Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first off I just wanted to say that this board is a lifesaver. I am currently deployed to Iraq with the 3rd Infantry Division (Mech), and I just reserved my new E. I decided to go with it after doing all the research online, with frequent stops to this board. The only question I have is what type of gas does the E take (regular, mid-grade or premium)? And has anybody had any problems with knocking or underperformance with a specific brand or grade gas?

·
Premium Member
2003 2WD MT GG, 55K as of 3/20(!), It’s a Fun Box
277 Posts
Takes regular. Honda owner-link site specifically states that there is no reason to use a higher grade.

·
Registered
352 Posts
IraqE keep your head up and tail down. We all want you back so you can enjoy your E. Good Luck soldier!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Regular of course because itsa Honda but they said when towing use better (not sure if it is premium or the one in between :oops: )

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Yeppers......regular unleaded....slaesman even said so.....it's a honda so it is built for plain vanilla.....gotta love a car like that :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
[quote:ec14a51e9a="IraqE"]Hi all, first off I just wanted to say that this board is a lifesaver. I am currently deployed to Iraq with the 3rd Infantry Division (Mech), and I just reserved my new E. I decided to go with it after doing all the research online, with frequent stops to this board. The only question I have is what type of gas does the E take (regular, mid-grade or premium)? And has anybody had any problems with knocking or underperformance with a specific brand or grade gas?[/quote:ec14a51e9a]

Everyone seems to concur: it's regular gas.

Now that we have that out of the way, please let me give you a warm welcome to this board, soldier. I hope your service in Iraq will be over soon so you can be home enjoying your Element.

Did you have a chance to test drive an E? What color and model did you pick? Any options? What do you plan to do with your E - camp, travel, commute?

All the best to you. Be careful, okay? :::big hug:::

:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote:685b524f2f="TheLusciousHellcat"]

Everyone seems to concur: it's regular gas.

Now that we have that out of the way, please let me give you a warm welcome to this board, soldier. I hope your service in Iraq will be over soon so you can be home enjoying your Element.

Did you have a chance to test drive an E? What color and model did you pick? Any options? What do you plan to do with your E - camp, travel, commute?

All the best to you. Be careful, okay? :::big hug:::

[/quote:685b524f2f]

Actually I didn't get the chance to test drive the E, I deployed to Kuwait before it came out. But I have been pretty lucky, and have had an internet connection for most of the time leading up to the war, and was able to do a lot of research on different SUV's. I settled on the E after comming to this and a few other websites. No other SUV's owners were so passionate about their cars, that plus all the glowing reviews make me think that the E is for me. I just ordered the 2wd in Silver, I want to thank Don and the rest of the guys at Hilton Head Honda, for the great deal, and for thowing in the keyless entry, and seat covers for me. I can't wait to get back to the states and pick it up, 35 days and counting. 8)

·
Registered
183 Posts
does that mean today is 34days and counting

(i think i might do this everyday so it becomes more popular :wink: :shock: :D 8) :lol: :eek: :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote:775de9c33b="ande713"]does that mean today is 34days and counting

(i think i might do this everyday so it becomes more popular :wink: :shock: :D 8) :lol: :eek: :)[/quote:775de9c33b]

It's more like 33 days now :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Talk to dealer about this very subject...It seems that alot of older cars are failing pollution tests in alot of places..He said! Reg will not have the cleaning ability of Super!There will be more carbon buildup in engine and cat- converter..He did not say you had to use .but if you can afford it go ahead.I know from having 8 cars that mpg and pick-up improves..

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Unless your car requires a higher octane fuel, you're pissing your money away. E's require regular, 86 or 87 octane fuel due to the engine design. Octane rating has nothing to do with how "clean" the gas is. Older cars are failing emissions, because they're "older" and people typically don't take very good care of their vehicles in this country IMHO.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The gas issue isn't one of opinion. The compression ratio and timing determine what grade of gas is needed to prevent engine knock. Its testable, repeatable, and quatifiable.
The dealer mentioned above is just a victem of good marketing by Chevron.

·
Registered
247 Posts
You're preaching to the choir! :)

OTOH, ... I'm sure that regardless of the testability, repeatability, and quantifiablity of the issue, there are going to be those folks who will continue to pump Super Unleaded into their 'E' because that's what they've always done with their cars, and telling them otherwise is pointless! :roll:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Personally I use high test, reason is that I work in CT and see the prices at $1.75 for regular and in MA where I live I can buy it for $1.59 and that's SUPER 93 octane.......so call it a waste of money but if my habit is the reason why all my last 3 Hondas lasted me over 200,000 miles....well I'll keep doing it.....besides I've yet to hear it knock or pin when I'm going uphill in 5th gear.... :wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Somebody said "the salesman even said so". NEVER, under any circumstances, believe what the salesman says. My sales lady was nice and all, but she didn't know anything about the car. I prolly knew more about it than all their sales ppl combined. They just wanna sell it, whatever it takes, so of course they'll say "Yeah it takes the cheaper kind".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Changing the octane of the gas changes the ignition timing a little. With higher octanes the spark sets off the fuel mixture a little earlier. The Element's timing is set for regular gasoline.

I have read that you can use premium gas and change the timing for a little better performance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts