Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some of these same issues with my 03 Element for the past year and car is again at the mechanic. Sometimes my Element will not start on first try, then when it does I have no gauges, a/c blows but hot. When I turn the auto off the green key light stays on and a clicking noise from the glove compartment continues. Sometimes the clicking stops but I have had other times it continues and then have a dead battery the next day. There have been times that while I am driving everything comes back on. I have already had a new computer put in and it is doing the same thing. I do home health therapy and can not be stranded. Have you been able to get your Element fixed and if so, what was the problem? I took it to my mechanic yesterday and they did a scan on it but said they did not have time to look at it so when they started it up so I could drive home, everything was working again. This is very frustrating because no one seems to know what is wrong with it and can not find the problem when gauges are back on as it seems to be an intermittent issue but can last for days at a time. HELP!!!

·
Registered
859 Posts
About 2 years ago I've read a thread on here about people having the same issues. From what I remember it turned out to be the cluster itself causing problems with immobilizer. The plugs in the back of the cluster did not have good connection.

It is simple to remove the cluster and recheck the connections/wiggle them to see if that helps. Alternatively, find a friend with a 03-06 Element and swap clusters to just to check. If it is the cluster buy a used one on eBay with similar mileage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HELP!!! I have read another post on here regarding the same issues but there was no definite answer. For the past year my 03 EX AWD Element has intermittently been not starting on first, second try and then does start. I then have no dashboard gauges, a/c works but blows hot air, as well as, the brake light on dash is constantly on. When I shut it off, the green key light continues to flash with a clicking noise constantly going off behind the glove compartment. Sometimes this will stop and other times it stays on then drains the battery. A few times, the gauges and a/c start to work while driving but most times not. I had to jump it yesterday and took it down to my mechanic, again, no gauges, no cold a/c. It had been 4 consecutive days this was happening. They did a computer scan on it and said it was some type of communication problem with the computer (which by the way I just paid 1000.00 a month ago to replace the computer, for another reason) but they were unable to look into it any further as too busy. When they drove it out so I could go home, everything was working just fine. I am so frustrated regarding this as they can not track the problem down unless it is acting up. I am so afraid of being stranded and do not know what to do. Has anyone else had any issues like this with their Element? I love this vehicle but do not want it to become a money pit. HELP!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Next time this acts up smack the top of the dash right above the gauges hard! see if that wakes it up. If that works report back to this tread for the next step. This is just my best guess based on my wife's E doing the same thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
try replacing the pcm relay. it is number 9 in the attached picture
39794-s5a-901 msrp $25.15
or this relay 39794-s0k-a01 which is not the relay listed for this car but msrp is $7.17 and is likely in stock at your local honda dealer and will work.

this relay is located behind the glove box and since you have a clicking noise and a power drain problem . i would think it is a relay getting stuck. this is the pcm relay so the immobilizer (green key light) would flash if bad.

I would get the cheaper relay and just use it as a diagnostic tool and see if it fixes your problem. it is cheap and not hard to install.

let us know if this works...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Next time this acts up smack the top of the dash right above the gauges hard! see if that wakes it up. If that works report back to this tread for the next step. This is just my best guess based on my wife's E doing the same thing.
Does anyone know know the “next step” referred to above? I just found this response and it describes my issue exactly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a very old thread, but I hope by some miracle you still receive emails about it because you’ve described my problem EXACTLY, and I’m dying to know what the next step is that you’re referring to! Any help!?

·
Registered
2004 Fiji LX Ecamper “Ellie,” 2008 Atomic EX “Otherment,” 2003 Eternal EX Chop Top “Chop_E”
324 Posts
The connectors on the rear of the gauge cluster are have poor contact. Some people shim the connector in question to improve contact. Others replace the cluster. Very common problem. Chop_E has this issue but I haven’t bothered to fix it yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is a very old thread, but I hope by some miracle you still receive emails about it because you’ve described my problem EXACTLY, and I’m dying to know what the next step is that you’re referring to! Any help!?
Hey man the same thing is happening to me right now? Have you figured it out? Much appricated!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts