Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals,

I just go me a set of Geolanders based on treads from the EOC. I up sized to 225/70-16. For those of you who have this same tire - how do you like it?

I've noticed that I get some noticeable (to me) vibration, not only in the steering wheel but also in the vehicle itself (like if I rest my hand on the door). Has anyone else had this happen? How do I fix this? Is this just a balancing issue and I need to take them back to Discount Tire? Or is this something inherent with the tire (harder compound and the like)?

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I had Geolanders like you have, I now have a different set of tires but when I had the Geolanders I did notice some vibration as they got older.

I would go back to the shop if you are not satisfied and ask if they can work any balance issues out.

Did your old tires have any unusual wear patterns? Maybe your alignment is off just a touch? Causing a small vibration?

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Yes, I would take them back for a re-balance as well. Sometimes new tires shift on the wheels when they are first mounted and this can cause the balance to be off. Your Discount Tire store should be happy to help you. Thank you for your support. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Geolanders from Discount Tire

I just bought some Geolander tires from, guess where, Discount Tire, too! They seem quieter and my Trip-E seems to drive and ride better. I say "seems" because I'm not sure it's just my imagination because I have new tires. My Goodyears only had around 12,000K on them. So far-I've only put about 50 miles on them-I haven't noticed any vibration and I had them on the highway. Will keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not happy w/Geolanders

I have not been happy with the Geolanders. They were a well rated tire when I decided to purchase. However, I should have done more home work regarding my particular needs. First off I need to say that I have a manual transmission which is a different set of factors from the ATs. What i can imagine as common between the two transmissions is that they sway on corners and are so-so on wet pavement. My no.1 problem is that with my manual they have terrible traction. We're not talking a big HP hot rod here, and given that they should have something better in the way of traction. I have had to learn to drive the car based on their issues. The tires now have about 15,000 miles of frustration on them. It's time they go. Thank for letting me vent. B~

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
The Geolandar H-T/S has a more aggressive tread than the OEM Goodyear, but they shouldn't be noticeably or objectionably nosier once they have been run in. New tires may magnify an existing suspension problem.

There are some things that are the responsibility of the owner, and not included in the services that are provided by Discount Tire. I'd look at these things first.

Assuming you have 200 miles on the tire, check the inflation, which should match the door placard. Rarely, the tech who balances the tire will mis-inflate or over-inflate them, and they won't be adjusted after they are installed the vehicle. (Hey, techs are human too; even the best ones occasionally make mistakes.) Unbalancing produces more of a distinct shaking at particular speeds, than a vague vibration, so before I went back to get a rotation or re-balancing (which should be free for the life of new tires installed at Discount Tires) I would get the vehicle's 4 wheel alignment checked, and if needed, corrected. During an alignment inspection the suspension is inspected for worn, loose or defective components. These checks and adjustments are normal maintenance items, which are outside the scope of the services provided by Discount Tire during a new tire installation.

Any time you get new tires from anyone- especially when you change sizes - the alignment should be checked after a few hundred miles. This isn't the tire installers responsibility, although techs at full service shops may do it. If the alignment is significantly off, it will void whatever tread life mileage warranty the tire manufacturer provides. In the case of the Geolandar H-T/S, it may be moot, since they don't seem to have a tread life warranty, but mis-alignment will significantly reduce the lifetime of your tires and degrade the handling of your Element.

I bought my last tires from Discount, and will return for future tire service, but fair is fair; I don't expect them to do things I didn't pay for.

·
Registered
288 Posts
225/75-16

I just bought some Geolander tires from, guess where, Discount Tire, too! They seem quieter and my Trip-E seems to drive and ride better. I say "seems" because I'm not sure it's just my imagination because I have new tires. My Goodyears only had around 12,000K on them. So far-I've only put about 50 miles on them-I haven't noticed any vibration and I had them on the highway. Will keep ya'll posted.
I had Discount Tire put on some 225/75-16 Geolanders in place of the original 225/70-16's that I got last week. Still like the ride and the way my E drives, also "feels" bigger-can't really describe it.

I liked the service I got from the store-will definitely go back there and would recomment them to anyone.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've got them, but in the stock size. Haven't really noticed any vibration, but I do know they are a touch noisier.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I have them too, in the stock size, and mine seem just a bit out of round, not out of balance, because the vibration is steady at almost all speeds. My E was almost uncontrollable on the highway with the oem Goodyears so they were replaced after about 3000 miles. The new tires turned driving from a white knuckle test of skill in to an enjoyable ride.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had a pair instaled friday , then hit the road to GA. they drove me crazy wining thumpung groweling vibrating. they were used.the bstones were getten thin.& it was stormin.,& I thought I would get some wheeles in GA ,(no luck) so I gess I is stupid again.(never hit any rain).eyes keeps looken.:-(

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got mine new about 800 miles ago. I've had zero problems with them. They ride smooth as glass, have awesome traction in wet/dry/whatever, and are quieter than the dying Dunlop highway tires I had on before.

Mine are 225s. I was a little worried about them rolling around turns, but that doesn't really seem to be happening at all (though I keep all 4 at 36psi right now). I certainly can't say I've had any of the problems mentioned here, but I suppose time will tell. So far so good.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
they told me it was my front tires.but put on some michilens to replace to geo's problem solved. At least 1 tire had a knot (seperation ). thats the chance you take when you get used crap.I was hoping to get some new wheeles & tires at the swap meet in georiga last saturday,no luck.I wont pay those kind of prices for china rims & china tires,thats more then I payed for my trick forged 15" wide racing wheeles & tires . to many peeps ploping down to much$$$$ just keeps driving up the prices for junk. just like the $150.00 bluejenes:shock:wtf. I gess thats why plastic is so popular.If I dont have money in my pocket to get it I dont get it. my plastic is for reservations for campsites & daves avatar:shock::razz:( just kidden about the campsties OOps I men't avatar) I'm not cheep but I do own my home x2,honda paid for,race car paid for,motercycle & 4 wheeler paidfor,bug paid for ,machines(milling, lathe, etc paid for. the way I sees it if you are paying for somebody else's stuff (Interst scams)you wont ever have your own.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I got mine new about 800 miles ago. I've had zero problems with them. They ride smooth as glass, have awesome traction in wet/dry/whatever, and are quieter than the dying Dunlop highway tires I had on before.

Mine are 225s. I was a little worried about them rolling around turns, but that doesn't really seem to be happening at all (though I keep all 4 at 36psi right now). I certainly can't say I've had any of the problems mentioned here, but I suppose time will tell. So far so good.
I recently put a set of GEO's on my E and I could not be happier. 225/70-16 HTSG051. I have improved traction, less noise, better handling than the Generals I had before installing the Yoko's. I have no complaints, only praise, for these tires. I am sorry to hear others are having grief with them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts