Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 690 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Re: Crappy gas mileage

i think that is hopelessly hopeful!

since the e weighs twice as much as a civic, and is (ahem) aerodynamically challenged, its not going to get high 20s, unless you drive 55mph

·
Registered
1,214 Posts

joeneonturbo said:
yes i understand and know how to use overdrive. ive owned 4 bangers all my life and if the mileage is normal for element its pretty sorry. i was hoping low to mid 20s on cruddy driving conditions and mid high 20s on good conditions .
You know... just had to ask. But I also think you are being overly optomistic... this is the first car I'm driving where the suggested MPG is actually close to what I'm getting; I usually get more. But I can't complain...

I mean, it's "supposed" to be 21/26.... I've been averaging around 24 in a mix of highway and city driving (keeping in mind that highway doesn't mean the interstate with stop and go traffic at rush hour). So what's normal? I think my mileage is pretty normal, and if you're getting substantially less than that, then there's a problem. I don't think I could even drive bad and get less than 21.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I have an 04 ex auto and so far I have gotten 25-27 miles per ga. That's city. On my trip to San Diego, Ca I got about 22-25 Hyw. :)

·
Registered
97 Posts

What do they put in that gas in Utah? My 05 EX AWD Auto got 19MPG, 1st tank, 20MPG 2nd & 21MPG third tank. Just think at this rate, after 80 more fill ups I'll get 100MPG!

·
Acura Tech
325 Posts

I average about 21 and I would say I have a heavy foot.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Although I knew the EPA estimates for mileage were pretty modest, I was hoping to see better mileage on my E, especially after talking to people who drive Accords with the same engine. Obviously the E's 2.4L engine is tuned and geared differently, plus its heavier and shaped like a brick.
I'm averaging around 18-19 in the city and 23-24 on the highway.
One thing that would really help would be a 5spd auto. I noticed at 70mph the engine is turning at 3000rpm, while my mothers 2.2L Camry engine doesn't hit 3000 until 80. This would help the compromise between acceleration and economy.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I get about 19 around town, but live in a high traffic, hilly area (North Shore of Long Island). Remember that the Element is about as aerodynamic as a barn door, so it's not going to get the same mileage as a smaller, less wind resistant car with the same engine.

·
Registered
536 Posts

I get about 20-21 in the city...just got back from a 1000 mile round trip to utah and back and averaged 25 the whole way. gotta love those freeway miles. and I have a auto tranny...anything above 70mph i'm hummin above 3K RPM's. But ya know, that isnt exactly a bad thing...I was able to make it up and through mountain passes w/ no problem cause my RPMs were up, espcially when I was cruising at 80-85, didnt have to stomp it to downshift.

·
Registered
165 Posts

I have 5,000 miles on my E, use synthetic oil and have an aftermarket K&N airbox, When traveling around town I always get approx. 22 mpg, when cruising upstate NY and averaging a speed of 75mph the mileage is around 25. Initially with all standard equipment and regular motor oil my mileage sucked at about 18 but the E was new and needed to be broken in. I'm pleased with the mileage, it better than my S-10 that I traded in, try 13 mpg.. !!

·
Registered
323 Posts

dodge srt-4 = 2900lbs

honda element = 3527lbs

difference = 627lbs

i'm sure 600+ extra lbs could be worth an extra 5mpg....

·
Registered
482 Posts

man i don't know what's wrong with the mileage on your car...i get about 27-28highway and22-23 city...on average about 25 mpg..so i can go 400miles per tank...that's better than my toyota truck that got 20mpg...i have a manual transmission....what kind of rpm's are you running?....i change gears at 3000 rpms normally....sometimes if i'm pulling out quick or something i have to go a little higher....cruising down the interstate at 75 is about 3500 rpms..around 80mph it goes up to 4000....that burns up more gas..i guess if you went 70 it would burn even less

·
Registered
536 Posts

kilgoja said:
man i don't know what's wrong with the mileage on your car...i get about 27-28highway and22-23 city...on average about 25 mpg..so i can go 400miles per tank...that's better than my toyota truck that got 20mpg...i have a manual transmission....what kind of rpm's are you running?....i change gears at 3000 rpms normally....sometimes if i'm pulling out quick or something i have to go a little higher....cruising down the interstate at 75 is about 3500 rpms..around 80mph it goes up to 4000....that burns up more gas..i guess if you went 70 it would burn even less
What is "city" for you in alabama? Here in So Cal, "city" is not going above 40 before you have to stop for either traffic or another stop light. even "highway" isnt for any distance long enough to get the highway advantages.

·
Banned
631 Posts

joeneonturbo said:
my partner and i were stoked when we bought this honda because of its weird looks and supposedly good honda gas sipping mileage.
but after 3 months of owning it we still only range about 15-17 mpg!! The car was a year old when we bought it but it still only has like 18k miles on it. Ive done the basic things like tire pressure changing oil / air filter but still cruddy.
Would anyone pls address any other issues i should check before taking it in to the dealer... Much appreciated for anyones response.

btw its an AWD.
You obviously are driving with a heavy foot.

·
Registered
536 Posts

I'd agree w/ the last poster on this one. 15-17??? I think you're definitely driving with a lead foot for sure. I've never gotten below 19 and I drive pretty nutz sometimes. You've gotten be floorin it at every start or somethin...I dont know of anyone on the boards gettin that kinda mileage.

·
Registered
482 Posts

we have cities in alabama...i used to live in atlanta...birmingham isn't that much smaller...traffic in atlanta is the worst in the country...or so i've heard...maybe new york is a little worse..i don't know...who cares....i'm just telling you what kind of gas mileage i get...if you want gas mileage trade the e in on an insight

you idiot!
aka napoleon dynamite

·
Registered
717 Posts

try using the idle learn procedure. to set all the sensors.

The idle learn procedure must be done so the ECM can learn the engine idle characteristics.

Procedure
disconect battery for 20 seconds then reconect.
Make sure all electrical items (A/C, audio, rear defogger, lights, etc.,) are off.

Start the engine, and hold it at 3,000 rpm with no load (in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194?F (90?C).

Let the engine idle for about 5 minutes with the throttle fully closed.

NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minutes.

also if you install an exhaust, intake, or what ever. disconnect the batery for 20 seconds reconect it and follow the above procedure.

-tom :)

·
Registered
536 Posts

kilgoja said:
we have cities in alabama...i used to live in atlanta...birmingham isn't that much smaller...traffic in atlanta is the worst in the country...or so i've heard...maybe new york is a little worse..i don't know...who cares....i'm just telling you what kind of gas mileage i get...if you want gas mileage trade the e in on an insight

you idiot!
aka napoleon dynamite
Well, traffic is the worst in Los Angeles for sure. Here are a couple links
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=3893231
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855647.html
Looks like Los Angeles is about as bad as new york and atlanta combined...

·
Registered
536 Posts

Same here, thats why i'm movin the hell away from here!

·
Registered
482 Posts

i don't know..orange county is supposed to be a cool place...right?....maybe you just need to move to a different part of orange county...i don't know..never been there...i know a lot of cool bands come from there...that's about it :lol:

21 - 40 of 690 Posts