Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya. I got a 2007 EX AWD AT a month or so ago (couldn't find MT or 2WD in real time, two things I had hoped for to increase mpg). It appeared very gently used, 27K miles, Honda certified, so as far as I know it needs no maintenance whatsoever at this point.

Getting 20 mpg. I know gas mileage for E's is awful, but thought I'd get more like 25-ish with a fair amount of highway driving. Am I wrong about that? 20 mpg means filling up the tank every time I turn around. My neighbor gets 29mpg with his 2005 2WD.

Thanks for any insights.

JJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gas mileage depends on a bunch of factors. There are lots of threads about it. It can be affected by your choice in oil, how you drive, how fast you accelerate, how fast you cruise on the highway, the time of year, the weather, your tires, how much weight you're carrying. You'll get better mileage with synthetic oil, if you use the cruise control and keep it to the speed limit, if you accelerate gently and aim to keep the rpms under 2k, if you take the rear seats out unless you need them, if you keep your tires properly or even slightly over-inflated. In Wisconsin they have a "winter" gas formulation that decreases mileage. I generally get 23 to 26 in the summer/fall and now it's dropped to around 21-22. I've got synthetic oil, use the cruise control, don't speed, blah blah blah. Doing those things will help some but don't expect to get over 25 except in ideal conditions (and there are those who believe that 25+ is a myth perpetuated by those of us who can't use a calculator). AWD will affect your mileage, but probably no more than 10% over FWD. From what I've seen, the MT doesn't really out perform the AT as far as mileage is concerned, but that's just an impression I have and not based on any hard data. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Everybody's gas mileage is **** right now. My E, which normally gets me 24-26 city and 25-29 highway, on the last tank of gas got 20.98 mpg. It is literally the single worst tank's mileage I've ever had with the E.

And it's not just Elements. My boyfriend's Neon, which was getting 34-36 highway this summer, got 27 highway on his way back to Chicago yesterday.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got a new Element, and haven't driven that much (Still under 1K).

I've been getting 17ish, but have read that this might be normal for a new one during break in period.

Anyway, I've been monitoring MPG, and will continue to.

I've signed up for the free Fuelly, and it has a Webapp for the iPhone that will allow me to view my MPG Progress online.
Check out my signature for my personal MPG.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Fuelly.com

It looks like out of the 120 Elements registered on Fuelly.com -the Sweet Spot is 22MPG.

That is something for me to shoot for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Twenty?

Twenty mpg is not too bad for around town driving.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry everybody, for taking so long to thank you. I initially posted this in the wrong section and didn't realize it got moved here until today.

I'm still getting only 20, even with a good deal of highway in the mix. Not good. Never expected great with the E, but had hoped to achieve the estimate for the car.

JJ

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD
2,821 Posts
try some good fuel conditioner treatment like lucas.
Don't forget to include its volume when calculating your "improved" mpg. :razz:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Don't forget to include its volume when calculating your "improved" mpg. :razz:
The little bit of fuel system cleaner, as long as you're using most of the tank of gas, is statistically not significant to the mileage calculation (might throw it off by 1/10th of a mpg at most).

What IS statistically significant is that for the one tank with the cleaner in the gas, your mileage will look really good. Then, once the cleaner's all gone, it'll likely drop back to where it was before.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes jjthink I hear ya. It's understandable that it's a box with no aerodynamics and it weighs quite a bit. It's understandable that 20 mpg is better than many vehicles on the road today. What is frustrating is knowing that other Elements are getting better mileage - including 4WD/automatic models. It's amazing how much mileage can vary with identical vehicles. As stated there's lots of variables.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got a new Element, and haven't driven that much (Still under 1K).

I've been getting 17ish, but have read that this might be normal for a new one during break in period.

Anyway, I've been monitoring MPG, and will continue to.

I've signed up for the free Fuelly, and it has a Webapp for the iPhone that will allow me to view my MPG Progress online.
Check out my signature for my personal MPG.
There is one that is like my case. I have a little over 250 miles and it looks like 15-16 miles to the gallon driving as conservatively as safe. Quite a contrast to the 23 i got on my 2003 manual Element LX.

·
Registered
120 Posts
There is one that is like my case. I have a little over 250 miles and it looks like 15-16 miles to the gallon driving as conservatively as safe. Quite a contrast to the 23 i got on my 2003 manual Element LX.
I'm only averaging 17.7 MPG.
This better get better!
I drive very conservatively as well.

I recently went back to work, and bought the Element for my daily driver.
I might drive my 2007 Crown Vic as my daily driver, but I really wanted to keep the mileage low on the Crown Vic. I'll make my decision after 5k if the miles don't improve.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm only averaging 17.7 MPG.
This better get better!
I drive very conservatively as well.

I recently went back to work, and bought the Element for my daily driver.
I might drive my 2007 Crown Vic as my daily driver, but I really wanted to keep the mileage low on the Crown Vic. I'll make my decision after 5k if the miles don't improve.
I am hoping that it is just the break in period because like i posted before, my earlier Element was getting in the 20s. I couldn't believe the gas meter was just above half full after driving less than 80 miles from a fill up.

Edit-I feel like if i was racing around late for work my mileage would be down to 12mpg.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I've got about 9,000 miles on mine. We live out in the country but go into town often. I usually check every tank and the worst I have gotten is a little over 23 mpg per tank and the best has been 27.8.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've got about 9,000 miles on mine. We live out in the country but go into town often. I usually check every tank and the worst I have gotten is a little over 23 mpg per tank and the best has been 27.8.
13,023 on my 4 month old 2009 E...kept accuarte records on mpg....for the 13,000 + miles I got 26.8...I drive mostly hwy ( 50 mi daily to work and back on rural roads ) and 3 long trips so far ( avg 800 mile trips )......I drive fast ( 5 over the limit ) use gas WITHOUT ethenol most of the time ( available locally only, can't find on trips ) and run Nitrogen in my tires. I try to stay around 2000-2500 rpm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts