Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my wife came home today and said that during the drive home that she smelled gas fumes coming from the vents into the car. It wasn't like that yesterday or this morning and just started this evening. The smell of the fumes seemed to be related to the speed at which she was traveling and she also said that it looked like the gas gauge was decreasing as well.

It is a 2003 Element EX AWD. If there is anything I need to put up to help let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I would be more inclined to believe the vehicle in front of her was possibly leaking gas, and it sprayed onto the front of her E.

It doesn't make sense to me that it would be coming from your E, as the air intakes are in the front, and anything that could leak is behind the intakes...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had this problem once before and never figured it out. It would happen when I would start the car and I cant really remember but maybe also when I would accelerate. The things that I changed right before it happened was I had taken it to a oil can henrys and I am sure they put conventional 10w30 in. I left it like that for about a month untill the bad loud idle at startup (in winter) and bad gas milage bothered me enough to change back to 5w20. When I changed the oil I also put in a can of fuel system cleaner just incase that was my problem with the bad gas milage. I did both and the car stated running a lot better but I could smell gas for a few tank fulls. I never really found out if it was the fuel system cleaner, or that the injectors had to learn that they dident have to flood the cylenders with gas on startup with the thinner oil? Have you done either of these recently? FYI never go to a quick change shop where they pump the oil out of hoses that says 5w20, 5w30 ect. Its almost always 10w30 or 20w50 because that can be bought cheap.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had it, too...but mine didn't smell like raw gas, it smelled more like exhaust.

Never really figured out what it was. No oil leak (a suggested item to check from a forum member).

I had it after I changed my CAT...but I'd driven far too many miles for burn-in to be the issue. I also got the mechanic that put on the CAT to double check it for leaks.

It just stopped on its own.

I THINK getting behind something nasty put a batch of odor in my cabin filter. I could only smell it if I turned on the fan.

(I kept procrastinating getting the cabin filter until my next batch of parts, so I hadn't changed it yet when the smell went away....)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies, I know that this one is really late... I took it in to a mechanic that I trust and just like T.V. said it was the vehicle in front of her that was giving off the fumes. Enough that it stayed in the ventilation system for a while. It was at night and she couldn't see any smoke from the vehicle but there you have it. Thanks again for the help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts