Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
324 Posts
Does it only leak while actually filling? Or also with a full tank? First place I would check are the hose sections between the filler and vent pipe and the tank (items 21 and 24). Maybe a rusted fill pipe (item 25)? You're going to need to get underneath while filling (use a can) to see where it is coming from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Discovered the leak when getting a fill and did not fill all the way. This diagram will help me diagnose. Found some internet references about rodents chewing on (what I now know to be, thanks to the illustration) the 21 / 24 plastic sections and a "spiced" tape Honda sells to prevent that. Do those sections have specific names I would need to know if I want to ask for them?

·
Registered
324 Posts
The diagram is from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com; you can find names and part numbers there. The site is mostly intuitive. After selecting the vehicle, go the section that includes "electrical/fuel", then fuel pipes or fuel tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much and God Bless You. This will be a great help for diagnosing and getting parts. I filled it 3/4 full and it only leaked when filling and I don't smell fuel otherwise. Now all I need to do is get a helper to pour in fuel while I watch for the leak.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Do you live in the snow belt? I know the Subarus in snow country have rust out issues because the cover(#27) for the fill tube gets packed with slush from wheel, and of course the warm fuel makes the steel fill tube, rust out even faster. Keep us posted to outcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in NJ. Am 79 yrs old and don't drive when roads are snowy. No sign of rust on filler pipe itself. will eventually get someone to assist with filling from a can so I can locate the leak. I'm never known for speed but get there after a while. First asked dealer how much to change that little piece of flexible pipe. I think one or both of us were confused as he quoted $345.00. I am guessing he thought I meant the whole filler pipe system.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I haven't looked underneath mine to see how accessible those flexible sections are - might be pain to get to because appears to go into the top of the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took a quick look and it looks accessible. Won't know until I try reaching the tank side clamp. Also, I realized I need only fill up the tank till it backs up in the filler pipe to locate the leak

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had a similar issue....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts