Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought Tripletred Fortera Goodyear 225/70/16R Tires and I noticed my RPM go up to 3 to 3.5 when at 70 to 85mph on highway. Does additional/over sized tires affect MPG big time? To me it is... Ate my Element gas up that fast...
Or is it just from suv accident that messed something up in Engine or Transmission huh? Please holler out and share your opinions.

Thank you for your time!

·
12,180 Posts
A larger tire will throw off your speedo.You are showing that you are only doing 70 but you will actually be going slighly faster depending on the overall diameter change from the stock tire size.A gps unit will back up my comments.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm confused.

Did your rpm increase for any given road speed?

If so, the only reason would be that the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combination decreased - smaller (diameter) tires spin faster.

That said, a small increase in rpm might not make much of a difference in mileage - slower-turning is not always more efficient.

And smaller wheels would also throw off your speedometer and odometer - though as I think of it now, a faster-turning speedometer would fool you into thinking you were going faster than your actual speed, and a faster-turning odometer would fool you into thinking you were going farther than you really were.

Right?

Anyway, if you have a GPS you might want to check how far and how fast you're really going with the new wheel - unless I'm completely missing something.

edited to add: looks like lizzurd and I were thinking/composing at the same time - sorry for the duplication.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts