Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any sites where I can download different voices for my Garmin Nuvi 1300T? I know the garmin site has a few, but I want to know if there are any alternate sites with downloads (free preferably).

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Anyone know of any sites where I can download different voices for my Garmin Nuvi 1300T? I know the garmin site has a few, but I want to know if there are any alternate sites with downloads (free preferably).
A google search for "download garmin nuvi voices free" brought 413,000 results. Allowing for google's duplication of results, you ought to find at least a couple dozen good ones in there.

Yes, the truth is out there...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried that. they are all pretty much crappy quality and are like $10 each.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
What about using your own voice?

Works with the following garmin gps units

• aera™ series
  • GPSMAP® 620 & 640
  • nüvi® 200-series
  • nüvi 205-series
  • nüvi 500-series
  • nüvi 700-series
  • nüvi 705-series
  • nüvi 800-series
  • nüvi 1200-series
  • nüvi 1300-series
  • nüvi 1400-series
  • nüvi 1600-series
  • nüvi 5000
  • zūmo® 660
Or play with the ones you already have...

TurboCCC

Works with:

• Nuvi 7x0, 255W, 260, 3x0, 6x0, 8x0, 1490
  • Nuvi 7x5, 255W, 265, 3x5, 6x5, 8x5
  • Zumo
  • 1350T, ...
  • StreetPilot C550, C580 and 2730.
  • StreetPilot C310, C340 and C510

:-D

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ah yes, but there's nothing like jacking the audio into the stereo and hearing "OMG! Yes, Yes, YES!!!" as you hang a left through a neighborhood.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I googled a bunch of sites and tried I dunno how many different voices before finally settling on the oem voices that came free from Garmin. The novelty is fun but after a while, I realized that it was more important to hear what was being said than to make it cutesy/sexy/funny/novel.

BTW, if you have a handheld GPS and don't want to pay for a road map, I did find a great site dedicated to freeware topo maps. I didn't know you could do such a thing but tried it on my old Garmin Venture HC. Decent maps.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/

·
Registered
717 Posts
I so want the Darth Vader voice they have for the Tom Tom. I wonder if I can ummm "borrow it" and play it in the Nuvii recorder app?

Also it might be creepy but funny to record my own voice distorted like a kidnapper. "If you want to see your family again, you will follow my directions exactly."

How many people like me play with the destination names when programming directions?

"Arriving at the end of your rope."
"Arriving at a greasy spoon joint."
"Arriving at the oldest house of mud."
"Arriving at ... What's that smell?"

Yeah, I'm a big kid at heart.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I did it!

I created a creepy distorted voice and put it on my Garmin NUVii.

Now, when I plug in a destination it says, "If you want to see your family again, you will follow my directions exactly."
Instead of "Recalculating" (which annoys me), It says, "You disappoint me, recalculating."

It was actually pretty easy but a bit time consuming.
You need a microphone, a computer, and about 1.5 hours to spare.

1. Install the free application called Audacity (Google it)
2. Google "Youtube Audacity Darth Vader" and follow the video instructions for recording your voice and changing it to Darth Vader-like. The only thing I changed was the Bass Boost setting frequency to 250 and boost to 5.
3. Install the Garmin Voice Studio Application (Google it to find it)
4. Record each word listed in the Garmin Voice Studio Application and save them as .wav files. You will end up with 65 wav files.
5. Choose file > import audio file and navigate to the wav files to import them one at a time.
6. Plug your Garmin into your computer and click the Send to GPS button
7. Set the GPS to your recorded voice.

The only drawback to using voice studio is that it does not read street names. It just says, "Turn left in X hundred feet." (for example)

It came out awesome. I wish I could attach a sound file here. Let me know if you are interested and I can email a sample to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts