Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a new Element and each of the two I have looked at have a clearance problem with the gas cap. If you open the cover the back side rubs the paint off from the edge of the rear panel. Is this a common problem? I unintentially pulled off a large piece of paint just looking inside the gas cap cover at a local dealer. It's a cosmetic issue, but if it's common I think Honda should address it. Any thoughts or experience?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Really? If I remember correctly, there's space between my cap and the cover.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Roubaixrider, I had the same problem when I went to get gas for the first time in my E. The gas door was rubbing the panel a bit when I opened and closed it. After closer inspection I saw that the gas door was not align properly. It looked like it was pushed in. To fix it you can take it to the dealership or do the following:
1) open gas cap door and loosen(do not remove) the nut holding the door in place
2) re-position the door by pulling it outward away from body and tighten nut
3) close gas cap door to check for proper alignment and clearance (on 4 sides) with the rear panel.
4) repeat steps 1-3 until the door aligns properly
If your at the dealership, point this out so they can fix it before you take possession.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
So there are no rubber feet that go on the gas door legs?
No rubber feet.

I just had one of our members do the same thing I did. Bend it to fit the hole. Works like a charm in less than 2 seconds. No tools required!

Disclaimer :: Don't have Big Al do it for you. Don't act like King Kong on a rampage wile making the adjustment. Use common sense when attempting to bend the soft thin sheet metal that IS the door hanger. Make several small adjustments rather than one large one.

Dom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts