Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
other than the rack itself and rope or straps, what else do i need to safely carry a canoe on my '06 E? i'd appreciate any input.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Check your state's VC to see if there are any special requirements or restrictions on oversized loads. In Ca, you are required to attach a red or bright colored flag at the end of your load.
"LAMP OR FLAG ON PROJECTIONS:
Per CVC Section 24604, whenever the load upon any vehicle extends, or whenever any integral part of any vehicle projects, to the rear four feet or more beyond the rear of the vehicle, as measured from the taillamps, there shall be displayed at the extreme end of the load or projecting part of the vehicle:

a solid red or fluorescent orange flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square, or
during darkness, in addition to the required taillamp, two red lights with a bulb rated not in excess of six candlepower plainly visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the sides and rear.

Use tie downs with the adjustable ratcheting straps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The roof racks on the E are very close together front to back (one of my few gripes about the Element). You're going to want to tie a rope from the bow of the canoe to the front bumper and from the stern of the canoe to the back bumper (in addition to using tie down straps around the rack crossbars). This will keep the canoe from pitching up and down.

sm

·
Registered
2,733 Posts

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
The roof racks on the E are very close together front to back (one of my few gripes about the Element). You're going to want to tie a rope from the bow of the canoe to the front bumper and from the stern of the canoe to the back bumper (in addition to using tie down straps around the rack crossbars). This will keep the canoe from pitching up and down.

sm
Yup!

I like to use 2 in the front....one line to each corner, as well as one in the back. Besides the pitching up and down it keeps the boat centered.

There are little nylon loops you can get that attach to the fender bolts under the hood as tie down points or fabricate your own.

not mine. ^

mine^

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im very interested in how you have the front tied down...I pack a small one man old town canoe which sits in the U shape kayak roof rack attachment. The issue with my set up is I tie off the bow straight down across the center of the hood and the tie down rope is constantly rubbing...not to mention its in my direct line of site.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Sully,
Normally I recommend those little nylon loops. They have an eyleet in one end and you simply remove one bolt holding the front of the fender on, then slip the loop over the bolt and re-install the bolt. You open the hood and access the loop when needed, and tuck them inside the hood when you're done. Simple, inexpensive, and plenty effective. Most good canoe-kayak places sell 'em, or you can make your own.

http://www.austinkayak.com/products/1556/ACK-Hood-Loops-2-pk.html

http://www.pbase.com/ozarkpaddler/image/140851478

I made a rigid variation out of some 1/8"x1" aluminum flat bar. I cut the flat bar about 8" long and drilled 3/8" holes in the ends. I rounded the one end for neatness and to prevent possible injury. I installed a 3/8x 1-1/2" (or 1-1/4" ? can't remember) bolt upside down through an existing hole in the radiator support. I secured it w/ a nut so that there was an extra 1/2" or so "stud" sticking up. I mount the aluminum bar to the side w/ a wing-nut to secure it to the stud, with the bar tucked under the fender as shown in the photos. When done i remove the wing nut and re-mount the bar so it is hidden under the hood.

The "tabs" on the aluminum bar keep my braided nylon tie lines just far enough away from the paint.

In the rear, I use a single line straight down to my hitch.

like my signature lines says....it ain't easy bein' cheesy!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
2 other thoughts....

I'm sure you could make your own loops out of rope and tie them through the same holes in the radiator support I used for the bolts. Then just open/close the hood to access them when needed. Easy and cheap idea to try.

I see you have a brush guard.....what about typing the lines to the "ends" of the brush guard way out by the corners. Maybe even use a more permant clamp on type bracket mounting point if you're so inclined.

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts