Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what grade of fuel everyone is using in their E
I used to be a diehard Premium blend user but cut back when the prices got too high. :roll: Does it make a difference in you E to run with the top grade fuel?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Heck No!! My salesman told me use the cheapest stuff around, which I do.

Ger

·
Registered
474 Posts
I did read in an interview with a Honda engineer. The engineer did remark that the 2.4 engine runs about 10 HP more with (93-94 octane) premium fuel. I run a tank of Sunoco Ultra 94 octane about 2-3 times a month. (I avg. 2 tanks per week). I'm still undecided if there is any performance advantage. Ultra 94 is currently $1.48 a gal. here in Joizey.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
We asked our dearler this same question (there is another thread about this topic)....and our dealership said that the E is designed for plain vanillia (aka regular unleaded)....he said that "Higher grades won't hurt your E, you will just be wasting your money" That is good enough for me, especially when we have a 13 year old civic that has only ever gotten regular unleaded and is still running strong (it may not look pretty, but it gets from point A to point B with total ease!)

I have only put regular in my E, and Baby Blue seems to like :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Engines in current production are designed to run either on lower (86/87) or higher octane (92 or higher) fuel.

The Element is designed and engineered to run on lower octane fuel. Paying extra for higher octane or even (illegal) racing gas (102 +) will only result in fewer dollars in your pocket. It will not produce higher power.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use mid grade just to make my engine a little cleaner. It's only .05 more than regular and would only cost me like $65 more a year. For me it's worth it instead of using the lowest grade for my beloved E :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
My dealer made a special point of telling me not to use high octane fuels. The "E" engine is a low compression design that is engineered to use a low octane fuel. Save your money for some "E" accessories instead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Element is designed to run on 87 octane fuel....in some states that is mid-grade. The engine is a high compression engine, 9.7 to 1, contrary to the one replys comment. If you want a little more power put a K & N filter in.....then some Redline 5W-20 synthectic...trust me you'll notice a difference.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Wow, 87 is considered mid-grade in some states! Over here in Chicago, 87 is the low grade, 89 is mid and i think 91 is the high grade.

·
Registered
222 Posts
FWIW a 10 HP gain is barely noticeable given that this gain is typically only at your peak RPMs. Unless you're gunning a brand new car (great idea...) you will not get any boost.

Very few cars (read high performance European imports) require high octane fuel. Seen the new GTI commercial? It requires 91+, hence the long stare from the attendant. My Passat takes 91 as well, trust me, be thankful to be paying less to fill up!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
the E is designed and performs best on 87 octane. over use of higher octanes can, after a while, cause problems with you (E)missions system and in fact could fail any state emissions test and possible void your warranty.

87 ONLY! :!:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts