Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My manual transmission 2007 SC with 54,000 miles just started getting bad gas mileage. It went from 300 miles to a full tank, to 280, now 260, all within 3 weeks. I've cleaned and re-oiled the K&N. Was also going to put some fuel injector cleaner in it too. Any suggestions as to what it could be before I spend lots of $ at Honda?
Also, I think I'm running high RPMs to MPH. At 70 MPH, it's running at 4000 RPMs. What are other's RPMs to MPHs?
Thank you,
Brandi

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
My manual transmission 2007 SC with 54,000 miles just started getting bad gas mileage. It went from 300 miles to a full tank, to 280, now 260, all within 3 weeks. I've cleaned and re-oiled the K&N. Was also going to put some fuel injector cleaner in it too. Any suggestions as to what it could be before I spend lots of $ at Honda?
Also, I think I'm running high RPMs to MPH. At 70 MPH, it's running at 4000 RPMs. What are other's RPMs to MPHs?
Thank you, Brandi
The most common reason for poor gas mileage is lead in the right foot. In the late spring and early summer as my spirits increase, my my foot descends faster.

Assuming your driving style and pattern haven't changed and the vehicle seems to perform more or less normally otherwise, I can think of several things that could cause a reduction in MPG:

Bad gas or a seasonal/regional change in the gas formula
Gas being lost from your tank, by a leak, evaporation or theft. Higher alcohol content = lower heat content/gal.
Exhaust system restriction
Plug or injector fouling
Increased friction in the post-engine drivetrain from brakes, bearings or tire pressure.
Slippage in the drive train (clutch)

The only one that would cause the engine with MT to run at higher RPM in the same gear for the same road speed is the last one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I too think the RPMs are high. Thank you to both. I will check into the suggestions mentioned.

Brandi

1 - 4 of 4 Posts