Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Agree.

I had a timing chain in a truck and it went forEVER and then I sold it - dumb move .

Definately a Money saver

·
Registered
335 Posts
Very good news. My last pickup broke its belt at 62K miles and the shop wanted $600 to replace it. And because it broke while I was driving it, they were telling me that all my valves would probably have to replaced because the pistions most likely crashed into them.

Fortunately, I knew a guy who was familiar with my engine and he told me that the valves did not intrude into the path of the piston and that the shop was just trying to pad the repair charges.

I ended up paying $70 for the new belt and installed it myself. It took me 10 days and I had to remove everything in front of the engine - bumper, grille, radiator, fan, etc. - because I did not have the means or know-how to pull the engine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No timing chain!?! That's hard to believe but good news if that is true. If true what does Honda use in place of a timing chain?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Okay guys. Most vehicles today use TIMING BELTS. I've owned Accords, CRXs, and Civics - all with timing BELTS. These belts are rubber and dry out stretch and wear. They have to be changed every 60,000 miles.

Okay. Heavy Duty vehicles, I had a FORD F250 had a timing chain. It is a metal chain - doesn't dry out - doesn't stretch - doesn't need to be replaced. I drove that Truck for 10 years and never had it touched, got rid of the truck (dumb move) and I bet it drove for another 10.

The Element has a Timing CHAIN, not a rubber belt. So, unlike the Accords, preludes, Civics, S2000, the timing belt does NOT need to be changed every 60,000 miles.

This saves a costly repair and a day lost in the shop every 60K. It's a good deal - believe me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
"The Element has a Timing CHAIN, not a rubber belt. So, unlike the Accords, preludes, Civics, S2000, the timing belt does NOT need to be changed every 60,000 miles. "

This is another reason why my element makes me happy :D :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hate to be a skeptic but just want to make sure I have my facts straight. The Element has a CR-V motor, so does the CR-V have a timing chain versus a timing belt?

·
Registered
14 Posts
[quote:e9d49dccd5="Simon"]Okay. Heavy Duty vehicles, I had a FORD F250 had a timing chain. It is a metal chain - doesn't dry out - doesn't stretch - doesn't need to be replaced.[/quote:e9d49dccd5]

Timing chains stretch. Timing chains are a "wear part" and need to be replaced as a part of scheduled maintenance, typically every 60,000 miles to 75,000 miles. They can last longer than that.

Over time, even metal stretches.

·
Registered
352 Posts
To okfine. The CR-V and E share the same motor. Both have timing chains, not timing belts.

·
Registered
352 Posts
After spending 4 hours changing the timing belt on my 97 Civic, I decided my next car wouldn't have a timing belt. It's not that the belt is difficult to change or is a poor design, I just prefer the "chain". Thankfully most of Hondas new engines now have chains.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Does the timing chain appear anywhere on the recommended maintenance schedule of the E?

Peace out,
-jdef

·
Registered
352 Posts
jdef -Nope. Run it till it breaks.

·
Registered
245 Posts
So am I reading info correctly? No timing belt but timing chain. When should it have maintenance? I have 62,000 miles.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The timing chain in the Element will go more than 200,000 without being changed. Several of our members have reached that benchmark without changing it. The Part that puts tension on the chain will topically not last as long as the chain itself.

There are several threads that address this in the forum. Some with Photo's, some with Instructions.
A search showed several threads threads on this topic. This is one of them.

Dom

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thank you for the info and for not making me feel like an idiot. I did search for the info, both in the mannual and under maintenance and could not find anything. Helpfulness, not arrogance. Another reason to love my Element, nice people!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Timing chains still need replacing, but typically much farther out than a belt.

& not all belts are created equal either as Subi. timing belts require changes @ 105k.

Most chains run from 110-125k, but it's not unheard of to keep on going past that point. Even my VW VR6 is usually pushed back to 150k or so.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
"Need replacing... typically much farther out than a belt"? Certainly not on any predetermined schedule. "...110-125k,"? No, how about "the life of the engine".

Said before, and repeat as necessary: E's timing chain is not a scheduled service item. With proper care (oil & filter changes) and reasonable vehicle operation (NOT thousands of miles at 5000 rpm), it should last at least 200-250K, right along with other overall engine wear issues. Replace when and only when a problem with it is diagnosed.

Bottom line: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts