Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is common knowledge now, but Gabriel has their Ultra Readymount model available for all for corners. Got all 4 from Summit Racing for about $550 shipped (although I'm not sure I would order from them again as the boxes were beat to hell). Had them installed today.

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EX
104 Posts
I've been in the market for new struts and saw this last week. I'm looking to do the work myself to save money and want to have new springs as well so a ready-to-install assembly makes the most sense. OEM is preferred but out of budget, Monroe is mostly horror stories, so that leaves these. Anyone else have first-hand experience?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
825 Posts
Maybe this is common knowledge now, but Gabriel has their Ultra Readymount model available for all for corners. Got all 4 from Summit Racing for about $550 shipped (although I'm not sure I would order from them again as the boxes were beat to hell). Had them installed today.

View attachment 203477

View attachment 203478

View attachment 203477

View attachment 203478
Ephraim: One big question. How does your Element ride with the new struts?

I'm asking because my #1 complaint with my '03 EX is its very stiff ride. I bought it with 111K miles and zero maintenance records. The rear struts and springs looked as though they had been replaced very recently, but both the front and rear are at the same level of bouncy stiff. I'm at 135K now and 2 years later, but it still rides the same.

I'm not an off-road kind of guy at all, and would prefer that my Element would have a more car like ride; more like a CRV perhaps. I wouldn't mind throwing $550 at mine if I knew I could expect a major ride improvement with these struts. But, there are so many cheap Chinese knock-offs out there these days, you really don't know what to expect; other than it "fits" your car! With a name like Ultra ReadyMount, these Gabriels that you bought should be an easy bolt in for the average do it yourselfer!

Please let me know. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My oems (second set) were in very bad shape, so the new Gabriels feel really great. Neighborhood mechanic said compared to a lot of the aftermarket quick struts, the Gabriels seemed to be better quality. Keep in mind that I still have all of the other bonks, klunks and rattles (compliance bushings are next), but the ride is much improved. Pretty sure that the pickings were pretty slim (or non-existent) until the Gabriels if you were looking to get new ones all the way around. No regrets so far (hah, been a whole week!)

·
Registered
825 Posts
My oems (second set) were in very bad shape, so the new Gabriels feel really great. Neighborhood mechanic said compared to a lot of the aftermarket quick struts, the Gabriels seemed to be better quality. Keep in mind that I still have all of the other bonks, klunks and rattles (compliance bushings are next), but the ride is much improved. Pretty sure that the pickings were pretty slim (or non-existent) until the Gabriels if you were looking to get new ones all the way around. No regrets so far (hah, been a whole week!)
Thanks Ephraim. Did you get the best price from Summit?

I used to buy from them, but that was ages ago!

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element EX
104 Posts
...the best price from Summit?
I checked this just a moment ago. There might be other vendors but these seemed to be the main ones. These prices are without any potential promo codes. Shipping to ZIP 35674.
  • Summit: $534.96 + $42.80 tax + free shipping = $577.76
  • Rock Auto: $510.46 + $40.83 tax + $27.98 shipping = $579.27
  • Zoro: $511.93 + $40.96 tax + free shipping = $552.89 (NOTE: Walmart and Rakuten both list these struts as "Sold by Zoro.")
  • CarID: $511.76 + $40.94 tax + $18.69 shipping = $571.39

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Price at Summit looks to be about what I paid, but they had a $30 off promo at the time. I've not used Summit before, but was a bit suprised by this when they showed up (although I think they were dropped from the manufacturer):

·
Registered
825 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the price info.

I think before I pop for the struts, I'm going to see what happens with new tires. Here's what I'm looking to buy, waiting for some input from everyone here:

If it's still all stiff and bouncy after I get the new tires, I think next step would be the struts.

Looks like the strut prices are all reasonably close to one another, so I know just to get the Gabriels.

Thanks again! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I kind of did the same thing in that order. I put Geolandar G015s on, thinking they would improve the ride, and they did. However, they also seemed to amplify my struts being bad - my E became really squirrely over bumps, even moving it laterally slightly. In fact, the first time I had it on the interstate with new tires I hit a pretty mean expansion joint - threw me what felt like a foot to the right. Was scary. All that gone after the struts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ephraim
I hope you don't mind but I have a few questions about those Gabriel's, I'm sure all other readers would benefit from your answers.
I've been looking at those Gabriel's but have been hesitant on getting them because all of the re-sellers I've looked at claimed that they will work/fit on the SC, they're referencing Gabriel's fitment guide which shows them fitting all Element years and NOT excluding the SC.
They also show just the strut (G52112 and G52113) and those clearly say they exclude SC. Having said that, yesterday (4/13/20) I called Gabriel's Support dept, and spoke to their rep. I explained that I needed clarification on weather or not that Readymount model will work on the SC.
After a lengthy conversation with the tech, He confirmed that they never tested the ready mounts on the SC , they only tested the struts. he also confirmed that the struts listed that exclude SC are the same ones used in the Readymounts, He was just as confused and said they would update their fitment guide to reflect that the ready mounts will not fit the SC.

Ok that was a mouth full.. So my questions are..
1. Did you by any chance do a side by side comparison with the factory SC and the Gabriels ? if so Any difference?
2. Did you notice a size difference in the springs (coil/loop count)?
3. Were they a direct fit and bolt on?
4. Was the vehicle height changed at all?
5. How does the ride feel, its it soft, med, stiff?

Thanks for you held Ephraim.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Howdy Croket - so I can't speak to doing any comparison with the OEM SC strut assemblies, as I have an EX, nor can I answer the coil loop count as I didn't check. I can say that the ride height is perhaps a bit higher, but that may be because my old ones were pretty shot and saggy (if that's even possible). The ride is about the same as when I bought it with 27k miles - which is to say sooo much better. I was about ready to get rid of my E, the ride had gotten so bad (but I also replaced the front control arms including compliance bushings, stabilizer links and bushings). I have no regrets!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the response Ephraim. My apologizes, for some reason I thought you had an SC. lol I've also been contemplating selling as I'm having a hard time finding struts for my SC. I can remember when mine rode as nice as you've just described yours, ahhh the good old days..
Thanks again Ephraim.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel your pain Croket - the price for OEM is just a joke. All the way around would be set one back $1200 just for the parts. That's more than double what the Gabriels were. Now, if Honda was able to show that the quality of OEM was double that of the Gabriels, I might understand. Of course, I've had the Gabriels for a barely 2 weeks so maybe I'll change my mind if one comes flying through the windshield.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts