Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 689 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my partner and i were stoked when we bought this honda because of its weird looks and supposedly good honda gas sipping mileage.
but after 3 months of owning it we still only range about 15-17 mpg!! The car was a year old when we bought it but it still only has like 18k miles on it. Ive done the basic things like tire pressure changing oil / air filter but still cruddy.
Would anyone pls address any other issues i should check before taking it in to the dealer... Much appreciated for anyones response.

btw its an AWD.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Re: Crappy gas mileage

Search gas mileage. This has been discussed thoroughly. I'm assuming this is around town and you may not have a lead foot, but you don't have a light foot either, right? Remember you're pushing a lot more than a Civic with that v-tec. SUV owners are usually pretty impressed with the mileage. FWIW, a lot of us were disappointed with the mileage, but when you factor in the utility it's a fair trade off.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Not to be a smarta**, but did you look around the boards here before you bought? Fuel mileage is well documented. Also, given that you have "Turbo" in your user name, I'm guessing that your driving style might be a factor :grin:

·
Registered
645 Posts

I get 22-24 mpg on average, whether I'm in city or highway. But I'm a fairly conservative driver and mine is a 5 speed 2wd.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts

me too. 21-22 around town, 23-24 highway.

but the key is to keep the speed down on the highway, as mpg drops fast above 70mph.

and around town it is steady speed and not-too-rapid acceleration from a stop.

5sp AWD

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

haha no i dont drive it with a lead foot its was documented in the 20s for gas mileage and i dont get nowhere near it . I searched gas mileage thanks, but i get a lot of worthless posts that dont regard the actual topic issue. "turbo" is in the name cause i own a dodge srt-4 and its mileage is phenomenal compared to the element.

·
Registered
926 Posts

It is hard to say since so many others are having far better performance. I, for example, get between 19 and 23 mpg depending on the mix of highway and local suburban driving. My average is about 21. Also, your Element is well broken in. I have seen a few posts similar to yours in the last couple days, on hondaelement.org, but those seem to be new owners with cars less than 300 miles.

It might help some to know a little more on your situation. Do you have a roof rack? Are there carriers or other items being carried on the roof? Do you carry a lot of cargo in the Element? You mention you and your partner. Do you use it for business? What kind of Business? A lot of short trips carrying items and stopping and going. Any situations where you might have the car parked a lot with the engine running? Steep terrain or rugged conditions? City driving with a lot of stop and go or stuck in traffic jams?

Some may think they need to accelerate hard because the Element has a small engine. It doesn't really need that much to get going. Watch how much pressure you put on the gas. Not saying that you have a lead foot or anything but I, have noticed, myself, sometimes over accelerating. Someone gave some advice once that I thought was great. I quote it a lot. Try accelerating as though you have a raw egg under the pedal. Accelerating more gradual, trying not to break the egg if you know what I mean.

Do you have Manual or Automatic Transmission. If you drive a lot of highway you would want Overdrive on, with the automatic. Someone posted to turn it off and if the engine revs than it is an indication that it is useful for your driving situations. I have done that a couple times and found that there can be a 500 to 1000 rpm difference (drop) when it is on. That would save you some gas if you are driving long distances of steady or continuous speed with limited stops or changes of speed. If a lot of slow driving or stop and go, you might turn it off so that the engine isn't shifting too often. Keep alert to if the engine is running fast. With the Automatic, there is a small button on the AT shifter to turn OD On/Off. Use cruise control when driving on the highway or long stretches where you don't have frequent stops. I find that helps sometimes.

I do a lot of driving on roads that are 2 lanes in each direction and with dedicated turn lanes... with long stretches without stoplights or where the signals are synchronized. If I hit one on green and set my cruise to the legal limit, I usually hit all the lights on green. Unless traffic is heavy and there is a lot of traffic waiting at cross streets. When approaching a red light, I will usually cancel the cruise and let off the gas. I will coast down in speed, in case the light should turn for me. If it does, I will hit resume. Otherwise I will, of course, stop. By pacing myself or coasting down, I can usually drive an entire trip home from my Girlfriends place, (20 miles), without having to stop once. That might improve your performance a little.

Lastly, I don't recall you mentioning. Have you taken the car to a mechanic or the dealer to see if there is something set wrong with the car or out of tune.... I don't know how it works but they should be able to analyze it on a computer to see if there are any problems that can be addressed.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts

I believe when they said partner they were talking about a life partner. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

If I were you I would get on an interstate and do a 250 mile trip with the cruise control at 70 and see what mileage you get. That would be about the best you could ever expect, and it's all downhill from there.

Short trips are a killer on Element mileage.

·
Registered
148 Posts

Wmas1960 has some great advice. To that I would like to add you could try keeping the rpm's at about 2200-2500 while accelerating, which will keep the i-VTEC from switching from "12 valve" mode to "16 valve" mode, thus getting you better mileage. If you have a manual, shift at appropriate speeds . . . the automatic will do this by itself. Once in 4th (or 5th if you have a manual) and you need more speed, you can accelerate above 2200-2500 rpm if need be. Use your tachometer, that's what it's there for!

Coming from driving a Ford Explorer Sport, then Chrysler minivan, I'm happy I don't have to pay over $20 to fill up the tank. Of course, I'd love to have the gas mileage my sister's Civic gets, but as others have said, I'm willing to compromise for the extra space and other features.

·
Registered
198 Posts

My E SUCKS gas that is, I have gott'en 19.6 to 21.3 mpg with my 05, EX 4WD. I bet if Honda put the V6 in it we could get better gas mileage. :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

well from ur posts seems like something may not be right on the element. the avg i see is in the 20s but for me on a good day (freeway driving all the way) its 17 at most . I ve done nothing different to the car cept install an overhead dvd/tv monitor- but the cars gas sucking was an issue than. ill try to find time to send it to a dealer, but dealers are usually very ignorant- if they dont get a check engine light then they dont care. I may have an understanding why this car was returned from its first owner. You think a 4 banger honda would be good on gas either the lil civic or the box element.

·
Registered
599 Posts

My mileage has been very consistent and although I am a very easy on my Element (Usually don’t put the tach past 3,000 RPM’s before shifting) I did notice that the one time I took it down to NJ to visit family the constant stop and go driving caused me to experience mileage somewhere around 19mpg. This is a far cry from the 25-26 I usually see. This past weekend I took it to up state NY from Vermont and saw 28mpg throughout the trip. I think it really does matter how you drive it as well as where you drive it. I find that the 4cyl in the E with a 5-speed manual has more than enough power and like I said I rarely push it past 3 grand on the tachometer.

Also make sure you are properly calculating your gas mileage. There seem to be some misconceptions out there as to how to figure out your exact mileage. Do a search, you will find that this topic has come up very often.

Hope you can figure out what’s going on with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

u use the mileage used from the trip divided by the actual gas put back in at fill up ya i am a mileage ***** =)

·
Registered
350 Posts

My mileage is not that great either. At my last fill up I calculated that I only got 15.5mpg, I usually get 17-18.5. All of my driving is stop and go in the city, and the first thing my car faces in the morning is a steep hill. So I am hoping that once I finally move, my mileage will increase (applying for jobs now). I have a 04 AWD Automatic, with close to 6,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

Rating the mileage on one tank is not really fair, but the next to last full tank I used got 24.5 doing some very moderate driving and taking my own advice from the "DIY: better gas mileage" thread.

The last tank, though, I drove pretty bad... a lot of speeding (actually, that's just up to pace in Atlanta), and a few short trips where I drove like a maniac, lot's of breaking... I got 22.9 mpg.

Again, you can't judge on one or two tanks, you need to weigh it over time...

·
Registered
536 Posts

Well, I went from driving a Ford F-150 w/ a big 6cyl to this, so this mileage is GREAT compared. I was getting about 330 miles on a tank and it was costing me about $50 each fillup. So, getting 275+ on only about 12.5 or 13 gal is awesome. I was freaking out the first time I filled up my E...the pump stopped at $22.00. I thought something was wrong with it till I realized that it was full!
Gotta love the 4cyl - and w/ 4WD, sheesh.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

yes i understand and know how to use overdrive. ive owned 4 bangers all my life and if the mileage is normal for element its pretty sorry. i was hoping low to mid 20s on cruddy driving conditions and mid high 20s on good conditions .

1 - 20 of 689 Posts