Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just wondering, with all of Honda's dos & don'ts with the E, is there any reason I shouldn't use a fuel system cleaner like Red Line every now & then?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't think there's any problem with it; I use Chevron Techron from time to time in all my cars.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi,
Admittedly, I run Techron every now and then, but really what is more important is to burn name brand gasoline.

Regular grade is fine, but....

Burn a good brand!

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,448 Posts
From experience of a broken timing belt (Honda, YEARS ago), the mech who did the work showed me what cheap gas does to the inside (valves). ALWAYS go with a good brand gas - Chevron, Shell, etc. :)
In regards to your question - yes, running a fuel cleaner (I use Sea Foam) through your engine is fine, but, like ALL good things - too much is not. It's a waste of your time and $$ to run it in EVERY tank - no need to and, IMHO, $$ NOT well spent. Cheers!! :cool:

·
Registered
156 Posts
What problems did you have with the valves? Was it due to the additives, or lack thereof?

Around here (Seattle), there are only so many refineries. A lot of different brands come from the Tesoro refinery in Anacortes (now Marathon, I guess). But I heard different brands get different additives.

Personal experience (sample of 1, or 3 if you count cars), "no brand" gas has been fine here, over 20 years, 13 on the Element.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would also recommend using non-ethanol whenever you can. I think ethanol is harder on our older car's fuel systems especially if they sit for any length of time. I'm fortunate in that I live in an area where 87 and 91 octane non-ethanol is available at pretty much every gas station.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts