess around with a phone, or cup of coffee- I’m also much more connected to the operation of the vehicle and the driving process. I was reluctant to sell the E and based on the few low ball offers I’ve received so far I’m reconsidering selling it. I’ll probably still post it on Ebay – perhaps there’s a manual transmission purist like me out there looking for an E

·
Registered
8 Posts
well said.

i never understand the logic behind the concept of someone who passes the driver's license test with an automatic vehicle is permitted to drive a manual vehicle. i can understand that the person could learn how to drive stick on his/her own and eventually that's how he/she could manage to operate the car, but the fact that someone who has never driven a stick before could just jump in one and drive off always baffles me.

in some foreign countries, the driver's license tests are separated into "manual" and "automatic" categories. if you have a "manual" lilcense, you can drive both, but if you have a "auto" license, you can only drive an "auto" which makes perfect sense to me.

can you give me more details about your E? i will be in ohio in 2 weeks and i might want to check yours out. thanks!

I spent 6 months looking for the right 5MT Element. I actually traveled to Milwaukee to buy this one. I will try very had not to own an automatic unless I’m absolutely forced to. Unfortunately, it looks like manual transmissions are going to be harder to find and my choices for a replacement car are pretty limited. I’ve driven an automatic Element, and I feel like the 5MT really changes the character of the vehicle. As far as manual transmission cars being unpopular- I also think that the majority of people don’t even know how to drive one. I wish more people drove manuals. I think driving a manual makes me a safer driver – I don’t have a free hand to mess around with a phone, or cup of coffee- I’m also much more connected to the operation of the vehicle and the driving process. I was reluctant to sell the E and based on the few low ball offers I’ve received so far I’m reconsidering selling it. I’ll probably still post it on Ebay – perhaps there’s a manual transmission purist like me out there looking for an E

·
Registered
52 Posts
i was looking for an element for over 2 months, but finally gave in and traded for my dream car - s2000

in any case, if your ride was up for sale sooner I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT IT.

best of luck to you,

gf2

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I spent 6 months looking for the right 5MT Element. I actually traveled to Milwaukee to buy this one. ... I’ll probably still post it on Ebay – perhaps there’s a manual transmission purist like me out there looking for an E
so you don't know the entire vehicle history?
what about rust and road salt buildup?
was this vehicle garaged?

we have to find a good home for this MT. maybe even mine, but you're a long ways from San Diego.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I bought the E with approximately 16000 miles on the clock. I purchased it from a used car place in February, 2007, were it arrived from a Honda dealer in Chicago; presumably as a lease return or trade in. Carfax was clean when I bought the car. No records from previous owner – but I have all records since I’ve owned it.

I try to stay away from dealerships and have performed most maintenance between myself and my mechanic. Since I have had the car I have done the following:

Tires (Nokian Vatiiva 225/70/16) –November, 2007
Lifetime Alignment - November, 2007
Rear Diff fluid replaced at 38,000 miles – June, 2008
Accessory belt replaced October, 2008
New battery (from Costco) in June, 2009
Front Pads/ Rotors- June, 2009
Rear pads/Rotors – August, 2009

Regular oil changes by my mechanic (I hate changing oil)

The E is garaged both at home and work. I washed it regularly during the winter months to avoid rust buildup.

I may be missing something – and I’ll review the records at home and post any additional details

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Bump from someone who misses driving mt Es . . . ;-)

It took me some time to sell both of my mt Es, but on both sales the buyer travelled from out of the area to purchase. And I actually drove over 5 hours each direction to purchase my last one. There are mt enthusiasts out there . . . hopefully one will find your E soon!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump from someone who misses driving mt Es . . . ;-)

It took me some time to sell both of my mt Es, but on both sales the buyer travelled from out of the area to purchase. And I actually drove over 5 hours each direction to purchase my last one. There are mt enthusiasts out there . . . hopefully one will find your E soon!
Thanks for the bump. Yeah - the more I think about it I am really going to miss my E.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
You should post in other city's Craigslists too. Pittsburgh would be a good one.

Your price is right now. Good luck on the sale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts