Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this had already been discussed. I have two general maintenance questions. I know this is already in the owner's manual, but I'd like to hear from the REAL people who have owned and experienced the E over the years.

1) Should I fill up with the recommended regular unleaded gas (87 octane) or use premium instead (93)? I've always used premium but was told it was unnecessary unless specified.

2) When it's time for my oil change, should I just get a regular blended oil or should I use a synthetic (like Mobil 1)?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Apologies if this had already been discussed. I have two general maintenance questions. I know this is already in the owner's manual, but I'd like to hear from the REAL people who have owned and experienced the E over the years.

1) Should I fill up with the recommended regular unleaded gas (87 octane) or use premium instead (93)? I've always used premium but was told it was unnecessary unless specified.

2) When it's time for my oil change, should I just get a regular blended oil or should I use a synthetic (like Mobil 1)?
Use the octane specified for the car. Buying higher octane fuel gives you nothing good and can actually make the engine run hotter inside.

Use a good quality oil of whatever type you like best. Regular blended oil serves just as well for general use, assuming you keep up to the oil change schedules. Where a synthetic shines is the extreme areas where regular oil breaks down, such as high or low temperatures and providing extra protection during those first moments when the engine is starting but there's no oil pressure yet. Use a good quality filter (apparently the honda filter really -is- better) If this is your first oil change, you might want to stick with regular oil this time since engine wear (and break in) virtually stops once you switch to the Mobil 1 oil.

If you have a lot of really cold temperature starting, a synthetic like Mobil 1 really DOES make a difference since it doesn't thicken like old fashioned oils. If you do a lot of high temperature driving or towing, Mobil 1 holds up to higher temps too. One thing I can say about Mobil 1 is that I've run a few engines on it long term (at least 100k miles each) and after tearing them down, the difference inside is easy to see. I use it in all my engines now.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
... ditto the above. And the guy that drove a SAAB over 1 million miles with just routine maintenance - Mobil-1 ever 7K miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts