Honda Element Owners Club banner

Generic engine coolants

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  ApriliaGuy 
#1 ·
Just wondering if someone could tell me, recently had our E in the dealership for some checks and was notified by the serviceman that if we ever needed to add coolant we should ONLY use Honda premixed 50/50 coolant. Does anyone know if this is a selling gimic trying to lure us in to buying only Honda approved items, or does Honda's products outlast others? They wanted $30. CDN for a jug of this stuff. Meanwhile, I found the same bottle at Walmart, a Prestone brand, 50/50 mixture for $10. CDN. Any ideas??

#3 ·
To each his own ... personally, I don't see the difference. Transmission fluid, differential fluid, clutch fluid, power steering I would be more prone to keep Honda brand. But coolant, oil and brake fluid are changed out often enough on my watch so I don't worry. Elements aren't luxury or exotic cars..

#4 ·
How do you come to the conclusion Honda is the same as Prestone coolant? One is green, the other is blue, definitely not the same. Do what you want with you car, but the manual does state to use their coolant. From what I have read, you need a certain silicate-free coolant for the Aluminum Honda Engine. Not all coolants are equal, and a repair can be very costly, much more than $20.

#6 ·
matilda,

If I were you I would stick with the Honda coolant. I agree it costs a bit more but it is specially formulated for the alloy engine. Automatic Transmission fluid is another not to compromise on. It frosts me to have to pay almost nine bucks a quart at the dealer for it but it is the only stuff I trust going into the transmission. The engine and transmission are very expensive components so using the correct fluids are the right way to go for piece of mind.

#7 ·
DERAIL alert

Automatic Transmission fluid is another not to compromise on. It frosts me to have to pay almost nine bucks a quart at the dealer for it but it is the only stuff I trust going into the transmission.
Sorry to get of topic, but I see stuff like this all the time. My local dealer charges $7.07/qt. It shows $7.07 as beeing list price too. Good ATF from the local auto parts place is $5.95. I don't mind spending an extra $4 every 30k miles as cheap insurance against trans problems.

Back on topic:

if we ever needed to add coolant we should ONLY use Honda premixed 50/50 coolant.
Yup..like they say, stick w/ the Honda brand stuff if you're adding or "topping off" the coolant. You want to avoid mixing brands and/or types.

If you're doing a complete drain and refill you can switch brands if you prefer.

Good luck.

Will

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.