Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day I installed another 12v socket in the console. Everything seemed ok but today my left headlight is out, and lights are about 5 months old..

The 12v socket is grounded properly to a bolt under the console but I'm wondering about the positive wire. It's plugged into a spade connector I found above the 3rd row of fuses in the box. Anybody know what that spade is for and should I relocate the connection? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I recently added a tap on that spade for a low powered accessory - wanted a constant on power supply and it looked like a handy spot, and as soon as I did, the interior lights started acting strange. There is a diagram in here somewhere that lists what it is but I can't find it off hand. I thought I remembered it being for the fog lamp relay but obviously not. Recommend removing your tap until you find out since you're using a lot more power from it than I was. My voltmeter shows that the spade doesn't supply full battery voltage at between 1-2 volts less.

Here's a link that shows everything you need but doesn't really say what it is. Sorry...
http://www.elementownersclub.com/fo...71900&highlight=fuse+block+diagram#post771900

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well if it doesn't supply 12 volts I might as well not use that connector. An Add-A-Circuit might work better I guess I can try that too along with switching the bulbs around. Thanks guys I'll repost the results :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm an idiot haha last week the Fuse for the interior power outlet blew and I didn't realize the diagram in the manual for the fuse box is facing the opposite direction. I yanked the fuse for the left headlight thinking it was a spare... Lol well at least that's fixed and btw the spade connector reads 14 volts so it's good for power use!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I think that eventually, I'll go ahead and run a wire through to the battery and put in a secondary fuse block. Add-a-fuse connections (what I'm using now) just strike me as too much of a kludge to rely on long term, but at least they're convenient when you're trying out an idea and the pitiful little Honda electrical system has no extra taps available for accessories not provided by Honda. This is the first vehicle I've ever had with no provisions for owner add-ons and I'm not at all impressed with it. Even the unused fuse positions have the contacts removed to make them unusable.

Would you take a look at the diagram at http://www.elementownersclub.com/fo...71900&highlight=fuse+block+diagram#post771900 and tell me where the spade is you're using? You don't have anything in your profile to say what year or model you have but I'd like to track down a power source too.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
... pitiful little Honda electrical system has no extra taps available for accessories not provided by Honda. This is the first vehicle I've ever had with no provisions for owner add-ons and I'm not at all impressed with it. Even the unused fuse positions have the contacts removed to make them unusable.
Have you seen the posts on the U connector and V connector?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry I need to complete my profile hah my Element is a 2004 and is green for that matter :D As for the spade, I believe it's #10 on the diagram but its hard to tell. I wonder how many amps can be drawn off that guy cause it's a very convenient 14 volts lol

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Have you seen the threads on the U connector and V connector?
I'll have to go back again and see where I messed up before. I'm pretty sure it was the U connector that was giving so much grief. I connected a simple 80-100 ma draw on it and the dome lights started flashing on and off rapidly. Second time I connected to it, they went on for about 10 seconds and then just cut off and wouldn't go back on till I disconnected. I ended up putting an add-a-fuse on another location which worked fine. Obviously I hooked up to another location, but I'll swear it was a larger, single lug all by itself.

·
Registered
244 Posts
add a fuse

I think that eventually, I'll go ahead and run a wire through to the battery and put in a secondary fuse block. Add-a-fuse connections (what I'm using now) just strike me as too much of a kludge to rely on long term, but at least they're convenient when you're trying out an idea and the pitiful little Honda electrical system has no extra taps available for accessories not provided by Honda. This is the first vehicle I've ever had with no provisions for owner add-ons and I'm not at all impressed with it. Even the unused fuse positions have the contacts removed to make them unusable.

For the record I added three always on outlets to my center console five years ago using an add a fuse connector in the under hood fuse box, and I haven't had any problems at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts