Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well instead of exhuming my Intro thread with updates for the Element, I thought I would make my own showcase thread here.

This isn't really an update or anything, but more or less to give you guys a sneak peek at what I was looking into for the Element tonight...drum roll please......

THE STEALTH TOASTER REALTIME 4WD CONVERSION!!!!!

Haha yes, in my boredom last night, I decided to look for parts and price out the conversion on my Element. I found all the major components on www.car-part.com and one yard has all the parts for a 2004 4WD EX AT Element.

My Excel spreadsheet is currently at $3,842.00 with the good old government included in that:

ELEMENT AWD CONVERSION PARTS AND PRICE LIST

Part Price

Transmission $1,700.00
Transfer case $350.00
Propeller shaft $225.00
Rear differential $600.00
Half-shaft $125.00
LF CV shaft $75.00
RF CV shaft $75.00
LR CV shaft $125.00
RR CV shaft $125.00

Sub-total: $3,400.00

Total with tax: $3,842.00 CDN

I have the major components covered so far and they all come from the same yard (I'm assuming they have/had a wrecked one) and the incidentals like bolts, nuts, brackets, etc I can get from work for free or for a really cheap price.

Only hiccup I think is going to be the hanger bearing support which the 2WD models do not come with from the factory. I know Honda does offer unibody components for individual sale (body shops order from us all the time) so I'm going to see if the support is available separately and if so, I'll check with the body shop my work deals with and see if they can laser align it and weld it on the same as if they were doing a collision repair. Worst case scenario, a custom metal fab place opened up down the street so I'll talk with them and see if I can have something made up from aluminum that will work in lieu of a hanger bearing support. I'm thinking something along the lines of a plate with supports that spans across the propeller shaft tunnel which the hanger bearing will bolt to.

I'm actually pretty stoked about the idea. To be honest, if I had ALL of the components necessary to make it work and assuming there was an appropriate hanger bearing support in place (either a welded-in OEM piece or custom), I'm guessing I could finish this in a Saturday doing all the work at the shop in my bay. Yes it's a very realistic and doable coversion (same as how the factory would do it) and while it is something that's not going to happen anytime in the next year or two (I still have 3.5 yrs left to pay on the Element LOL), it is a little project I have my mind set on completing myself. I like having projects with my vehicles, even if it takes me 5-10 years to complete them :D

All things being well and good, I'm aiming to have the Element converted before it is paid off. Well that is under the condition I have not financial hardships between now and then of course LOL. And fear not my friends, when I do get the chance to start it, I will make every effort to document it in the same meticulous manner as I did my flashing sidemarker modification :D.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And yes I know people are going to say WHY NOT GET A USED 4WD MODEL?

Answer: It wouldn't be cheaper for me when you factor in the followiing:

- I'm still making payments on it for another 3.5yrs
- Bought and installed $700 worth of almost-new General Grabber AT-2's last fall
- Bought and installed the OEM splashguards
- Bought and installed the OEM all-weather mats
- Installed the OEM cargo tray (this was a take-off item from a sold used Element that the customer didn't want, but it would cost a lot to replace it)
- Bought and installed the OEM NBP painted spoiler
- Bought and installed various other aesthetic and sentimental goodies
- last but not least...$500 worth of new freakin timing chain parts when mine went for a **** :-x

The chances of me finding another NBP Element for the same or cheaper price with the same low kilometers that contains all of the above in the same EX 4WD trim level would be next to impossible.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you do all the work the project would be better then sourcing another e with awd.:D
Oh yes I would be doing everything myself. The welding in of the hanger bearing support to the underbody I would leave to the more experienced guys at the body shop our dealership does business with.

I figure the transmission will probably be in the neighborhood of four hours in and out since I've never had one out of an Element or any K-series engine vehicle in general which requires the subframe to come down to do it. The rear differential will be fairly simple to mount up and the only real work to get it going will be setting up the rear knuckles to accept the CV shafts, then mounting and routing the differential breather tubing and filter. Propeller shaft is a snap to take out and put in.

This is all assuming there's no hiccups or anchors along the way, not to mention I'd be doing it all on the hoist at work in my bay with all the necessary special tools and a shop air compressor :D.

LOL I had better stop talking about it because I just want to do it right now so bad. I've also been looking at Acura CL Type-S swaps for my '95 Civic online and the wheels are turning for that as well :lol:.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL I guess since this is my showcase thread I should post some pics of the Element eh? :lol:

They are in somewhat chronological order starting with the day I purchased it to pretty much how it looks now.

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Some more.

First one is my daughter Adia standing with the Element, second one was taken at Point Pelee after a day of biking and sight seeing, third one is during the Thames River Flood this past winter, and last one was from biking this summer at Fanshawe Lake Trail.

I guess too I should tell you a bit about the Element LOL. It is a 2004 EX 2WD AT with all the trimmings. I purchased it used in July of 2008 for $12,900 with 105,000kms on it. Other than a timing chain issue and changing out all the fluids when I bought it, it has been a great vehicle thus far and at the moment, I have experience zero problems with it aside from a noisy drive belt auto tensioner which is starting to make some noise (I'll wait until it's really bad before I change it LOL).

Here's the items I have on the Element thus far:

• DIY sand-blasted and matte black painted OEM alloy wheels
  • General Grabber AT-2 tires, stock 215/70/R16 size
  • Honda trailer hitch w/ Honda harness
  • Honda all-weather mats
  • Honda all-weather rear cargo tray
  • Honda splash guards
  • Honda interior privacy curtain
  • Honda NBP-painted spoiler
  • Honda fog lamps
  • Flashing OEM sidemarker modification (click for info on my own modification steps)
  • Swagman dual bike hitch rack
  • PIAA Super Plasma GT-X headlight bulbs
  • PIAA Plasma Yellow fog light bulbs
  • DC, EOC, Ron Jon Surf Shop, SROM, Apple, HIGHFIVE decals on back glass

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
congrats.....now u have a AWD wannabe
I've already thought about that and I'm going to get the OEM REALTIME 4WD decal from work but having the local graphic shop make up a decal that says CONVERSION in the same size and font as the OEM REALTIME 4WD decal :).

Haha I'll have to get a power sunroof put in the back as well (with switches for both front driver and rear passenger control of course) so I can really confuse the 4WD owners when they see it :D

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hahaha u want some transit reflective decals too?
Thanks hapy but I'd like to keep the Element as OEM-ish as possible, hence why I'd like the REALTIME 4WD CONVERSION decal to look as if Honda made it for me :).

If I went so far as to make my flashing sidemarker modification OEM-style, I can't do things any other way :lol:

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
or the little police light in front....remember??? hahahahahahahaha

btw i am at 18500 miles, almost putting 1000 miles per week...so very soon we shall convene..... last change was at 16000+ miles (under 10%)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
or the little police light in front....remember??? hahahahahahahaha

btw i am at 18500 miles, almost putting 1000 miles per week...so very soon we shall convene..... last change was at 16000+ miles (under 10%)
Police light? LOL now I'm confused :lol:.

And sure, just let me know when you're coming in and be sure to specify with the girls that you would like myself and myself only to work on your Element.

Probably once they hear you have an Element, they'd automatically assume it to me anyways, because when Elements come into the shop if all of us are free I'm usually the one who gets them :D.

P.S. I'm not a fan of the maintenance minder system because it goes by kms travelled and engine conditions, not by time. For you it works well because you drive a lot but for me it would suck because I could go a year or more easily and probably only do two oil changes and one service if I'm lucky (bought my Element new in July '08 with 105,4xx kms on it and I have a bit less than 127,xxx now. I would probably only get two oil changes and a service in that time, but I like to change my oil every 5000kms/3 months, whichever comes first)

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
synthetic oil + S2000 filter.... hee hee i can do it once every 5000 miles / 8000 km..... btw do i have to buy my own stuff for the maintenance or u can get me items there (u know what i mean)

as for the light mod.... here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOnxpr_7hio

recall?
Ahhhhhhh yes I remember now.

Highly illegal and Kit can get into some real hot water for it, especially if he uses it while driving and cars pull over or stop for him :confused:.

And yes we have the Honda synthetic 5W20 at my work as well as the S2000 filters. I did some reading and decided to give the Honda synthetic oil a run for a bit because with the frequency which I change my oil (every 5000kms/3 month) it probably isn't going to matter much between Mobil 1 or the Honda synthetic. Acura has a synthetic 5W30 now as well for the RDX Turbo.

Also, make sure you keep on top of your oil changes. The tensioner and VTC system in your Element's engine don't like dirty oil and Honda is attributing stretched chains to dirty oil causing the timing chain auto-tensioner to malfunction and result in "chain stretch".

I think my Element was the vicitim of this and was why I had to replace my chain a month after I purchased mine.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
i haven't gotten pulled over yet because of that...

i only used it like twice ever since i put it in... LOL

as for the conversion, good luck on it. take some more photos of it and post up the progress.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Ahhhhhhh yes I remember now.

Highly illegal and Kit can get into some real hot water for it, especially if he uses it while driving and cars pull over or stop for him :confused:.

And yes we have the Honda synthetic 5W20 at my work as well as the S2000 filters. I did some reading and decided to give the Honda synthetic oil a run for a bit because with the frequency which I change my oil (every 5000kms/3 month) it probably isn't going to matter much between Mobil 1 or the Honda synthetic. Acura has a synthetic 5W30 now as well for the RDX Turbo.

Also, make sure you keep on top of your oil changes. The tensioner and VTC system in your Element's engine don't like dirty oil and Honda is attributing stretched chains to dirty oil causing the timing chain auto-tensioner to malfunction and result in "chain stretch".

I think my Element was the vicitim of this and was why I had to replace my chain a month after I purchased mine.
too technical for me to understand....but with u and lizzurd's help i am sure my car would be kept in good condition

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i haven't gotten pulled over yet because of that...

i only used it like twice ever since i put it in... LOL

as for the conversion, good luck on it. take some more photos of it and post up the progress.
Just don't let a cop see you driving with that on because you might find yourself paying an additional $110 for that strobe light Kit.

And yes I will document it for sure. I wish I had the money to do it now because I'm getting myself stoked to do it :rolleyes:.

too technical for me to understand....but with u and lizzurd's help i am sure my car would be kept in good condition
You are in good hands for sure with Adrian and I hapy :D.

I'm still a newbie tech so he likely knows far more than I do. But I'm learning as much as I can as quickly as I can :).

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
and with my help also :D

Just don't let a cop see you driving with that on because you might find yourself paying an additional $110 for that strobe light Kit.

And yes I will document it for sure. I wish I had the money to do it now because I'm getting myself stoked to do it :rolleyes:.

You are in good hands for sure with Adrian and I hapy :D.

I'm still a newbie tech so he likely knows far more than I do. But I'm learning as much as I can as quickly as I can :).
steve, i'm planning for a K20A/A2 head on my E.... any heads up before throwing it in? i know i'll have to retime the chain and will be a POS in the process, but all for good power...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

steve, i'm planning for a K20A/A2 head on my E.... any heads up before throwing it in? i know i'll have to retime the chain and will be a POS in the process, but all for good power...
I haven't looked into the head swaps yet for the K engines. I'd check www.K20.org for the info because I'm sure there's something there about it there.

Once I went to Honda School, I had to focus on learning about cars on a general level, so unless it has to do with pre-2000 vehicles, I'm out of the loop now :lol:.

Maybe one day when I have the time and money to finish building my Civic I'll be able to wrap my head around more recent performance knowledge and enter the builder's realm again :D

·
12,180 Posts

I may be wrong here....But i recall something about needing K-Pro if you do a headswap. And k-pro only works with a manual trans vehicle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts