Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled across this site LINK that will pay you money to take photos of the campground you are staying at. It seems to be just in the western states for now. If you click on their photographers needed link, you can sign up to take photos. I love this idea and since the site is new, there are lots of campgrounds that need pics.

It only applies to state and fed parks that take reservations. I'm sure that these photos will eventually be integrated into the online reservation sites. How nice to see a pic of the actual campsite you will be occupying.

If you do this, make sure your Element is featured in most of the photos. :)

I'm signing up now. This will cover almost all of the cost of a summer camping trip. I will post later on the campgrounds I call dibs on...

Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
409 Posts
FYI - the military also pays you to camp and to meet fun and exciting people... :smile:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
:lol:

Thats why I can't get my kiddo to camp with us anymore!
He says he's done enough of that in the military!
20 years in the army, and I still love camping....
mind you, now I take a trailer....
wait....I pulled a trailer then too...a bigger trailer, and the truck was kinda boxy, and much bigger than the E...hmmmm

maybe not much has changed.....oh wait...no midnight watches....no one shooting at me....I get to sleep in...

ya, this is much better...lol

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
20 years in the army, and I still love camping....
mind you, now I take a trailer....
wait....I pulled a trailer then too...a bigger trailer, and the truck was kinda boxy, and much bigger than the E...hmmmm

maybe not much has changed.....oh wait...no midnight watches....no one shooting at me....I get to sleep in...

ya, this is much better...lol
I wish I could get him to change his mind, he used to really love it.
I always knew he would join the military, when he was a kid he used to set up permimeter traps with strings and cans around out campsite.

back to the topic:rolleyes:
I think thats a cool idea being able to see the sites.
Seeing your particular site may be more difficult since a lot of state parks wait till you arrive to assign your space.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks, Ol' Blue. I needed a good laugh.

Bob - if you have to ask .........:-(

Hooah! from an Army wife!
:rolleyes:As a retired Senior Chief (Navy) and retired 1st Sgt. (Va. Defense Force), I was hoping someone knew a secret about "getting paid" to camp. Looking for all the breaks you can get, FREE. I did my share of camping on the beaches on landing crafts many years ago!:D

·
Registered
816 Posts
The military pays you to camp

To be honest I did most of my "camping" in the Air Force at Motel 6. The only real "camping" was in basic training and that was in canvas eight man tents that must have weighed 200 pounds a piece. The Boy Scouts did a better job of preparing me for backpacking and bikepacking.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,930 Posts
The only real "camping" was in basic training and that was in canvas eight man tents that must have weighed 200 pounds a piece.
"200 lb canvas tents" sounds like the circus or the camping I did as a kid with my family 40 years ago- the tent was so heavy it took three of us to hoist it into the rooftop carrier on out station wagon. Of all the gear my Dad had, the only thing I emulated Coleman gasoline stove.

Modern gear can transform camp setup from unpleasant work to a minor inconvenience. Raw equipment durability may be more important than weight and labor in boot camp, but I'm guessing that RDFs in the field don't feel the same way.

·
Registered
816 Posts
You babbling thread jackers should ...

The topic is "Get Paid to go Camping" so military camping is on topic.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I apologize if I was abrupt, which I was. But this thread was about a specific website that I found that I thought might be interesting to other campers. In fact, I am taking advantage of it and will post soon about my first "pro camping" experience.

No worries.

Regards,
Greg

·
Registered
665 Posts
Awesome pic Greg.

Thanks for the link to the get paid to camp page. I found a ton of ones close to me that I want to take advantage of. May do some camping in the ones within a 100 mile radius of Marin/Sonoma. If you get up this way I will split the profits with you! It will pay your gas for these beautiful spots (if they do not close down).

·
Registered
941 Posts
Great photo. I might try to see is some of the VA campsites will qualify.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I tried to sign up as well; however, they got San Diego County covered.....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I tried to sign up as well; however, they got San Diego County covered.....
The site owner lives in Encinitas and will be doing the San Diego area. I, however, will be doing these campgrounds in Big Bear after father's day (Because I have to wait to watch Tiger win the US Open at Bethpage Black for the second time).

Hannah Flat - 88 sites
Serrano - 132 sites
Pineknot - 52 sites
Barton Flats - 52 sites
Northshore - 27 sites
Dogwood - 90 sites

I'll probably stay at Serrano and visit the others to take pics. Plan on staying M-F.

The next trip will be a loop from King's Canyon down through Morro Bay and hit a few on Highway 1 south of Camarillo.

I will keep you posted.

Regards,
Greg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts